Double Dragon by Papa

Papa

I like MARIA...

DD1.bmp

DD2.bmp

DD3.bmp

DD4.bmp

DD5.bmp

ROM GRAPHICS DEMO (2 player button 1 changes backgrounds. Hold 2 player button 1 and directions to scroll. Player 1 and 2 are layered and move.)

DD.a78

TITLE DEMO

RainbowDragon.a78

CUTE STUFF

CAPVSSNK.a78

HunterS.bas.a78

...still working on Street Fight World, Zonic, MOTU, Street Fight World 32k, a VWBasic RPG, etc...

• Like 5

Here are captures of the HunterS, Capcom Vs SNK, and Double Dragon Title, picture demos:

post-18-0-36898000-1485016585_thumb.pngpost-18-0-28389800-1485016584_thumb.pngpost-18-0-15609000-1485016586_thumb.png

The Double Dragon (in-game) graphics demo unfortunate just blank screens for the most part with a quick glance of graphics when it first starts up under MAME.

To ensure it was not just a 'emulator thing', the ROM image provided had the header stripped and was uploaded to the MCPDev cart, then ran under real hardware. The results were extremely similar, mostly blank screen with some occasional corrupt graphic flashes.

The ROM images were then ran under the ProSystem emulator and it does indeed run fine there.

Unfortunately, the ProSystem emulator is not a good tool for accurately representing actual hardware timings and results. The Double Dragon graphics demo being a case in point. It is strongly recommended to test under MAME as the next best thing to real Atari 7800 hardware.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing the demos with the community, Papa!

• Like 1

All I have to test with right now is A7800. I'm pretty sure I know what's causing it, though, and I'll get it worked out once I get a dev cart.

Would the 16 game switchable flashcart work for testing on a real 7800?

I don't suppose the Maria has a reflect bit?

Thanks for the input!!

Sorry it didn't work on real hardware.

This isn't a slam against your work but could upload your images in as gif or png. Web browsers don't seem like bmp and it can be a bit of hassle for other posters to view them.

That said, I like the size of the characters. Billy and Jimmy look nice. The colors for the other things needs some work.

This isn't a slam against your work but could upload your images in as gif or png. Web browsers don't seem like bmp and it can be a bit of hassle for other posters to view them.

Here's the images converted from BMP --> PNG:

post-18-0-64869200-1485024421_thumb.pngpost-18-0-15979700-1485024422_thumb.png

post-18-0-67471100-1485024422_thumb.pngpost-18-0-18610100-1485024423_thumb.pngpost-18-0-67411700-1485024423_thumb.png

The above interpretation reminds me of the port for DOS, sort of a hybrid-pseudo CGA/EGA mode.

Sorry it didn't work on real hardware.

No apology needed...I just don't want you to spin your wheels working in one direction/way, thinking it will work on an actual console. Other emulators lack the hardware accuracy of MAME, unfortunately.

More than happy to test anything, and always glad to help. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I was wondering why the pictures didn't have little previews. I guess I've never uploaded a .BMP file here. As for the graphics, sure, the badguys aren't as good as the good guys, but that's because they have one palette entry rather than two (actually three total with one shared for the heros.). They look WAAAAY better than the 7800 originals, and that's what I'm doing here. I'm using less space for the backgrounds to allow for nicer character graphics.

This is all just a graphics mock up using the ProSystem emulator and 7800BASIC. Full screen with this emulator can cause the programmed colors to appear wrong on some systems. For instance, I can do full screen emulation with this demo on my 667 PIII. Although on my higher end system that I use for programming, the full screen mode is wrong.

Once I buy a multicart for the 7800 or build my own dev-kit (whatever is quicker) then, of course, this will be more real.

I'm having fun with 7800BASIC.

THESE DEMOS ARE FOR THE PRO SYSTEM EMULATOR until I get a DEV-CART!!

Full screen with this emulator can cause the programmed colors to appear wrong on some systems. For instance, I can do full screen emulation with this demo on my 667 PIII. Although on my higher end system that I use for programming, the full screen mode is wrong.

Full screen for the ProSystem emulator, from what I recall, relies by default on 8-bit graphics mode support. That was long since eliminated on systems from about the last decade (I think Vista removed it, definitely by Windows 7); however, the 8-bit graphics mode support is present on much older systems (Such as a PIII), running 95/98[sE]/ME/XP.

I believe the ProSystem.ini file can be hacked to force 16-bit or 32-bit modes, but it either reverts the change when exiting the emulator after the first run, or some other problem occurs.

THESE DEMOS ARE FOR THE PRO SYSTEM EMULATOR until I get a DEV-CART!!

The other demos work perfectly fine. It's only the DD graphic mode demo with the issue.

• Like 1

I'll be making a MESS here pretty soon, so I should be able to put up a cleaner DD.

I totally LOVE the girls in this game. That I can just switch around palettes to make three distinctly different gals is AWESOME! I can have a pale redhead, a dark girl with black hair, or the standard blonde with blue suit with just a simple switch of the colors.

