IGNORED

Altirra 2.80 released

phaeron

Oh nice, I can load tapes at 1200 baud :-)

Since when did this happen?

I have one request, if that is not too much to ask.

One extra disk-drive setting working at 115k2

Or a pull-down window for 19k2, 38k4, 57k6 and 115k2....

(I'm debugging/working on SIO2BT working at different baudrates).

Nice job as always Avery!

??

Where did this come from?

Are you talking the C: patch?

Been there forever...

Sorry, I mean MyBIOS can load under altirra at higher baudrates.

I use a .cas file with a changed header for testing, saying it to play at a different baudrate the the stock 600.

The BIOS I have can do 6000 baud on tape-loading.

In altirra all C: patches disabled of course.

Oh goodie, even 2400 baud works :-)

CLOAD from basic.

Hunt the Wumpas_2400.zip

Edited by mr-atari

How do you set this up for me to try please?

Thanks

Just tried setting beta 16 MyBIOS as XL rom and using the menu to boot cassette with all the patches off, Wumpas makes 4 odd noises then its a continuous hum till 50 sec mark and nothing.

I presume I'm doing it wrong?

Edited by Mclaneinc

Great thanks for the faster than fast answer. And the other semi technical explanations of how things work, like the post on NTSC colors. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/256683-altirra-280-released/?p=3664909

I also found Authentic NTSC settings to be nicely done. By making a couple of minor adjustments I was able to achieve what I remember to be accurate shield colors in Star Raiders. Perhaps the adjustments aren't needed on all monitors, just mine - to dial in perfection. Kudos!

How do you set this up for me to try please?

Thanks

Just tried setting beta 16 MyBIOS as XL rom and using the menu to boot cassette with all the patches off, Wumpas makes 4 odd noises then its a continuous hum till 50 sec mark and nothing.

I presume I'm doing it wrong?

I think you use the START-key for bootable tapes.

But Hunt the wumpas is a BASIC-program.

Ok, using Beta16:

-The OS boots into the menu.

-Press OPTION.

Atari boots into BASIC, you see READY.

-File, Cassette, Load...

-Select the 2400 baud file.

CLOAD (return).

Tape loads, after 20s, beeps, after 50s ready

I checked the detected tape-baudrate at $2EE and it reads $171, matching about 2400 baud.

The CAS-file I uploaded has a changed baudrate-header were I changed 600 into 2400.

Would be nice if Altirra has an overwrite option for this. ;-)

Same would be nice for the record-caps, these are now 260ms long, taking 1/3 of the time -lol-

MyBIOS can do almost zero gaps, making loading/testing tapes more fun.

(I use a registered APE-version with tape-overwrite options on the real hardware)

Okay so this is a weird one ...

I got a new (Windows 10) laptop at Christmas this year. One of the first things I did was load up Stella and (of course) the latest build of Altirra. 2.90-test21 runs fine on the new machine. However, tonight I downloaded 2.90-test23 and it boots up to a completely black screen. No matter what options I select in the menus, nothing appears in the display - this is for the x64 and x86 versions. However again, 2.90-test21 works great. Both versions are sitting side by side in their own folders on my D: drive, running on exactly the same hardware and exactly the same version of Windows.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Okay so this is a weird one ...

I got a new (Windows 10) laptop at Christmas this year. One of the first things I did was load up Stella and (of course) the latest build of Altirra. 2.90-test21 runs fine on the new machine. However, tonight I downloaded 2.90-test23 and it boots up to a completely black screen. No matter what options I select in the menus, nothing appears in the display - this is for the x64 and x86 versions. However again, 2.90-test21 works great. Both versions are sitting side by side in their own folders on my D: drive, running on exactly the same hardware and exactly the same version of Windows.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on?

Not offhand.

• How's test22?
  • Do you see the "Option" indicator on reset, or the disk drive indicator when booting a disk?
  • Any settings look weird in System > Video > Adjust Color?
  • Enabling or disabling artifacting make any difference?
  • Changing the filter mode in View > Filter Mode make any difference?

Another puzzle I'd like to eventually solve is how the 800 gets its weird cyan/green artifacting. The colors are so close together on the hue wheel that I can't emulate it using normal artifacting algorithms and haven't been able to come up with a plausible explanation for what kind of signal distortion could cause it.

Although I haven't tested it, it would be logical if it was caused by the already-known issue with the way CTIA/GTIA generates its 7.16 MHz clock (we discussed it here). Apparently, if the duty cycle of PHI0 is not symmetrical, this could cause difference in widths of hires pixels in odd vs. even columns. This could significantly change artifact colours.

