IGNORED

Help me start from scratch...

Progress is slow but placeholder graphics have been swapped for majority of objects to ensure I can actually get them to function properly. Not a fan of the smaller graphics I had to use to get the cars to work (48x16 instead of 48x20) but it's whatever for now. I had a look at the tile mapper to see if that could be a possibility for larger area gameplay and large sprites for more graphic detail but have no idea how you guys break down an entire map like that into one rolling image without manually handslicinf each tile into place, which seems like ridiculous effort. Is there a program that does this? Then once I saw the Mapper or Mappy data file associated with it, knew it's not even something I could attempt since I don't know how to even get that.

I tried multiple ways on trying to implement the DIM silencer with no success but it wouldn't surprise me if I'm doing something wrong as usual, seeing as how I've managed to screw up just about every step of the way thus far.

I thought placing new objects would be easy but it didn't quite work out as expected, or at all. The bitch about the object list being setup the way it is is that if you're off by one thing anywhere, even if you want to nix about 8 of the excessive nyan cats, it doesn't build or compile due to errors. I'm really trying to figure this out myself without asking endless questions but keep finding myself hitting stupid roadblocks which quickly take hours of my time up.

Anyways, there's this which is far from an accomplishment as much as it is a frustration learning process as to why the hell the graphics import is so picky, touchy, difficult, flaky, and all the above:

post-985-0-20730300-1485399408_thumb.jpg

I think Omf was adding the ability to assign a variable for each object in the list, so they could be referenced easily. That way instead of Object(123) you would use Object(Player_frog)

As for the tile mapper, it takes data files from this great program:

http://www.tilemap.co.uk/mappy.php

so making maps is actually quite simple :)

• Like 1

I think Omf was adding the ability to assign a variable for each object in the list, so they could be referenced easily. That way instead of Object(123) you would use Object(Player_frog)

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. The object update sounds great, hopefully it'll be available sooner than later.

• Like 1

That file is 5.09KB too big :)

Maybe so, I just know it worked ;-)

Also, just in case others want to see an exmaple, here's how I did it in doger:

' ****************************************************
' * MAIN GAME LOOP                                   *

SNDZEROPLAY(1, strptr(SPIDEYMUSIC), (strptr(SPIDEYMUSIC_end)-strptr(SPIDEYMUSIC)+3) and 0xfffffffc, 46168/15389, Zero_Audio_8bit_muLaw|Zero_Audio_Looping)

DO

IF gamestart=0 THEN                                             ' The title screen will display at start and only allow the game to continue once the called
        CALL waitforplayertostart                                   '   subroutine has its conditions met (push the button!). As gamestart is set to 1 this never
    ENDIF                                                           '   happens again but could be made to after a game over for instance.
	SNDKILL(1)
    pad1=GETPAD(1)                                                  ' Read the jagpad state. All buttons are packed up into a bundle and stored here.

doge_x=RGETOBJ(doge,R_sprite_x)                                 ' Put the Doge's current x position in our x-tracker.
    doge_y=RGETOBJ(doge,R_sprite_y)                                 ' Put the Doge's current y position in our y-tracker.

CALL movedoge                                                   ' Handle Doge movement.

and then

SUB waitforplayertostart                                            ' The is the subroutine where we wait for the player to push the button.
    DO

ZEROPAD()													' Read the jagpad state.
		pad1=zero_left_pad
        IF pad1 BAND Input_Pad_A THEN                               ' If A was pressed, we can move the titles off screen and begin the game.
            RSETOBJ(title,R_sprite_y,-255<<16)
            gamestart=1                                             ' gamestart is set to 1, so the IF.. statement in the main game loop will not be true
 SNDZEROPLAY(1, strptr(SILENCE), (strptr(SILENCE_end)-strptr(SILENCE)+3) and 0xfffffffc, 46168/15389, Zero_Audio_8bit_muLaw)
 SNDZEROPLAY(1, strptr(INGAME1), (strptr(INGAME1_end)-strptr(INGAME1)+3) and 0xfffffffc, 46168/15389, Zero_Audio_8bit_muLaw|Zero_Audio_Looping)
		ENDIF                                                       '   and this sub will not be called again.

