IGNORED

Atari 8-bit Software Preservation Initiative

Farb

Yeah that one works fine. I believe that was an ATX released by atarimania?

Yes, this one is the Atarimania dump and is much older. The crashing one was added only to the latest torrent in Juliy.

It sounds like the version on the torrent was produced with an earlier version of Phaeron's converter that was missing a sector in some cases.

This dump has the same issues some of the MicroProse titles had which use the same protection. It has a missing sector 707 instead of a "long sector". SInce the status codes do not match, the protection fails.

Since reconverting has solved the problems for the MicroProse titles, this will most probably work for Rescue On Fractalus as well.

• Like 1

It sounds like the version on the torrent was produced with an earlier version of Phaeron's converter that was missing a sector in some cases.

Yes, according to my database, that ATX was generated with a8rawconv 0.91. Here is an ATX generated using 0.92. It is now showing a long sector so I assume this one will work better.

Rescue on Fractalus! (1985)(Activision)(GB).zip

• Like 2

Disk 1 Side A and Side B appear to be reversed on the following games..

S.A.G.A. 01 - Adventureland (1982)(Adventure International)(US)
S.A.G.A. 03 - Mission Impossible (1982)(Adventure International)(US)
S.A.G.A. 05 - The Count (1983)(Adventure International)(US)

Yes, there are a few other cases. IIRC, the same thing happens with Dallas Quest. You boot the back side, because the game saves on the front side.

But, IMHO, the file names of the images should follow the disk labels and not the physical position. In this case the boot side is the back side, doesn't matter. The file image for the boot side should not be named side B.

Adding to the confusion, note that the actual physical surface is always at the opposite side of the label. That is, the front side is recorded on the bottom side of the disk. This is obvious when you remember that Atari drives (as most single sided ones) have the only head at the bottom.

Are the following preserved? I am going to assume so unless told otherwise. (And, where do I look to find this out for myself?)

ValDOS I

ValDOS II

ValForth Turtle & valgraphics and Advanced Floating Point Routines

pns-forth 1.5

ValForth 1.1

QS Forth 1.0

Text Wizard 1.3

the Next Step

MicroPainter

Are the following preserved? I am going to assume so unless told otherwise. (And, where do I look to find this out for myself?)

ValDOS I

ValDOS II

pns-forth 1.5

ValForth 1.1

QS Forth 1.0

Text Wizard 1.3

the Next Step

MicroPainter

My ValFORTH set only had (sorry, my raw dump filenames here):

valFORTH_1.1_(Valpar International)_(panasonic 574-4, Splice 2x)
valFORTH_1.1_Utilities_and_Editor_(Valpar International)_(panasonic 574-4, Splice 2x)
So I think any other Valpar stuff is probably needed.
I dumped these, but I didn't ssee a version number on my Text Wizard:
Micropainter_(Datasoft, 1980)_(panasonic 574-4, Splice 2x)
Text_Wizard_(Datasoft, 1983)_SideA_Atari-825_(panasonic 574-4, Splice 2x)
Text_Wizard_(Datasoft, 1983)_SideB_Epson MX-80_(panasonic 574-4, Splice 4x)

The others I don't recognize personally. (I've kinda lost track of where the list is now-- it was a Google Docs thing, but I believe it got "databased" somewhere since then.) ;-)

-Clay

I don't think this has been preserved yet.

Though I can't get it to actually run - either the original disk or in the emulator. It freezeson the Loading screen. Maybe it has copy projection, or requires special hardware, or ... ?

-Kevin

attachicon.gifVirtuoso Play Mode Sampler v2.1.atr

attachicon.gifIMG_5550.JPG

Yes, this disk is copy protected. It is definitely at least looking for drive errors from one of the high sectors in the 707-720 range. Fortunately, it is easily bypassed. In Altirra, enable the debugger and type the following command into the command line of the Console window, and hit return:

bp -n -o 2a3d "r pc 277c"

Then boot the disk image. Patching the disk image is left as an exercise for the reader. Once the software loads, hit P to load and play the first tune.

post-16457-0-28664800-1478324365_thumb.png

• Like 2

ValDOS I

ValDOS II

pns-forth 1.5

ValForth 1.1

QS Forth 1.0

Text Wizard 1.3

the Next Step

MicroPainter

All the Valpar stuff is needed (except the valForth 1.1 disk, as mentioned above), and I haven't seen a dump for pns-Forth either.

AtariOnline has an ATR for QS Forth 1.0. It looks to be a good dump, but I've only tested it minimally at this point.

Edited by MrFish

I don't have much experience with Alterra (I've been trying it on my Mac because of the Atari800MacX audio issues)

Your fix didn't work as advertised. I don't know what else to do to fix it.

Altirra> bp -n -o 2a3d "r pc 277c"

Breakpoint 0 set at $2A3D.
(...I reboot)
CPU: Illegal instruction hit: 0017
(5327: 10, 61) A=30 X=04 Y=00 S=05 P=39 ( D C) 0016: 02 KIL

—Kevin

Yes, this disk is copy protected. It is definitely at least looking for drive errors from one of the high sectors in the 707-720 range. Fortunately, it is easily bypassed. In Altirra, enable the debugger and type the following command into the command line of the Console window, and hit return:

bp -n -o 2a3d "r pc 277c"

Then boot the disk image. Patching the disk image is left as an exercise for the reader. Once the software loads, hit P to load and play the first tune.

attachicon.gifvirtuoso.png

Though I can't get it to actually run - either the original disk or in the emulator. It freezeson the Loading screen. Maybe it has copy projection, or requires special hardware, or ... ?

Find attached a copy protected "Frankendisk" created from an ATX for SIlent Service which uses the exact same protection. I kept the last track from this image and replaced everything else with Kevin's dump.

The protection consistes of sectors with bad state and also duplicate sectors.

Btw.: I have the impression that it works only on XLs and XEs.

A crack will follow. It takes a little longer to do it.

Virtuoso Play Mode Sampler v2.1 (1985)(Enhanced Technology)(US)p.atx.zip

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 2

I don't have much experience with Alterra (I've been trying it on my Mac because of the Atari800MacX audio issues)

Your fix didn't work as advertised. I don't know what else to do to fix it.

Altirra> bp -n -o 2a3d "r pc 277c"

Breakpoint 0 set at $2A3D.
(...I reboot)
CPU: Illegal instruction hit: 0017
(5327: 10, 61) A=30 X=04 Y=00 S=05 P=39 ( D C) 0016: 02 KIL

—Kevin

Kevin, I think you suffer from a weird form of Tourettes when it comes to Altirra, you always call it Alterra :)

The only thing you missed when it hit the BP was to press F8 to carry on the run and then hit P..

Don't worry, you are not the only person who finds the debugger a little overpowering :)

I'm used to Omnimon with very basic commands, Altirra has commands I don't have a clue what to do with :) its really for full on devs and not incompetent hackers like me...

• Like 1

-Kevin

attachicon.gifVirtuoso Play Mode Sampler v2.1.atr

attachicon.gifIMG_5550.JPG

Many thank Kevin. That title is probably pretty rare. Any chance to get a raw low level dump? Did you mention you have a Kroyflux?

Btw. This is related to Virtuoso Desktop Studio I guess? Seems to be the same company (ETA).