IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Week 1 = Missile Command

S.BAZ

Of note: I tried my trackball with Millipede and it didn't work either.

Can anyone suggest a game that is 100% compatible with the CX-22 Trak- Ball controller?

I don't believe anything back in the day was written to use the trackball controller in anything other than Joystick Mode.

A number of games have been hacked to support the trackball, use them with a Harmony or wait a bit and they'll be available in the AtariAge store's 2600 Hacks section.

There's still 4 1/2 days to get better. :D

That there is! I think I can improve my score on Game 4 for sure once I get over this miserable cold I've had for the last week, but I don't know about Game 16. I think I just got kinda lucky with that one. :lol: I've never been terribly good at Missile Command but it's still an absolute classic and a ton of fun to play, though the biggest challenge has been finding the right controller to play it with. First I tried an Atari CX-80 trackball set in joystick mode, which worked but was a little slow and imprecise, then I tried a Best Electronics upgraded CX-40 joystick and found the control to be too loose for my liking. After that I tried my wife's Sega Genesis Arcade Power Stick and did pretty well with it, but not quite as well as I would have liked so I kept looking for a better controller. Lastly, I tried an Atari CX-78 joypad and a regular old Sega Genesis 3 button controller. Out the whole lot of 5 different controllers I tried I ended up liking the standard Sega Genesis controller the best, which is a little weird since it's a controller I almost never use, but I felt like it worked really well for this game. I'll keep at it with the Genesis controller though over the next few days and see if I can improve my score a bit. :)

• Like 1

I only have CX-40 joysticks. They seem to do fairly well.

Are the upgraded CX-40's actually better than the originals?

The joystick movement (in my opinion) is way better than the original CX-40 with Best's gold PCB and silicone boot. The dome contacts on their gold PCB are much larger and raised up higher, resulting in better tactile feedback and a precise "click" feeling when you activate the contacts; much like a microswitched joystick. Sadly it's not perfect though, since even though the joystick's feel is much improved they made the dome contact for the button a bit too large and thick, so the button becomes very stiff feeling and takes a lot more force to activate on Best's upgraded PCB. I think it's a nice joystick for games that don't require constant button use, but for games like Missile Command that have you rapidly hammering the button it's sure to cause a hand cramp in short order.

• Like 2