IGNORED

Super Retro Boy & other game boy clones

godslabrat

You people complaining about the cart sticking out, did you actually buy one yet and see how awesome it is despite the 6mm overhang? Seems noone who actually bought one is complaining about it. Hmmm...

Why would I, if I care about overhang?

Have you tried an M3? It does some stuff everdrive doesn't, and is pretty slick overall.

I really don't see how why the everdrive gba has such devoted fans. It should be better than it is for what it costs, IMO.

Granted, I've bought things before just so I could rag on them with more authority, but it's a bit expensive for that.

But this thread's more about us finding reasons to hate on an upcoming handheld. ;)

We could actually have fresh info as soon as tomorrow on it. Hope the screen's got the right aspect ratio, at least--but I'm not counting on it. I also predict a 30% chance that the d-pad will be ruined in some obvious way.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

You people complaining about the cart sticking out, did you actually buy one yet and see how awesome it is despite the 6mm overhang? Seems noone who actually bought one is complaining about it. Hmmm...

That's selection bias in action. Why would I buy one if it sticks out like a goiter?

You keep mentioning 6mm as if that is really small. A grain of sand is annoying if it's in the wrong place.

6mm isn't small, not when you're talking about an accessory to something that's designed to be small and cute. Also, it seems bigger than 6mm to me.

original.jpg

Qlst7.png

Okay 7mm.

x 60mm = 4.2 square centimeters of superfluous plastic shit sticking out of my beautiful GBA SP!!

Not okay!!!

:-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :twisted: :P (not that I needed yet another way to play GBA games anyway ... but this issue just annoying enough to make me keep my money in my pocket. I have other flash cartridges that sit flush but aren't as slick, and of course there's emulators. If they make a flush flash everdrive, I'm in)

Getting back on topic...

MdShUpy.jpg

It comes! :o

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/say_hello_to_the_super_retro_boy_an_all-in-one_game_boy_solution

I think the L and R button placement will be less than ideal for a lot of Game Boy Advance games, but I like that they went with the classic Game Boy form factor. At the MSRP of $80 I'll buy one if it can display Game Boy / Color games in their native aspect ratio and doesn't stretch them to fit the GBA screen ratio.

The rechargable battery pack does worry me slightly, since it may be proprietary and require some ingenuity to replace when it eventually wears out after a few years, but since I'm kind of a fanatic for all things Game Boy I'd be willing to give it a shot as long as they get the aspect ratios right.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4

Interesting. It will be nice to see the real hardware. Scratch and shatter resistant, yay! TFT? Hmm, OK if it's a good one, though IPS is more buzzword compliant. 10-in-1 cartridge included. Would an Everdrive fit in there without leaving its junk hanging over the edge?

"Double injection TPU side panels" -- is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

I assume these are the games on the 10-in-1 cartridge.

original.jpg

x 60mm = 4.2 square centimeters of superfluous plastic shit sticking out of my beautiful GBA SP!!

Not okay!!!

I think you people are looking at it the wrong way. You're approaching this device like it's some type of grotesque "goiter" sticking out of the console body or something. It isn't. Think of the GBA as a space ship. You know, when you upgrade the booster rockets, sometimes you get a little bit of extra tail pipe sticking out the back. It is totally worth it, and a thing of beauty. Just saying.

post-33189-0-63156500-1483639725_thumb.jpg

Also thought this would be a good excuse to show off my GIMP skills! :grin:

Getting back on topic...

Sorry Jin, I've spent almost the last hour creating that GBA spaceship; I just had to post it! Carry on...

• Like 1

MdShUpy.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/say_hello_to_the_super_retro_boy_an_all-in-one_game_boy_solution

I think the L and R button placement will be less than ideal for a lot of Game Boy Advance games, but I like that they went with the classic Game Boy form factor. At the MSRP of $80 I'll buy one if it can display Game Boy / Color games in their native aspect ratio and doesn't stretch them to fit the GBA screen ratio.

The rechargable battery pack does worry me slightly, since it may be proprietary and require some ingenuity to replace when it eventually wears out after a few years, but since I'm kind of a fanatic for all things Game Boy I'd be willing to give it a shot as long as they get the aspect ratios right.

If this works with the GB Everdrive and the GBA X5, I am sold.

