IGNORED

What's the WORST price you've seen on Atari stuff?

totallyterrificpants

That second Craigslist link is COMPLETELY reasonable. I mean, it has at least one Apollo game I can see...[emoji849]

It's like people think, "This is old, so it MUST be worth a fortune, right. Right?!"

Sent from my iPhone directly into your brain using Tapatalk

I love how the 7800 stick is eviscerated in a seemingly impossible way and that is the best use of that emoticon that I've ever seen.

People asking astronomically high prices for this stuff are dumb, but they've been trained by things like Antique Roadshow to believe there are rich fortune hunters looking for old games. SNES games are silly overpriced from my perspective right now.

Despite seeing the high prices of wishful thinkers everywhere, I'm still shocked and amazed that the old games cost $30 for what feels like little minigames nowadays. I never get tired of looking at the old Sears Wishbook prices.

• Like 1

People asking astronomically high prices for this stuff are dumb, but they've been trained by things like Antique Roadshow to believe there are rich fortune hunters looking for old games. SNES games are silly overpriced from my perspective right now.

Despite seeing the high prices of wishful thinkers everywhere, I'm still shocked and amazed that the old games cost $30 for what feels like little minigames nowadays. I never get tired of looking at the old Sears Wishbook prices.

I don't see how people who are young and getting into old stuff can look at the SNES with a straight face!? I mean, it looks like a pastel purple Lego brick with a bunch of little, boxy Lego bricks to stuff into it. Most of the best stuff from it's library other that Nintendo specific character worship games were made better later on newer systems. Chronotrigger, most of the Final Fantasy series, Breath of Fire, the myriad of classics collections everywhere. I feel like when I play one it's like I walked back from a rock concert and now this little wind up jack in the box will do fine. :roll:

The Super Famicom looks dope, though. It's sleek and rad like the 1701-D. They also had a lot more anime specific titles for it's Japanese target audience that would have totally rocked as translated games. I guess we were all just too dumb to like those games!? :dunce:

Edited by Papa

• 1 month later...

I decided to check Kijiji this morning and had a good laugh at this. The sellers on there usually ask way more than they can reasonably get, and their stuff sits on there forever, but this is a whole other level. He painstakingly made an ad like this for every single game on the list, thinking he was sitting on a gold mine. These aren't even in mint condition or anything. Some of these cartridges look like they've been stored at the bottom of a swamp. This $50 Space Invaders doesn't have an end label. Keep in mind these are Canadian dollars, but unless the Canadian dollar plummeted overnight without me realizing, these prices are just a tiny bit high.

post-48340-0-28907800-1480956703_thumb.png

post-48340-0-73077800-1480956704_thumb.png

Those prices are a bit high (especially for loose cartridges), but consider when was the last time that you found anything Atari-related in Edmonton. Not everyone wants to use eBay or other online sources; some of us prefer the convenience of local retail (and the ability to pay cash for our purchases). For this, some people are willing to pay a premium.

If I badly wanted to play Space Invaders on original hardware, and I did not wish to use eBay, this is really my only choice (the local flea market may be marginally cheaper, but there is no guarantee that the vendor there will have the specific game that I want). The seller is going after a very specific niche audience, and the (potential) customers are paying a premium for being part of that specific niche.

Here are some current eBay listings.

Atari 2600 Woodgrain Console for $700: "Used Atari no controllers but everything else can include some games"

Missile Command for $699.99 that the seller is trying to trick people into thinking came from the Alamogordo landfill: "Here's a wonderful opportunity to own a small piece of gaming history!!! Up for auction is an Atari 2600 Missile Command, same as the ones pulled from the infamous Alamogordo dump! This has no certificates or authenticity included, but looks way better than some that are pulled from there. And it works!!"

This seller is also trying to pull the same thing with Defender for $899.99, Centipede for $599.99, and Asteroids for $999.99.

Donkey Kong for the 2600 for $800

4-Switch 2600 for $300: "No major damages to Atari. Just normal, used wear. Atari works great. Completely playable. Not sure if all games work but most do. We've mostly just played Pacman. It is being sold with the piece that connects to a regular tv so that you can play it on one. Comes with Pacman, Donkey Kong, River Raid, Pole Position, Battle Zone, Haunted House, Space Invaders, Berserk, Armor Ambush, and more. Has four controllers."

ET for the 2600 for $250

Those prices are a bit high (especially for loose cartridges), but consider when was the last time that you found anything Atari-related in Edmonton. Not everyone wants to use eBay or other online sources; some of us prefer the convenience of local retail (and the ability to pay cash for our purchases). For this, some people are willing to pay a premium.

If I badly wanted to play Space Invaders on original hardware, and I did not wish to use eBay, this is really my only choice (the local flea market may be marginally cheaper, but there is no guarantee that the vendor there will have the specific game that I want). The seller is going after a very specific niche audience, and the (potential) customers are paying a premium for being part of that specific niche.

I just don't see a lot of this stuff selling for prices like this though. I've seen stuff on Kijiji with standard ebay prices sit for months until the seller lowered the price. I saw a four switch with 17 games go from $120 to $65 before it was sold. When it was $120 I offered him $100 and he declined, so I got a kick out of it. While there is a lot less Atari stuff for sale locally than online, there's also a much smaller consumer base. If someone is willing to pay these prices, I have no problem with that, but I think this seller will be waiting a long time for the right person to come along. I don't so much see this from the buyer's perspective, because people can pay whatever they are willing to pay, and if they pay too much that's their own problem, but I'm imagining being that seller and sitting there for months and months trying to get $50 for Space Invaders and it makes me chuckle. For me personally, I can go out and find good deals with a bit of effort, so I don't get mad or upset about this kind of thing.

I ran into this gem when i was looking for cheap faulty systems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ATARI-2600-HOME-VIDEO-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-BUNDLE-CONSOLE-JOYSTICKS-GAMES-/172428022884?hash=item282582d464:g:oHoAAOSwEzxYP1T-

For those who don't wish to click the link, this is a 4 switch Atari VCS with 6 games, power and a/v adapters, and conjoined TI-99 joysticks. The console does not work, his professional opinion is the AC adapter is bad, and all the games and controllers are untested.

It's US $150 + shipping (which doesn't seem to be flat rate) "buy it now" or make offer... You think $10 is too cheeky?

I ran into this gem when i was looking for cheap faulty systems.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ATARI-2600-HOME-VIDEO-COMPUTER-SYSTEM-BUNDLE-CONSOLE-JOYSTICKS-GAMES-/172428022884?hash=item282582d464:g:oHoAAOSwEzxYP1T-

For those who don't wish to click the link, this is a 4 switch Atari VCS with 6 games, power and a/v adapters, and conjoined TI-99 joysticks. The console does not work, his professional opinion is the AC adapter is bad, and all the games and controllers are untested.

It's US $150 + shipping (which doesn't seem to be flat rate) "buy it now" or make offer... You think $10 is too cheeky?

"Console tested and light doesn't turn on"

What light? 4-switchers don't have lights on them.

I offered $20 with a note "this is not worth $150, sorry" and will report back what the seller says. I hope they don't take my offer, I don't want a busted Atari!

Here's what I got back.

Please respond to this counteroffer. Seller's counteroffer: US $100.00 Offer expires in: 47 hours 58 mins Seller's terms: I'm willing to work with you on price. How about $100?

:lolblue:

I declined it and just got this.

Greetings from John at JRRecRoom! Your interest in the Atari bundle I have for sale is appreciated. I'm all about giving my customers a good deal so for one time only, how does $75 sound? If that sounds good, feel free to make the offer. Thank you very much and I look forward to doing business with you soon!