IGNORED

HSC14 Round 3: Super Cobra

therealbountybob

2000 miles and 6950 at first attempt. Man, are these caves tight. I can't remember the first legs of Scramble to be that tight. Always missed Scramble on the Atari, so I have to play it on the 7800 now ;)

Air Strike I/II: very choppy scrolling, maybe character wise in Air Strike I, feels a bit better in II. Enemy animation not very smooth either and bombing requires coordinated trigger-UP movement resulting in jerky upward movement of own craft. Not a serious contender although it was reviewed to be an OK scramble clone according to Atarimania. 440pts on II.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

Well, that was a lot of fun! Just spent a good hour on it.

Twitch gaming at its finest in some of the later caverns! I managed to clear 7000 miles. Are we counting 500s if you make it to the colour-change break in each level? If so, I got to 7500!

That's not a bad idea - for the first run only (<10,000 miles) players can post the 500s too :thumbsup:

2000 miles and 6950 at first attempt. Man, are these caves tight. I can't remember the first legs of Scramble to be that tight. Always missed Scramble on the Atari, so I have to play it on the 7800 now ;)

Air Strike I/II: very choppy scrolling, maybe character wise in Air Strike I, feels a bit better in II. Enemy animation not very smooth either and bombing requires coordinated trigger-UP movement resulting in jerky upward movement of own craft. Not a serious contender although it was reviewed to be an OK scramble clone according to Atarimania. 440pts on II.

Wonder why we never had Scramble itself :ponder:

First Tables (players under 10,000 miles can post +500 miles if they make the 2nd part of the level where the colour changes)

Super Cobra (miles)

1st Dope 26,000 12pts
2nd Deteacher 15,000 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 14,000 10pts
4th Gury 9,000 9pts
5th McKong 8,000 8pts
6th ultrasteve 7,500 7pts
7th RedThunder 7,000 6pts
8th jfetzer 5,000 5pts
9th carlsson 3,000 4pts
10th slx 2,000 3pts
11th jblenkle 2,000 2pts

Bonus Scouting Missions 1pt each player

(see posts above for their comments on the games - based on these I've made an approximate score out of 10 to be used for the HSC Ratings & Records)

deteacher - "Earth 2500" Score 1,690 6/10

RedThunder "Airstrike" Score 20 4/10

carlsson - "Copter Cave" 6/10

slx - "Airstrike II" Score 440 6/10

:)

• Like 1

I played bellum for my bonus game very good game.I found that there is v1,v2,v3 one and two are the same but v3 is very different and not as good in my opinion.attachicon.gifDSC_0385.JPG

What are the differences? Very good game, one of the early efforts from the guy who created the impressive Electraglide :thumbsup:

Super Cobra 23000 Miles (80,550)

post-19705-0-19967100-1488114431_thumb.jpg

post-19705-0-12476600-1488114456_thumb.jpg

It's basically a different game entirely.

Ahh, I see on atarionline.pl the "h the Pirat" version has a different layout! I'll give it a play :thumbsup:

atr-dcm.gif Bellum (1983)(APX)(US).atr

atr-dcm.gif Bellum (1983)(APX)(US)[cr The Shadow].atr atr-dcm.gif Bellum (1983)(APX)(US).dcm atr-dcm.gif Bellum (1983)(APX)(US)[h The Pirat].atr

Reminder folks, the next HSC round will be Rally Speedway - details are here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261815-john-andersons-rally-speedway-thoughts-for-a-hsc-round-offering/

Then we'll return to normal :-o:D for the round 5 poll :)

I don't know how you guys are doing it, but after a lot of struggle and nearly 2.5 hours of playing, I managed to clear 4000 miles (and 11600 pts).

post-5454-0-48070200-1488126183_thumb.jpg

Usually I'm a guy who tries to reduce the use of curse words and filthy language to an absolute minimum, but the number of times I've yelled F**K and C**T while playing Super Cobra far exceeds my normal usage... :-/

• Like 2

I don't know how you guys are doing it, but after a lot of struggle and nearly 2.5 hours of playing, I managed to clear 4000 miles (and 11600 pts).

Usually I'm a guy who tries to reduce the use of curse words and filthy language to an absolute minimum, but the number of times I've yelled F**K and C**T while playing Super Cobra far exceeds my normal usage... :-/

fork and cart? After about 50 goes you improve! Concentrate on the gun things, patience, positioning, good control of the stick - try another type if too loose, stay under the chickens is working for me! And above all keep firing! The 4000-5000 points long down tunnel is the hard bit: get full right and fire a couple over the mountain top, you can usually hit the bottom gun. The stages are all short and the same so keep trying guys ;)

• Like 1

Red Thunder takes the lead! I've been playing a lot but not improved.

I also had a play on Bellum - lovely visuals and fairly good gameplay but much harder than I remembered (the gravity/controls) but saying that I think it does end so has to be tough. I think the v3 version may have stage 5 at the start [has a jet plane instead of bi-plane], will play it soon [looking at the DOS disk directory looks like v2 and v3 only have 4 stages so may be early versions].

Again the scoring is flawed in Bellum so play for level reached IF you do check it out - Select on the title screen shows various info. So far up to Stage 5 - read there are only 6 to do. The title screen says "Scenario 1" but I can't see that this can be changed? :)

OK I think I hacked my copy of Bellum for extra lives so I'll image it and post it here in a minute or two... [here]

Latest Tables (players under 10,000 miles can post +500 miles if you reach the 2nd part of the level where the colour changes)

Super Cobra (miles)

1st RedThunder 31,000 12pts
2nd Dope 26,000 11pts
3rd therealbountybob 23,000 10pts
4th McKong 18,000 9pts
5th Deteacher 15,000 8pts
6th Gury 9,000 7pts
7th ultrasteve 9,000 6pts
8th jfetzer 5,000 5pts
9th carlsson 4,000 4pts
10th Sikor 4,000 3pts
11th jblenkle 3,000 2pts
12th skr 2,000 2pts

Bonus Scouting Missions 1pt each player

(see posts above for their comments on the games - based on these I've made an approximate score out of 10 to be used for the HSC Ratings & Records)

deteacher - "Earth 2500" Score 1,690 6/10

RedThunder "Airstrike" Score 20 4/10

carlsson - "Copter Cave" 6/10

slx - "Airstrike II" Score 440 6/10

jfetzer - "Bellum"

trbb "Bellum"

:)

Edited by therealbountybob

Robix is cool, and completable. We played it a couple of years ago

Super Cobra: 31000

As for bonus, Robix: 759

Pros:

- Quite nice graphic

- Could be a challenge

Cons:

- Longer you play, more boring it is

- Respawns are REALLY annoying

• Like 1

Reminder this round closes in the morning: Sunday 10am UK time / 4pm EST

and remember you can post +500 miles if you reach the 2nd part of the stage (colour change) for less than 10,000 miles.

I've had a lot of goes but not improved, but I'm playing again now!

RedThunder if you want to post the next round in the morning I'll pin it, looking forward to some racing :)

• Like 1