@Flojo: if it works anything like the classic GBA, those oversize Game Boy Classic carts will most definitely stick out, and I wouldn't have it any other way! :rolling:

• Like 1

I think you guys are looking at it the wrong way. You're approaching this device like it's some type of grotesque "goiter" sticking out of the console body or something. It isn't. Think of the GBA as a space ship. You know, when you upgrade the booster rockets, sometimes you get a little bit of extra tail pipe sticking out the back. It is totally worth it, and a thing of beauty. Just saying.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 4

maxresdefault.jpg

I actually had one of those Handy Boys when I was growing up! I really loved it back then and thought it was ridiculously cool, but then again I was 10 years old at the time. These days I think I'd rather save myself the carpal tunnel and just install a backlight kit in my original Game Boy. :lol:

Edited by Jin
  • Like 1

Jin as a child, roughing it

Original-LightBoy-Ad-gameboy-1987293-640

Close, but not quite. Back then when I wanted to play Game Boy late at night when I was supposed to be sleeping (before I got the Handy Boy that is) I used to hide under the blankets with Coleman electric latern to illuminate the Game Boy's screen. I guess it was pretty effective because I don't think my parents ever caught me engaging in after-hours covert Game Boy ops, but the trade off was that a couple years later when I was 12 I ended up having to start wearing glasses; and I'm pretty sure I know why. :lol:

On a more recent note, my Game Boy Color seems to have sprouted a rather large and bulbous invincibility enabling growth...

5bQI0t2.jpg

• Like 1

Getting back on topic...

MdShUpy.jpg

Aspect ratio is going to be key, as will game fidelity itself. I'm sure wherever the L and R manage to be, I'll adapt. The mockup seems to lack a link port, though. Hope that was just an oversight.

I think there are more questions than not about that new 'Gameboy' from retrobit given their checkered past with quality. That said though, those $20 multicarts with Jaleco goodies are a no brainer buy even if you're just into a handful of games on each because some of them alone can go for 2.5x or more the total value of the cart for an original and if you're not some insane collectard with that pokemon gotta catch em all mentality it's a good way to go with it. I'm overly tempted by that Gameboy cart, not so much the others as I doubt they'd get as much use but maybe?

The gameboy though...how replaceable is that battery, how much can it be charged and re-charged. Quality of the screen...got any annoying ass pillar boxing or some funky off sized LCD that'll mess up how the titles should look for GB/GBC stuff since they're a box vs the widescreen-ish way GBA displays? How about the speaker quality? Perhaps the color quality, LCD refresh(blur/ghosting) or other issues with the panel. Big one... compatibility? GOing to jack up like 1-2% of the games (some people adore) like that overly hyped GB Boy Color chinese piece of junk people goo goo over because it's backlit? At $80 this better damn well play any game thrown at it outside of some screwball thing like Kirby with its sensor or some other unique cart with issues (Boktai maybe?) It also better have a stellar screen like the AGS-101 has going for it, and some nice speakers on it so it's not muffled or weak. Emulator, copied hardware since ARM chips are cheap, or some system on a chip bunk?

Oh and I guess with the pack in game being surely that Gameboy multi-cart, it kind of throws the price down to $60 on the thing doesn't it? That Gameboy cart has some quality titles, some that didn't hit the US like Rodland which are exceptionally well made, and also some scalper scum have through the roof like Avenging Spirit. I do wonder if the multicarts aside from their inane CRC checking on the NES side for mappers would run on the retron5? I'd think the Gameboy fairly likely, hirom or lorom 50/50 on the SNES one.

• Like 2

If this thing can run SNES games from that multicart, can we assume this whole device is just a cpu running emulators? The L and R placement will make games like F-Zero, Mega Man Zero, and all the FPS games unplayable....

I can't say I'm disappointed because I wasn't expecting anything great, but this doesn't seem to satisfy the "Give me something that the GBA SP doesn't already do".

Edited by zetastrike

Zeta, the SNES multicart is for their SNES clone system. The gameboy clone would run the gameboy multicart.

What can this do that the GBA SP doesn't already do? If nothing else, it can be stocked in retail stores and sold new. That's something.

Sorry, I was unclear on that. There's hardly any info in that article. I guess if the AGS 001 won't due and you NEED a backlight, it would be easier to buy one of these than hunt down a 101 or micro and pay a ton for it. That L and R placement will suck for many games though. I hope there are also buttons on the back.

• Like 1