IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

Jin: Billy Mitchell (in case his name is familiar) owns since the mid 80's the Rickey's World Famous Hot Sauce. :)

Ohh! Now I get it! :lol: I don't think I'll ever be able to play on Billy Mitchell's level no matter how many minor world records I accumulate, so you probably don't have to worry about me peddling condiments anytime soon. Besides, most of my records are just in obscure Atari 7800, Game Boy, and Game Boy Color games that not enough other people are interested in playing to give me any real competition for them. It's easy to get a world record high score when there's no one trying to beat your score. I am pretty proud of my score in Summer Carnival '92: RECCA for the Famicom though, which is widely considered to be the most difficult shoot 'em up ever made. That one I did have to really work for, but it's still not going to get me my own barbeque sauce line. :P

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 9, running from February 27 - March 5. We logged 6969 minutes of eligible play, playing 71 games on a total of 22 systems.

Top 10:

1. SimCity 2000 (Sega Saturn) - 1200

2. Final Fantasy VII (PlayStation) - 641

3. Lawnmower Man, The (SNES) - 600

4. Quake II (PlayStation) - 457

5. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 418

6. Romancia (Sharp X1) - 300

7. Cruis'n USA (N64) - 256

8. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 228

8. Kaboom (Atari 5200) - 228

10. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 217

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Asteroids (Atari 2600) - 418

2. Romancia (Sharp X1) - 300

3. Galaxian (Atari 2600) - 228

3. Kaboom (Atari 5200) - 228

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 217

6. Gyruss (Atari 2600) - 207

7. Tower of Druaga, The (Sharp X1) - 200

8. Pac-Man Collection (Atari 7800) - 153

9. Defender (Atari 2600) - 105

10. Super Mario Bros. Special (Sharp X1) - 100

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1404)

2. Sega Saturn (1200)

3. PlayStation (1156)

4. Sharp X1 (600)

4. SNES (600)

6. Atari 7800 (356)

7. Arcade (257)

8. N64 (256)

9. Dreamcast (240)

10. Atari 5200 (228)

In a week with high system diversity -- and total numbers to please both Beavis and Butt-head -- Final Fantasy VII falls to 2nd place while SimCity 2000 surges into the lead, getting an instant entrée to the 1000-minute club with 1260 minutes logged to date.

Joined by Defender for the Atari 2600 (1100 min.) and Kaboom for the Atari 5200 (1080 min.), this trio of games hops into positions #262-264 of the club.

Meanwhile VCS Kaboom is at the bottom of the Top 10 for a second week in a row, and yet the VCS is the top system of the week despite having no games in the top 4. Is this a hopeful sign for the Atari 2600, proving once and for all that there is life after 999,999?

• Like 6

NES:

Baseball Stars - 207 minutes

Went undefeated in season and started a new team. This likely will be the last new team I ever create. The new league consists of the new team, the American Dreams and 4 other superstar teams that I've built. Virtually everyone has a 15 for hitting, batting and running (except the new team)

• Like 6

And since it has been a while since I posted, I thought I would add a few big ticket items from the last few months.

TI-99/4A:

Parsec (90 minutes)

St. Nick (320 minutes)

Atari 2600:

GORF (120 minutes)

Classic Mac OS9:

Lemmings (320 minutes)

Sin City 2000 (220 minutes)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 6

Not much to add this week. Thought I was going to have more time because of my work schedule, but allergies and sinus issues hit me hard this week. I spent most of my down time sleeping or blowing my nose. But, here's my weak numbers for the week. Also, everything was emulated this week. Nothing on a real console. I'm going to try to fix that next week, too. :)

Dragster - 10 minutes (I spent more time on this later in the week, but didn't time it. This was from earlier in the week when I timed it.)

Enduro - 16 minutes (Same as with Dragster... I also played Skiing some, but didn't time it so I won't put those in...)

Genesis

The New Zealand Story - 10 minutes (This one is harder than it looked when watching Let's Compare videos and such... I got better and figured out some controls as I went... some memorization involved as far as where enemies spawn and such, but not a bad little game.)

NES

Gradius - 10 minutes (The classic... I hate those stupid volcanoes/rock spewing mountains.)