LOOP UNTIL gamestart=1
END SUB

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. The object update sounds great, hopefully it'll be available sooner than later.

this has always been there, alas it STILL looks like no one actually bothers to use my editor to make their life easier (apart from sporadic which has brought out a few issues which have now been fixed).

if it wasn't for me and him using it and making my own life easier with my game(s) I quite possibly wouldn't have bothered to make it as no one seems to be bothered with it

Edited by omf

I tried using the list editor but it never actually saved any of my changes. The save object function did not save to rapapint.s If i change some variable in the editor then save I should be able to open that file later with notepad++ and see the changes. So maybe I am not using it correctly idk. I like the editor amd it would be preferable for me but i think there is something wrong with the way I have it set up. I will give it another try. A .bas editor would be even cooler

I tried using the list editor but it never actually saved any of my changes. The save object function did not save to rapapint.s If i change some variable in the editor then save I should be able to open that file later with notepad++ and see the changes. So maybe I am not using it correctly idk. I like the editor amd it would be preferable for me but i think there is something wrong with the way I have it set up. I will give it another try. A .bas editor would be even cooler

if it has been set up properly by using the file options at the top of the object to export the list is easy (attached)

post-18126-0-14674600-1485523984_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

if it has been set up properly by using the file options at the top of the object to export the list is easy (attached)

In all fairness, I had no idea it even existed until Jeff pointed it out - I don't remember seeing it mentioned. Anyways, when I tried it ended up wrecking whatever I was working on and refused to build. That was only my 2nd day in... I tried it again the other day and it still didn't build but I learned quickly to make constant backups so I had that. I guess I was making the mistake of using the buttons on the bottom instead of through the menu system at the top?

I'll try it again soon and double check that I'm doing everything correctly as I can certainly see such a tool being a total time saver, when I've had to hand change like 15 objects.

In all fairness, I had no idea it even existed until Jeff pointed it out - I don't remember seeing it mentioned. Anyways, when I tried it ended up wrecking whatever I was working on and refused to build. That was only my 2nd day in... I tried it again the other day and it still didn't build but I learned quickly to make constant backups so I had that. I guess I was making the mistake of using the buttons on the bottom instead of through the menu system at the top?

I'll try it again soon and double check that I'm doing everything correctly as I can certainly see such a tool being a total time saver, when I've had to hand change like 15 objects.

see if this helps matters: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/233057-raptor-list-designer/?p=3681546

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9uT-B-FtpI&feature=youtu.be

OK so here is the deal, I managed to get a working 2 players. I have 2 different frogs and both are controllable on their respective jagpads. However simultaneous usage of both the jagpads does not seem to be working. I have tested this in VJ and on console as you can see in the video. Basically if player 1 is pressing buttons it cancels out whatever player 2 is trying to do at that moment and vice versa. This is a huge problem for something that is supposed to be a competitive mode.

I'm thinking there needs to be something in addition to the pad1=GETPAD(1) and pad2=GETPAD(2) functions, however I don't know what that something might be. I did look over the quick reference guide and was unable to find anything about simultaneous input. I have also looked at the ZEROPAD functions and it all looks pretty much the same, I don't really want to switch to that anyway because I want to use MOD files. No there has to be something I am overlooking regarding simultaneous input. I see expressway has this but I'm guessing that wasn't made with RB+.

Any ideas?

I am attaching the files.

see snow.bas

Frogz 64 W 2 Player.zip

• Like 1

Hi,

I haven't looked at the code (sorry, no time for that), but the least I could do was to test that rb+ can process both pads in parallel.And yep, no problems there whatsoever. So rb+ is correct, your code has an issue.

What issue? Beats me. Try looking around the code that reads the pad and does the processing the variables that contain the getpad() values. There must be something wrong there. Trace the logic a bit and I'm sure you'll find the cause.

Sorry but I can't be more specific here. Hope this helps though!

I'll be more specific.

Doger is a tutorial. It's there to help people get a leg up, a super-simple project that puts the basics of rb+ in the context of a simple working project. The idea is to read through all the tutorials and view Doger as a simple demonstration of the things you read about previously, then maybe use it to play around with things, chop it up, change things around, see how your alterations affect the game as it is played - a bit of a simple sandbox project to fanny around in.

What Doger isn't is a project to cut & paste without understanding any of it, swap the assets out of and claim it as your own game.

If you had worked through the tutorials and gained even a very basic understanding of what the simple routines in Doger actually do, your issue would stand out like a sore thumb and there would be no time wasted making youtube videos and making posts, you'd be on with making "your" game.

