IGNORED

Dungeons of Asgard - game under development

Asmusr

This game is far from complete, but after a few months of development I think it's time for a playable demo. The game requires a SAMS card to run, and currently also requires a joystick for control (support for S, D, E, X added in version 0.2.0).

post-35226-0-14886300-1484329451_thumb.png

The game has a very limited set of items and monsters as it is, and has not been adjusted for difficulty. Saving and loading is using a fixed file name DSK1.DOASAVE. Many features are incomplete, and some items are just dummies. Some stats (INT, WIS) are completely ignored. Still, if you discover crashes or anything definitely wrong I'm interested in knowing.

Controls:

• 1: Set 8x8 tile mode.
  • 2: Set 16x16 tile mode.
  • 3: Set 2 rows message area.
  • 4: Set 4 rows message area.
  • 5: Disable stats panel.
  • 6: Enable stats panel.
  • Joystick left, right, up, down: Move player; Attack; Specify direction for directional command; Select item in dialog (inventory, equipment, shop).
  • Joystick fire, space: Close dialog (inventory, equipment, shop, map).
  • S, D, E, X: Move left, right, up, down.
  • G: Get item.
  • O: Open door (directional).
  • C: Close door (directional).
  • L: Look (directional).
  • T: Tunnel (directional).
  • >: Go down staircase.
  • <: Go up staircase.
  • I: Inventory.
  • W: Wear/wield (from inventory).
  • D: Drop (from inventory). Item will be lost.
  • U: Use (from inventory).
  • S: Sell (from inventory in shop area).
  • Q: Equipment.
  • R: Remove (from equipment). Transfer to inventory.
  • B: Enter shop (from shop area only); Buy item (from shop).
  • M: Display Map.
  • Ctrl+S: Save game (from town only).
  • Ctrl+L: Load game.
  • Ctrl+R: Restart game.

I'm attaching the game on disk and as an image compatible with the FlashROM99.

Enjoy :-)

New features in version 0.2.0

• Version number added
  • Cursor keys SDEX to move, E (equipment) moved to Q
  • Saving inventory, equipment, shop
  • Light wakes up monsters
  • Monsters move faster after you hit them
  • Scroll of recall
  • Villains in town
  • Wisdom bonus for trade
  • XB loader

Bugs fixed in version 0.2.0

• Fixed stairs - you start at the stairs you entered by, but there are 3 up stairs when going up, and 3 down stairs when going down
  • Monsters should no longer move into walls
  • Fixed bug causing all items to be dropped

New features in version 0.3.0

• Music - 2 tunes: one in town, another in dungeon
  • Ctrl+R restarts game

New features in version 0.3.1

• Some changes to town music
New features in version 0.4.0
  • Pickaxe of mining must be used for tunnelling
  • 4 New monsters
  • Fountains in town heal
  • Fixed bug in shop/inventory scrolling
  • Screen cleared before entering dungeon

DOA.dsk

doa8.bin

• Like 15

There are actually about 40 new SAMS cards in circulation that were built in the last year or so, Bill (mostly by me)--and I'm getting ready to order another run of the boards as the first run sold out. I also know that MDUDE (on eBay) has a significant stash of older bare boards as well. He sent me one to validate this week. It is a really nice SW99ers variant of the board, fabricated around 2005 as part of a group buy done by some folks on the Yahoo! online user's group. He has an assembled one up for sale on eBay as well. It is actually cheaper to buy a SAMS card at the moment than it is to but a regular PEB 32K card. . .and it has a whole lot more capability. It is nice to see more software that exploits it. :)

• Like 2

first glance, so fast..

uniform ground makes it tough to judge movement

tunneling is interesting does it get you anything other than the periodic gold visable?

how do chests work?

Tunneling is currently just to pick up the gold. In the finished game you will need a pickaxe to do that (according to my children).

Chests are just more gold for now. Press G to pick up.

