IGNORED

FlappyBird test

tonma

No problem. I am at the start of the learning curve when it comes to Lynx cart production. If any of you get problems with the carts now or later drop me a line. Without feedback things don't get better.

Still waiting on mine but I'll let you know, and probably do an unboxing video with gameplay...

Ladies and gentlemen. I have just posted 2000 times on AtariAge. Am I an Lynx addict or what?

Perhaps I need to get a life.

Just kidding. With all the great games for the Lynx I can have as many lives as I want :)

My hot end seems to be working now. So I will do a second run to make enough Flappy Bird Test carts to last a lifetime. According to my math: One for TurboLynx, one for Guitari and a replacement for the broken one to ls650. So 3 carts is all I need.

• Like 3

Nope. It should not affect the cart. I tested them with both Lynx I and Lynx II.

My guess is that the automatic soldering did not take the vibration at the post office. I did a new set by hand soldering. So we should try that one.

This may be part of my learning curve in RoHS soldering.

Tonight i sneaked out with my son to see Rogue One. Flappy fixes are delayed till tomorrow.

bdoi, could you please tell your order number so I get the right address for the replacement.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

This may be part of my learning curve in RoHS soldering.

I am stocked up on several pounds worth of the 60/40 stuff in case they ever decide to ban it in the US.

Then I'll just be an outlaw I guess... :pirate: I've heard it is nearly impossible to source the good old stuff in Europe, but still legal for failsafe usage like medical / military / aerospace applications. Just not in consumer electronics products. I think it's also still legal for repair work on vintage electronics (and hobbyist applications provided you don't intend to sell them) but don't quote me on that.

For hand soldering at least, RoHS compliant is crap. Half my joints were cold when I used it last. I can't get it to flow to save my life. The slightest bit of flexural stress on wires, boards, or component leads and it breaks off. See also thermal stresses caused 90% of launch Xbox360s to RROD.

Vibration at the post office? IMO the carts should be indestructable. I would expect babies should survive a 4 foot drop on a tile or cement floor with no damage, just like the old ones...

• Like 1

Yeah. I am just playing Flappy Bird on the new carts. Just got score 18 on ls650's new cart.

Perhaps the plastics is too thin after all. I had it 10% thicker to start with and there was a huge difference in rigidity.

I might also change infill from the current 20% to 100%. The cart becomes heavier but should still fit into 20g with the envelope, stamps and address label.

Someone complained that it does not fit in Lynx I anymore. It did fit in my Lynx I.

For this design I will not run through any massive re-designs. But the next cart will be thicker, the ugly LYNX text will be gone. And I will crank the heat all the way up to 255 degrees for 30 seconds while soldering the chips. Use a lot of flux too.

Well, this is what prototypes are for ;)

And "hand soldering" means fixing. According to EU laws the alloy used for fixing is not strictly regulated... :twisted:

I decided to test the carts for a while before shipping them. Last time I used 30 seconds/cart for testing. Perhaps playing up to score 20 is enough of testing per cart for this round?

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Fits fine in my Lynx I and works great too....

I am so happy that I still have enough "real" solder to last for the rest of my life ;)

I actually love the Lynx letters on it !

Shall I put my copy on e-bay, just to see what happens ? :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

No way I'm going to sell a gift !!!

Edited by Level42
  • Like 1

don't work with my lynx 1 either :(

May I ha ve to cut a little bit the end of cartridge? it seem to be a bit sharp and if you compare your cartridge to an original one the contact are a bit lower.

what do you think?

I actually got the same Insert Game message on my Lynx. Taking away 2mm from the top cured the problem.

Obviously I am printing too much plastic.

• Like 1

Sorry - do you mean the "chiseled end' that goes into the Lynx port? Just shave or file the plastic edge shortly?

I could try that tonight with my 'faulty' cart and see how it goes...

You could try placing the card edge down on some medium grit sandpaper on a flat surface and go to town on it. Then follow with some fine grit, then maybe polish with a polishing wheel on a dremel (the white cotton looking wheels). Be very careful when using the polishing wheel on plastics though not to melt the surface. Low speed is better.

I would just use a sharp knife and go gently on the chiseled end. The nice thing with ABS is that it is extremely easy to modify by mechanical tools. But it easily melts if it gets hot or gets close to acetone.

In any case if any of you have problems with your carts send them to me and I will have a look at them. This is mainly for me so that I can learn what goes wrong. If it is fixable I will fix it and send it back. PM me for my mail address.

• Like 1

Btw. Is that flappy label earlier in the thread the correct size for printing? The image itself looked really blurry when zoomed in, but the Lynx logo and 'testing' text is really sharp. I was going to order some glossy photo paper and do some label printing tests. Ofc I can calculate the correct size myself, but it would be easier to just grab that one as a template if the size is correct. Or can it depend on the printer? I guess it shouldn't but you never know.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

I actually bought a pack of A4 size glossy labels. They work well with a colour copier. Just set the original on the plate, choose "transparent beamer print" and remember to choose full colour. Here is my layout for a set of labels.

Edit: and then you need scissors to cut out these 16 labels from the sheet.

FlappyLabels.zip

Edited by karri

Next part of the investigation.

By putting the cart in and out on a Lynx I found out that this cart works always if it is slide in close to the A/B buttons in the cart socket. If the cart is slide in close to the joypad the cart did not always work.

post-2099-0-68208000-1484933540_thumb.jpg

The cart is not exactly centered in the cart. Mathematically it is centered but due to some errors it is slightly centered to the right. Inserting the cart a little closer to the fire buttons corrects the centering error. We are talking very small distances here.