IGNORED

Sword of Surtr [COMPLETE](formerly Sword of Iffrit)

ultima

Hey, I think this is neat, but I hate the music. It sounds like a PC speaker and it has this weird very quiet "thup" right before notes are played. Plus, it loops constantly. Maybe the music should only play sparsely? Maybe when you discover something particularly interesting?

I thought about doing more music. Just haven't had much time lately. I was hoping for "darker" classical music. Also need to overhaul the sound effects

• 3 weeks later...

Hey ultima, just wanted to say great work so far on this game. The only quirk I can see is that the enemies take your life down pretty quick. I hope that you continue to push forward and finish this game, because it is very promising. Anyway, best of luck and take care.

InsertCoin25

Thanks InsertCoin25 for the feedback. Story mode is nearing completion and the new A.I. from 'Teh Legend of Fritz' is in the build I'm working with (it is harder to be killed instantly..with the one exception being the whirlpool). It may be a while till the next release but its coming along.

• 1 month later...

I worked a bit more on enemy attacks that come late in the game and some little tweaks to game progression. Also cleaned up some of the unused code from teh legend of fritz.

I hope to get much further on the next update activate hidden switches, add boss battles, game variation, and finally correcting sound effects and music cues.

Edited by ultima

More work done this week including some boss battles and started the game selection. Just work in progress, has a few bugs here and there but pretty fun.
still fixing things like sound effects, enemy placement, game selection screen needs some work on the switch and add the secrets

Edited by ultima
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I've been playing this throughout your development and I really like where you've gone with it. I've also played the version before this recent one quite a bit on the Flashback Portable and it plays great.

Thanks for the update and map. I look forward to trying the latest version. :)

I need a little help with a part of the game and also have a little feedback (based on the previous version):

In the Haldor's Saga game mode, I have repeatedly gotten to the part where I have the gate unlocked and have collected various things up to that part of the game. I go to the red area, kill the boss character outside the cave, go inside and kill the dragon boss... but I've not received anything after killing the dragon. So, each time, I've exited the dragon's cave and am instantly killed because I land right where the outside boss is at. I've tried quickly moving out of the way, but that doesn't work. Perhaps you can change the coords that you land on when exiting the cave, and/or put a delay between the enemy attacks landing on you so it's not instant death and you have a chance to move out of the way. This part (enemies able to land numerous hits within fractions of a second) has essentially ruined the playability of several bB games in the past and I can't remember any programmer who was willing to solve the issue. I'm glad that you've stuck with this game, improving and adding features, so perhaps you won't mind improving this issue. I say all that, but still, the instant death issue is generally not a problem with this game. However, there are spots where this can happen and cheap deaths can end a game that a player has spent time on to get quite far. I ask that you please put in some way to prevent cheap deaths, such as temporary invincibility after being hit, or enemy hits only registering once every second, etc.

Thanks for playing I want to ask does the current version work on the atari portable? If the titlescreen gets removed would that fix it?

As for the area your talking about the easy way is to run straight at his feet when exiting the dragons room which is just a cheap work around till I fix that as im still working on the endings and enemy placement along with item dispertion all being worked on plus secret switches and more possible game variations.

Thanks for playing I want to ask does the current version work on the atari portable? If the titlescreen gets removed would that fix it?

As for the area your talking about the easy way is to run straight at his feet when exiting the dragons room which is just a cheap work around till I fix that as im still working on the endings and enemy placement along with item dispertion all being worked on plus secret switches and more possible game variations.

Yes, the game works great on the Atari Portable. I've completed the game (the most recent version) several times on it. The title screen kernel used does not show correctly on the portable for any game that uses it, but all we have to do is press the button to go to the game selection screen. I would not remove the title just for the portable, as it's a nice screen and doesn't affect gameplay in any way.

I've found that we do not have to go into the red area with the bosses at all in order to beat the game. I've collected everything needed to beat the game and only gone south to the red area just for the heck of it. I killed the big dude and the dragon and still gotten nothing from beating the dragon, so I exited and still died instantly. I'm glad to hear that you're still working on placements, endings, switches, etc. The bosses are pretty cool, so there should be a reason to fight them. So far, I'm not finding any reason to go down there to beat the game. It would be nice to get something from that area and/or the boss fight.

Anyway, awesome game. Keep up the great work.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...