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive comments. My 5 year old's played it for an hour, reached level 7, found a few bugs, and suggested a few things. So here's another version.

Hi Rasmus,

Game looks awesome. I just downloaded this, but I cannot move UP on the joystick. I tried the original TI sticks and some Atarti and third party sticks with a converter. I also tried both versions of the game uploaded here, both of the .bin flashrom 99 versions. I still cannot move UP. Any ideas what would cause this?

Hi Rasmus,

Game looks awesome. I just downloaded this, but I cannot move UP on the joystick. I tried the original TI sticks and some Atarti and third party sticks with a converter. I also tried both versions of the game uploaded here, both of the .bin flashrom 99 versions. I still cannot move UP. Any ideas what would cause this?

Wow, I am dumb. I had to alpha lock on! ....sorry, now on with the gaming!

• Like 3

Only level 12. -disclaimer- this stuff might be intentional or already known

I like the game speed! Don't slow it down:)

Very few enemies "follow" me, not sure if this is based on my level or what, have only been down to depth 5. Example some Ghost will follow me, some wont.

Using D to drop items I dropped my entire full inventory in 2 button pushes. Not sure what happened ?

Saving, only saves char not gold, items etc.

LOVE that when you find the stairs you can just keep going up, otherwise I'd never be able to save. Maybe add different colored map pixel for stairs?

I think somehow I got disarmed or lost weapon? I was going up a bunch of stairs and then couldn't win a fight and finally found my weapon in my inventory.

The mystery is killing me! Not literally but I cannot figure out what to do at that icon :)

That's all I have for now. Hopefully some of that is helpful! None is critical, the demo is amazing and thank you for making this it is so awesome!!!!

• Like 1

Only level 12. -disclaimer- this stuff might be intentional or already known

I like the game speed! Don't slow it down:)

Very few enemies "follow" me, not sure if this is based on my level or what, have only been down to depth 5. Example some Ghost will follow me, some wont.

Using D to drop items I dropped my entire full inventory in 2 button pushes. Not sure what happened ?

Saving, only saves char not gold, items etc.

LOVE that when you find the stairs you can just keep going up, otherwise I'd never be able to save. Maybe add different colored map pixel for stairs?

I think somehow I got disarmed or lost weapon? I was going up a bunch of stairs and then couldn't win a fight and finally found my weapon in my inventory.

The mystery is killing me! Not literally but I cannot figure out what to do at that icon :)

That's all I have for now. Hopefully some of that is helpful! None is critical, the demo is amazing and thank you for making this it is so awesome!!!!

Thank you, this is very helpful. The Mystery remains a mystery for now. ;)

Sorry but that's a bug I'm going to fix. But, I will provide more up stairs when going up and more down stairs when going down. In addition I'm going to provide the legendary "scroll of recall" that will teleport you between the town and the lowest level you have visited and vice verse.

• Like 4

Sorry but that's a bug I'm going to fix. But, I will provide more up stairs when going up and more down stairs when going down. In addition I'm going to provide the legendary "scroll of recall" that will teleport you between the town and the lowest level you have visited and vice verse.

Wow, scroll of recall. You are bringing me back to my MUD days when I used to dial up the local BBS and go dungeon crawling! Awesome man - I can't wait!!

• Like 2

I have added a new version to the first post:

New features in version 0.2.0

• Version number added
  • Cursor keys SDEX to move, E (equipment) moved to Q
  • Saving inventory, equipment, shop
  • Light wakes up monsters
  • Monsters move faster after you hit them
  • Scroll of recall
  • Villains in town
  • Wisdom bonus for trade
  • XB loader

Bugs fixed in version 0.2.0

• Fixed stairs - you start at the stairs you entered by, but there are 3 up stairs when going up, and 3 down stairs when going down
  • Monsters should no longer move into walls
  • Fixed bug causing all items to be dropped

I think the game is currently a bit too easy, you get a high AC too soon and monsters can hardly hit you, but please let me know what you think.

• Like 5