get the result to fit into 8 bits.

So the asm is more accurate.

For ranges greater than 128 the bB code
calculates for range+1 and the truncation
results in it rounding down to the correct
range.

I think rand16 is very good for something
so compact and fast.

For something different (hopefully better)
I'd try combining rand16 with a different
random number generator.
Here's an example with a simple LCG

myseed = myseed * 16 + myseed + 103

myrand = rand ^ myseed

• 6 months later...

All my secrets?

There's a pearl script here that takes a .wav file and converts it to data.

First you need an audio program to take your sound and convert it down from 44.1KHz or whatever, down to 7Khz or 4KHz or 3.5KHz or some small rate but that still sounds still okay.

Then save it as an 8-bit .wav file.

Then in the terminal, I have OSX, run the script ./wave2atari.pl -wav mywav.wav -outfile mydata

It will make a text file with the sound data.

I hacked it into an assembly file that I edited to use with batari Basic's "include" command.

This is the smallest sound I've done so far. I'd say it uses 768 bytes.

Dude, Sire, Mate!

I understand clearly what you have done here, but when I think about the (ATARI) Hardware, I am confused.

That this will work in the end with my Emulator and my PC in the background: Okay!

But, will this really work via an ATARI TIA Chip? Or do you use a special Cartridge for the final product that

has an extra Sound-Chip included?

Thanks in advance for Information :)

iesposta has his own proprietary technique to add digitized samples to his batari BASIC games - no extra hardware required. Impressive!

Yes. It is a sound sample that the TIA plays.

I did say how I make it. It's even quoted above.

I did have to edit the asm a bit to use with Basic, but it only involves putting periods in front of labels.

I didn't write the script or the assembly. It's all still here on AtariAge. It uses 4 bits to set the volume register (0-15), two values per byte.

I would like to hear how 2 bit sound comes out. But with 2 bits you can only set volume 0, 1, 2 or 3...

Yes. It is a sound sample that the TIA plays.

I did say how I make it. It's even quoted above.

I did have to edit the asm a bit to use with Basic, but it only involves putting periods in front of labels.

I didn't write the script or the assembly. It's all still here on AtariAge. It uses 4 bits to set the volume register (0-15), two values per byte.

I would like to hear how 2 bit sound comes out. But with 2 bits you can only set volume 0, 1, 2 or 3...

Sometimes I'm not a very good reader. I missed where wave2atari.pl was posted for use. Doing a search on "wave2atari.pl" or "wave2atari" leads back to this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

I never played the phone game but heard a lot about it.

IS this the bird from Joust! in this version? It sure reminds me of him. I am digging this game.

Thanks for digging my game and taking the time to say so.

I had Joust on my mind when programming this. I wanted a long neck funny animation (and I never played the iPhone game either, just watched a YouTube video).

There is only so much design you can do with single color double scan line sprites.

Thanks for digging my game and taking the time to say so.

I had Joust on my mind when programming this. I wanted a long neck funny animation (and I never played the iPhone game either, just watched a YouTube video).

There is only so much design you can do with single color double scan line sprites.

You did good :) Very addictive. I have the 2600emu on my phone and I handed it to my little girl who said "Its like Flappy Bird" and naturally I lost my phone for thirty minutes.

• Like 1

I actually bought this game and it arrived a few days ago. It's pretty good, it looks nice, and it's rather fun. The only thing is it doesn't play anything similar to the iPhone game. Because you get so little vertical height with each button press, there is little risk of hitting the underside of a pipe, which is what makes Flappy Bird such a difficult game.

Regards,

George

• Like 1

I actually bought this game and it arrived a few days ago. It's pretty good, it looks nice, and it's rather fun. The only thing is it doesn't play anything similar to the iPhone game. Because you get so little vertical height with each button press, there is little risk of hitting the underside of a pipe, which is what makes Flappy Bird such a difficult game.

Regards,

George

I tried Flappy Bird on my daughter's tablet after playing this game and you are right the control is different. This is more like the Ostrich from Joust! is in the Flappy Bird world :) I like that because I am a longtime Joust fan. I prefer this to the original phone game.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just purchased this cartridge and found a bug that I also noticed when playring the rom on the Harmony cart. If you get 3 low pipes in a row that don't require you to hit the joystick button to make Flappy go higher, the bird starts rolling fast on the screen. It doesn't seem to affect the pipes or background.

I tried to take a picture of the problem, but they came out with black bars on the screen. To my eye I don't see the bars, just Flappy rolling. But if you press the joystick button, he stops rolling and the game continues. Otherwise he dies when the next pipe comes along.

I'm surpised nobody else noticed this. I guess I must be the only one lazy enough to let Flappy rest on the clouds when I don't need to flap. :-D

Note: The reflection on the left of the screen is the window behind me.

post-7728-0-23706000-1449946082_thumb.jpg

post-7728-0-48405600-1449946099_thumb.jpg

post-7728-0-43896500-1449946112_thumb.jpg

I just purchased this cartridge and found a bug that I also noticed when playring the rom on the Harmony cart. If you get 3 low pipes in a row that don't require you to hit the joystick button to make Flappy go higher, the bird starts rolling fast on the screen. It doesn't seem to affect the pipes or background.

I tried to take a picture of the problem, but they came out with black bars on the screen. To my eye I don't see the bars, just Flappy rolling. But if you press the joystick button, he stops rolling and the game continues. Otherwise he dies when the next pipe comes along.

I'm surpised nobody else noticed this. I guess I must be the only one lazy enough to let Flappy rest on the clouds when I don't need to flap. :-D

I've noticed this bug as well, so rest assured, you are not the only one that lazy :-D Actually, I always thought of it as coasting to give your finger a rest.

Programmer here.

Wow, just tried this and it even happens in emulation.

This game was the only time I did not use the DPC+ Kernel for batari Basic, to keep costs down.

I did not program this behavior, so it is a bug in the Multi-Sprite Kernel, and I wouldn't have the first clue as how to correct it aside from adding a programmed button press after each point..

I hope you'll enjoy my/our other upcoming batari Basic games like DK Arcade 2600, and hacks like Dr. Who Berzerk and Wizard of Wor Arcade!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Recently got a Flashback Portable and decided to try Flappy out.

Attached are the results. I would like to try previous versions of Flappy to see if the results would be different/better.

Darn. All kinds of fail here!

The cart-added Flashback 2 this is "playable" with some garbage pixels near the bottom that do not affect game play.

•The missile dot is too far to the right. It should float around the center of the bird.

•The pipe is just Player 0 super tall that moves up/down. Maybe the data extending above and below the visible screen is wrecking the timing because of the skewed display?

•The death speech sample also fails. Maybe because there it doesn't generate a 262 stable screen?

My ToysRUs preorder was cancelled along with everyone else...

Quick test (at work) shows that R0 was the one that works the best. The pipes are not completely aligned, but more to the middile of the screen. Also after R0 the gap is always towards the bottom of the screen. Which makes for easier game play but... :P