On a related note - has anyone ever tested if adjusting the GTIA colour pot causes the artifact colours to change? The GTIA spec indicates that adjusting the pot should change phases of all 15 hues, including the colorburst; if that was true, then it would result in changing of the artifact colours.

Edited by Kr0tki
  • Like 3

Not offhand.

• How's test22?
  • Do you see the "Option" indicator on reset, or the disk drive indicator when booting a disk?
  • Any settings look weird in System > Video > Adjust Color?
  • Enabling or disabling artifacting make any difference?
  • Changing the filter mode in View > Filter Mode make any difference?

Hi Avery -

• ​test22 is no-go as well. Just a black application window, same as test23. All menus are functional and the settings are selectable, but the virtual machine never seems to boot up.
  • I *do* see the "Option" indicator on reset, but nothing appears on the virtual screen and I don't hear the usual Atari "brrrrrrrp" you get when you rest or boot the machine. I can mount disk images through the File menu as expected but again, the emulated Atari doesn't actually boot.
  • I don't think any of the settings in the System > Video > Adjust Color menu look unusual. I certainly didn't change any of them from the defaults.
  • Enabling and disabling artifacting makes no difference.
  • Changing filter mode makes no difference.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

EDIT: Okay, for giggles I looked back in the thread and downloaded test19 and test20 as well. Neither of them will run properly either. Could this be some weird Windows registry issue preventing other versions of the program from running properly? It's been 6 or 8 years since I've run a personal Winbox seriously but I remember oddball stuff like this from years past.

EDITED AGAIN: And to add further mystery, even the current-release 2.81 behaves the same: just blank, black application window with no indication the emulated Atari is booting.

Edited by DrVenkman

Have you tried resetting the options via Tools / options /settings?

Backup any registry / config file first

I do this on many releases when it starts to do 'odd' things...

Not blaming Avery, just OS behaviour in general...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

Have you tried resetting the options via Tools / options /settings?

Backup any registry / config file first

I do this on many releases when it starts to do 'odd' things...

Not blaming Avery, just OS behaviour in general...

EUREKA! :)

​Thanks!

post-30400-0-32505700-1484265132_thumb.png

Edited by DrVenkman
  • Like 1

Avery, would it be possible to have a separate export / import for the Profiles, its the one pain I have if for some reason the settings don't work here on a new beta or I mess up the profiles, recreating them from scratch for the various models in PAL, NTSC, X amount of Memory, certain devices etc just takes forever, I'm sadly not empowered with the typing speed of The Flash :)

I could run it in portable mode and simply copy the Profiles part and replace it as needed but I don't like messing with ini's.

Anyway, as always its merely a thought, if you like the idea then great, if not then tough luck on me :)

Thank you as always..

Paul..

Those of us running Altirra under wine on OSX know there is a miserable key mapping issue that prevents ALT+key commands from working properly and this really hampers use of the emulator - such as not being able to switch to and from full screen etc.

Well I found this lovely little hack that makes Altirra under wine a total joy to use - http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/winekeymap.html

You replace your existing version in /Wine.app/Contents/Resources/lib/wine/winemac.drv.so

sTeVE

• Like 3

Just a minor update:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.90-test24.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.90-test24-src.zip

Adds some protection against bad color values, moves some code around internally, and retweaks the NTSC defaults. Turns out the last time I retuned it I had forgotten to disable f.lux... oops. Saturation's been raised a bit so that the screen doesn't look as pale.

Although I haven't tested it, it would be logical if it was caused by the already-known issue with the way CTIA/GTIA generates its 7.16 MHz clock (we discussed it here). Apparently, if the duty cycle of PHI0 is not symmetrical, this could cause difference in widths of hires pixels in odd vs. even columns. This could significantly change artifact colours.

On a related note - has anyone ever tested if adjusting the GTIA colour pot causes the artifact colours to change? The GTIA spec indicates that adjusting the pot should change phases of all 15 hues, including the colorburst; if that was true, then it would result in changing of the artifact colours.

I tried changing the duty cycle. With rounded pulses, it shifts the phase of the artifact colors, but not the phase difference between them. The effect has to be a more subtle one that isn't linear -- as long as the even and odd pixel signals are constrained to add linearly to DC, it's impossible for the two signals to have anything other than opposing phases at 3.58MHz.

