IGNORED

HSC14 Round 1: Super Pacman

Super Pacman

A warm welcome everyone to Season 14 of the High Score Club :thumbsup:

Super Pacman battled "Gateway to Asphai" to win the first poll. The runner up game will go into the round 2 poll, the other games may appear again later on. I'll handle everything so simply play the game and post a score or two. It's more fun if you post when you play and not just at the end of the round. Screenshots optional.

We'll keep things simple for round 1 so no bonus game.

super_pac_man.gifsuper_pacman_3.png

Super Pacman It's nice to start the season with a game that everyone can enjoy, it's similar to regular Pac-Man but you can now collect keys to open doors and use the super pills to embiggen pac-man and bust through the doors. Look out for the bonus match up thing in the middle. Play on the default skill level.

Bonus Point Challenges (to be played as part of normal goes):

#Highest score on stage 1 in 1 man (excludes Dope, trbb, McKong, SHiNjide, Deteacher, Orpheuswaking, RedThunder, CaptainClassic and maybe others!)

#Highest score for first 2 stages in 1 man (everyone)

#Highest score on 1st man (everyone)

#2 Player Mode - if you get someone else to play.

#Set new HSC record [AB Positive's 171,200 from Season 2!]

If you need any help just post or send me a message.

Scoring this season will be similar to before with 12pts for 1st place, down to 2pts for 11th and 12 places. Extra players add scoring positions from 4th 9pts down to 12th - don't worry it will all make sense :-o

I'll post tables periodically through the two weeks. Please don't be put off playing by the top players battling it out, otherwise it's a slippery slope where we only end up with a few players. As you can see above there are changes to the bonus point challenges this season ;)

Links/Downloads: Ensure the version you play has the title screen text!

Fandal

Atarionline.pl

Atarimania

Atari 8-bit forever

Antic Podcast Interview with Landon Dyer

Atariprotos Info

UPDATE: Atariage - Key Bug fixed version ROM version also doesn't have bug where some doors don't open.

Round finishes Sunday 5th February 10pm UK time (USA 5pm ET)

If you are reading this in the future (using a time machine perhaps) then join in on the current round, there will be a couple of chances to catch-up later in the season.

#1 Rule: Have fun :)

Edited by therealbountybob
Bug fixed version - link added
  • Like 4

16200 pts

24450 pts

28350 pts

post-5454-0-79736600-1485028247_thumb.jpg

Am I using a buggy version, or does it sometimes happen that if you munched a lot of gates and keys while you're big, you might end up with fruit or power pills behind doors for which there are no more keys to open them? It happened thrice, all times I practically gave up two Pac-Men because I could not finish the level. One fruit was behind an unopenable door.

Also perhaps it is common knowledge but I found that if I go big and then periodically eat power pills, I maintain my enlarged form. *cough* Not sure if I gain any points on playing it that way though. Oh yes, that can more than double the score...

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 3

I found that happens to me, too. My strategy is to eat all the keys first. Try to save the super pills and power pills for last. Notice any fruits behind unopenable doors and use the super pills for that.

As for using the power pills to stay super longer, yes, that's supposed to happen. On the early levels, saving the power and super pills for last, then going on a ghost hunt at the end of the level really boosts your score. Also, you don't have to wait for the eyes to return to the house before eating another power pill...the eyes will turn into blue ghosts so you can gobble them up again.

Of course, the best play is trapping all 4 ghosts in the house, then getting them with a power pill because you can enter the ghosts' house.

New scores for me:

High score: 83,450!

post-9712-0-03060500-1485029313_thumb.png

Best 2-screen score in 1 man: 24,230!

post-9712-0-88165800-1485029322_thumb.png

• Like 4

Super Pacman seems like a pretty fun game. I have fairly limited experience with it. A few weeks back, I was watching Starcade (the early-80s TV show that features people playing arcade games). Super Pacman was one of the games that was played. I have never really given this game much of a chance before, so it was pretty fun to play a few rounds of it tonight.

Super Pacman - 25,410 (Real NTSC Atari 130XE 8-Bit running the game from an AtariMax flashcart)

post-4925-0-24996900-1485057244_thumb.jpg

What's a good approach to play this game? I've been going around and collecting all the keys first and then clearing the fruit. Anyone have any tips?

AtariProtos has a good review of the 5200 version of this game (of which, I guess, this is a port?):

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/superpac/superpac.htm

It's nice to be back playing in the HSC-- though I have to admit, it's not like I haven't been playing Atari games... I just lost track of the HSC after I failed to be able to play in a few rounds in a row. Again, thanks to TRBB for sending me a personal message inviting me back here.

Adam

• Like 2

Super Pacman seems like a pretty fun game. I have fairly limited experience with it. A few weeks back, I was watching Starcade (the early-80s TV show that features people playing arcade games). Super Pacman was one of the games that was played. I have never really given this game much of a chance before, so it was pretty fun to play a few rounds of it tonight.

Super Pacman - 25,410 (Real NTSC Atari 130XE 8-Bit running the game from an AtariMax flashcart)

attachicon.gifSuper Pacman (Atari 8-Bit)(NTSC)(25410)(Cropped).jpg

What's a good approach to play this game? I've been going around and collecting all the keys first and then clearing the fruit. Anyone have any tips?

AtariProtos has a good review of the 5200 version of this game (of which, I guess, this is a port?):

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/superpac/superpac.htm

It's nice to be back playing in the HSC-- though I have to admit, it's not like I haven't been playing Atari games... I just lost track of the HSC after I failed to be able to play in a few rounds in a row. Again, thanks to TRBB for sending me a personal message inviting me back here.

Adam

Look back at my post #11. :)

I've not played yet but had a thought that the fire button made Super Pacman go faster... probably made that up :-o

Yes, you're right: the fire button does indeed make Super Pacman move faster. Are there some versions of this game where this isn't the case?

Thanks for pointing out the interview with Landon Dyer. I'll try listening to that in a few days.

Adam

• Like 2