I find it quite sad and somewhat disheartening to see you here asking such questions, posting the project including .BAS file that demonstrates that I was correct in thinking that you'd done nothing much to the code other than managing to break collision detection and introduced other issues... and now you're back here wanting people to write the game for you.

Well that's just not in the spirit of things, is it?

You've now sold 8 copies of "your" game on eBay at $20 each. I have a solution.

Cancel that listing. Promise to not be a dick anymore and not sell other people's work as your own. Take that $160 and donate it to the ACLU. Post the receipt here.

A short while after you do all that, I'll post the fixes to "your" game and you'll be able to have 2 frogz running around the screen.

• Like 3

I'll be more specific.

Doger is a tutorial. It's there to help people get a leg up, a super-simple project that puts the basics of rb+ in the context of a simple working project. The idea is to read through all the tutorials and view Doger as a simple demonstration of the things you read about previously, then maybe use it to play around with things, chop it up, change things around, see how your alterations affect the game as it is played - a bit of a simple sandbox project to fanny around in.

What Doger isn't is a project to cut & paste without understanding any of it, swap the assets out of and claim it as your own game.

If you had worked through the tutorials and gained even a very basic understanding of what the simple routines in Doger actually do, your issue would stand out like a sore thumb and there would be no time wasted making youtube videos and making posts, you'd be on with making "your" game.

I find it quite sad and somewhat disheartening to see you here asking such questions, posting the project including .BAS file that demonstrates that I was correct in thinking that you'd done nothing much to the code other than managing to break collision detection and introduced other issues... and now you're back here wanting people to write the game for you.

Cancel that listing. Promise to not be a dick anymore and not sell other people's work as your own. Take that $160 and donate it to the ACLU. Post the receipt here.

A short while after you do all that, I'll post the fixes to "your" game and you'll be able to have 2 frogz running around the screen.

I'm not being a dick.

Honestly dude do you think I'm out on the beach right now eating caviar with supermodels from Frogz 64 DEMO sales?

If it's such a simple game, Why are you so offended by me using it as a starting point for something BETTER?

You are right it is a tutorial at heart. Which makes it BROKEN as a game. I intend to fix it. It was your collision that was off that I also intend to fix.

Guess what? The tutorials aren't very helpful AT ALL. They even say in the text they are not very technical. I would think that the people responsible for creating RB+ would be a bit more friendly to people wanting to use it for their projects? Let me be a little more specific... Dude do you want ME TO PAY YOU FOR THE BROKEN DOGER GAME BEFORE GOING ON?????

Since I have had to hear about your blood, sweat and tears over this thing I am trying to improve you say I added nothing... It took 7 hours to make that intro sequence and then several days to incorporate it into this game. I have gotten many compliments on the intro and am even helping another AA member make their own intro now.

I'm sorry to say this sh3-rg but I have learned a lot. You see RB+ doesn't have that magic swap assets button you seem to be under the false impression that it does.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions, isn't that how you learn? Did it say anywhere that we were NOT allowed to use the tutorials as a starting point for our own projects? I mean shit maybe I'm just stupid, maybe I need you to upload a RB+ rulebook.

It can start out like this

Rule #1 we will show you a little bit how to do stuff, but do NOT copy our method come up with your own!

Rule #2 we will insult you if you ask too many questions or plan to ever make any money

One more thing:

' * REMAINING GLOBAL VARIABLES USED IN DOGER GAME *

DIM p1delay% : p1delay=0 ' player 1 movement delay

DIM p2delay% : p2delay=0 ' player 2 movement delay

DIM framecounter% : framecounter=0

framecounter++ ' Add 1 to the frame counter. It ticks over as screen refreshes.

p1delay++

p2delay++

VSYNC

I wont make the mistake of "coming around here asking for help" anymore

Edited by Jeffrey_Bones
  • Like 1

I'll be more specific.

Wow you're being salty because JB has more skills than you? You said that Doger was a public demo so everybody could make a full-fledge game out of it, and don't modify my reply 'cause i know someone who did the same thing ;) it seems that Reboot is finally showing their true faces. Edited by KidGameR186496

I'll be more specific.

Oh and then explain to me why CJ's ST ports are exactly what you said, Copypasted?

I wont make the mistake of "coming around here asking people to write my games for me" anymore

FTFY.

Also, please feel free to continue to insult us, given that you wouldn't be making games on the Jaguar at all without RAPTOR, and would not have been able to sell the rB+ reskinned demo without ULS/JiFFI....

As for RAMRs comments. LMFAO.

• Like 3