As for whether the adjustment changes the artifact colors, the answer is yes, it does. The three pictures below are from an 800XL running the Colormap program from the Altirra additions disk, on original setting and shifted away in both directions.

post-16457-0-69878000-1485058798_thumb.jpgpost-16457-0-15537200-1485058802_thumb.jpgpost-16457-0-56210100-1485058805_thumb.jpg

The right side is the traditional color table, while the left side is artifacting patterns at luma 8 and various hues. This means that the top row has the pure artifacting colors while the ones below it are the vector summed with the GTIA colors. The artifact colors do change, because while the phase of the luma signal doesn't change, the color burst (hue 1) does, and so the relative phase changes.

The pictures are from a capture device, so the colors don't quite match what shows up on my TV, where red and blue at luma 0/2 are roughly the same visible brightness, due to the difference in NTSC decoding -- the capture device is decoding the colors using the standard YIQ matrix. I would have taken a picture except that both of the digital cameras are pretty useless at taking a picture of this screen, for some reason (way blown out colors).

EDITED AGAIN: And to add further mystery, even the current-release 2.81 behaves the same: just blank, black application window with no indication the emulated Atari is booting.

Hmm, strange. The simulation was definitely running, but the emulated computer wasn't booting. I'm guessing it was because of a misconfigured device or missing firmware for a device. Well, if you see it again, I'd be interested in the exported contents of the Registry or the INI file if you're running in portable mode.

Avery, would it be possible to have a separate export / import for the Profiles, its the one pain I have if for some reason the settings don't work here on a new beta or I mess up the profiles, recreating them from scratch for the various models in PAL, NTSC, X amount of Memory, certain devices etc just takes forever, I'm sadly not empowered with the typing speed of The Flash :)

I could run it in portable mode and simply copy the Profiles part and replace it as needed but I don't like messing with ini's.

Yeah, this is a good idea but I'd need to clean up the profile system first. Right now they're not well controlled, so you can have bogus settings riding along in the profile. You can export them from the Registry if you want for now, since they're grouped by folder.

• Like 7

Avery, this ISN'T a feature request, its purely a 'can it be done' under emulation.

There's been talk of Quad Pokey boards offering 16 channel potential which sounds really nice and that's why it isn't a feature request as its an unrealised nicety and nothing really to do with emulation of the Atari as to current hardware.

Could the engine you made actually be adapted to perform this or does it hit limitations?

Me personally would be more than happy if someone made a real board and I heard the songs via MP3, the idea of emulation really for me stands at 1 out of a score of a 1000 in real terms, maybe if boards became widespread and you were very bored that week :)

Seriously, its just a 'could it' and nothing more..

At the beginning I'm sorry, but I do not know English and I use the Google Translator.

I have trouble with the emulator and obtainable size of the image. Switching from emulator window to full screen (Alt + Enter) and run the emulator directly to the full-screen works very well. The size of the image is always the same. The problem occurs when you enable emulation VBXE. Then the inclusion of the emulator in full screen gives you the big picture normal, but puts it in the box by Alt + Enter, and return to full screen also by Alt + Enter displays the reduced screen. To fix this, you need the full screen mode to close the emulator and run it again.

Link to the video, which we can observe this strange behavior emulator: https://youtu.be/i3BHzCw6Hoc

Do not know if this is a matter of bad emulator settings, but whether this is a mistake.

I hope that the Google translator to translate all good :)

Regards,

larek

Possibly related and could be a bug...

Win 7 X64..

I use two monitors, a crt for emulation and my 23" HP for everything else, if I drag Altirra to the small display, its happy and boots up there every time but after reading the above I thought I'd have a play and found that if I set it to FS on the small monitor and exited then it would then startup on the big screen the next time it was ran as FS, if I held ALT + ENTER it then went back to a window as expected but on the small monitor. So I played some more and found that if I made it FS on the small monitor and exited I would see an Altirra on the status at the bottom of the screen as if it was still running and the way to get rid of it was simply to click on it.

This happens every time, windowed stays on the monitor it was last started on but FS starts always on the big monitor when restarted..

Settings reset and the same...This is in PAL XL mode (no VBXE) but if I set to NTSC it all happens the same but you don't get the strange Altirra box on the status (by strange it shows no settings on it unlike the normal one on the status that shows OS etc..

Pretty sure I've had it FS on the small monitor and it staying there so must be a pretty recent change..

Also small item, I exported the Profiles group in the registry before I reset the settings, after tinkering I merged the registry settings back in and although the profiles folder with its various contents are now back in the registry the new profiles do not get picked up in the profiles window and it shows just the defaults despite being in the registry.

Me doing something wrong I expect, all I did was highlight the profiles group, go to export on the right click and save them. Reset the settings and then merged back, no profiles found bar the defaults..

Edited by Mclaneinc