I feel now that the 7800 has some of the most 'ready-to-unlock' potential of all of these programmable consoles.

I've made a LOT of little one-screen demos. Most of them are low color anime girl art as it's really fun to reduce and it keeps my attention long enough to actually learn something (maybe I learned to count to twenty with a pack of cigarettes...) ...

...what were we talking about!?..

...anyway..

Thanks, Trebor!

SHEEW! I woke up and started setting up the MESS and finally got where you were yesterday (Trebor, with the screen freaking). It was so dumb of a reason for realz. A 14 instead of a 12 somewherez. Then I notice that my colors are way different than on the ProSystem emulator (love the emulator tho). Everything is much darker and softer so I'll put more up with slightly tweaked, brighter colors.

Thanks a lot for making me finally set MESS up for 7800 emulation. I always avoided it for some reason (..hash chopping, your own headers, all the set up...meh.). Now all the DOS windows open and just right-arrowing all of my commands back up makes me remember nineteen years ago and telling my wife things like "..I never want a high speed cable in the house.", and " I hate high def!", and even back to "Windows is a back door hack job and I'm just doing everything in DOS!".

It works now.

Give me a tiny bit of time to tweak stuff and colors..

Show us the anime girl

*girls

too many to put here (I prefer the Tomas Edison method of figuring stuff out so I have roughly 999 not-anime-girls). LOTS of anime girls. Too many. I can put some up here from the 'tame' folder, although they may be too cute to see (we may need to burn a unicorn).

The .BIN will land very shortly. I'm having too much fun with Billy and his shickadance. With something like this you get to chop up things and recycle sprites and it's fun. I've got a nice four frame walking sequence and am sorting out final details.

It happened..is happening...

Here are some cute things in the meantime..

(these were hastily tested on the Pro System emulator!)

Where my boss works..

Styverson.bin

My girlfriend..

Allura.bin

My other girlfriend (don't tell the first girlfriend)..

AsukaSky.a78

Here's us on vacation just outside of Santa Monica..

AsukaSurf.a78

Here's me..

Batman.bin

Here's my slave-girl answering the phone..

Buttons.bin

Here's my ride..

Enterprise.bin

...thanks.

Edited by Papa
  • Like 2

Here's the walking demo. I would have slapped it up here before but there were no restrictions (sprites flying all about) or mirroring (or walking, of course).

Now you can walk around. The restrictions are set for a standard cube that fits many of the backgrounds. Reaching the right side of the screen advances the level. I hope this works on a dev cart!

dd.bin

• Like 2

Here's a video of the walking demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npkNaYJm_JQ

The only definitive issue (presuming background graphics are still a WIP) is that Player 1's controls are mapped to Controller Port 2. This occurs with both real hardware and tested under MAME.

Scrolling/walking appears to work fine under real hardware. However, I'm testing with the MCP DevCart in which the hotspot is @$3000. The bank-switching for this 128K demo needs to be converted for it in order to test fully and properly.

As it stands now with the MCPDev cart, scrolling occurs to the end of level 1's beginning, but when changing screens for the next area of the mission - brick wall with car poster - the screen goes blank. Again, this is believed to be a compatibility/mapping issue utilizing the MCP DevCart respecting the aforementioned hotspot, not necessarily a problem with the demo (code).

In my humble opinion, there appears to be a tad too much swivel in the hips for the walk. It almost appears like the player is doing "The Twist" while moving. Not sure if this is avoidable, but perhaps can be modified to appear less drastic and more subtle in movement.

Regardless, great job...this is coming along very nicely. :)

• Like 2

Ah, yes. That lingering feeling of forgetting something. Here is one that (although untested) says 'set mcpdevcart on' in there for ya!

This also has two 'placeholder' levels added that are about to be created.

I will try to cut down on his boogie. He's very excited.

dd.bin

I have Hat Trick and love to build things. Should I make a Devkit (where the system is flashed) or just buy the stuff to flash chips and the 16 game switchable cart?

I have studied this up quite a bit beforehand and I don't know of any 8-bit ones that have the full swinging arms, although it's a consideration, surely. The first thing to go was the 'upwards' animation and then the swinging arms are usually replaced by a little spring in the step. I may compromise and add said 'spring' and then even out the hips to avoid any Chubby Checker lawsuits, or I may just be the only 8-bitter to have the subtle sway to meet with that diamond-popping, tight-walking, bad ass gate.

Thanks!

I'm still piecing together the last couple of backgrounds...

It turns out that Billy just needed to take a big Double Duecin'. Now I think we effectively removed the 'stimpy' from his strut!

Here's the MCP testable BIN..

ddmcp.bin

Here's the A78 file if too bright is okay or no MESS..

dd.a78

..and here's the BIN for MESS/MAME/PROSYSTEM emulation sans header..

dd.bin

Thanks Mr. SQL! I'm also working on a RPG with VWBasic that I hope to demo soon. With the bare nakedness of this project I really shouldn't mind just putting it out there.

• Like 1