Playstation

Final Fantasy VII - 100 minutes (This is really showing how crappy I felt this week, lol. Only 100 minutes? I leveled some characters and materia more, got a new FIRE and RESTORE materia... haven't advanced the plot any, still in the Mideel area... Capn (Cloud) is still suffering from Mako poisoning and Tifa is still with him... maybe I'll get somewhere this coming week. We'll see.)

post-21069-0-14674000-1489286367_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Apple II:

Choplifter - 30 minutes

PC-98

Blood Seed - 200 minutes

Cosmic Psycho - 200 minutes

Ikazuchi no Senshi Raidi - 200 minutes

Kotetsu no Daibouken - 300 minutes

Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream - 30 minutes

Queen of Duelist Hyper Edition - 30 minutes

Reserve - 13 minutes

Reserve 1/2 - 10 minutes

Rusty - 200 minutes

Satyr - 300 minutes

Sela - 300 minutes

Silent Movers - 200 minutes

So yeah, a lot of random stuff. Pretty much this whole week I've had to stay at school until about 10PM due to musical being a thing and I was in the orchestra (It went well) so I took a laptop-based PC98 to mess with some disks that I got as every day from noon to 6PM I got to just sit around with the 98Note, so I played through a bunch of this stuff.

I'm just going to do a list with my thoughts on all these games as most of them I did run through and there was some interesting stuff

• Blood Seed - It's frustrating but a neat concept I guess? The plot revolves around a spaceship which gets a hull breach by some red pod which ends up sprouting tentacles and attacking the crew. You play as said "pod with tentacles" thing, going around hallways (which are in 3D, kinda cool, but really just textured square blocks) trying to find the crew while fighting little robots that are trying to take you out. The game has some cool animation to it (be it a bit letterboxed and lo-res) but the enemies are a pain in the ass as they have way too much health, the combat log is always like five turns behind, and the map barely functions when you want it to

• Cosmic Psycho - I have this one on X68000 and MSX so I figured I'd try this port for the hell of it. You play as this dude Kazuyuki who has a dream where a girl is calling him from space, and he wakes up to find that he's on a spaceship where the girl exists and she explains how they fight aliens that are just called "EX" but that she screwed up and got Kazuyuki on the ship instead of someone else so he's stuck with them. It's a standard adventure game which has a sidescrolling portion now and then in which you get to be in a mech suit and fight through a stage. Graphics are a bit lo-res all throughout the game but there's usually animation on everything so it's really cool to see, but stages are super short and I can't say I could get too into the adventure portions.

• Ikazuchi no Senshi Raidi - I think I tried this one out before as it's familiar, but maybe it's because there's a modern re-release (Lightning Warrior Raidy) which I heard a good bit about from a coworker. Pretty much the game is supposed to be a spoof on some of the AD&D adventure games for what I get, where you play as a warrior named Raidy who has to find out why women from her village are being taken and imprisoned in a tower nearby and rescue them. The game operates on floors which have random encounters alongside stuff you can interact with, then at the center or in a special room or something there's a boss. Combat is a bit limited/boring but eh, it's interesting enough.

• Kotetsu no Daibouken - Another adventure title, this time based on some anime series. You're some girl nicknamed Kotetsu who runs away from her master and goes to a detective agency in Tokyo. You have to just do whatever by using a menu to interact, with choices just changing maybe one or two little things in the game. Battles are just a guessing game and really silly and the plot wasn't anything great, but the art looked pretty alright so that's a plus I guess.

• Phantasmagoria of Dim Dream - It's a Touhou game. I don't much like Touhou games so this one just got turned off fairly quickly.

• Queen of Duelist Hyper Edition - There's really little to say about this one. It's a clunky fighter where damage just strips the opponents clothes off. The controls were a bit "eh" at best and the graphics weren't all too great as that's how the PC98 is with animated stuff most of the time.

• Reserve and Reserve 1/2 - I'm grouping these together as they're super short. Reserve is based around a girl who while going to a date with her boyfriend just happens to slip into another dimension where there are monsters who want to rape her, so you have to fight your way to the exit of the world to get back with your boyfriend for your date. Reserve 1/2 has you play as one of these monsters (a bat girl) and try to deliver three female humans to Satan so you can be turned into a real girl. Both games operate on a very very small map where there are set encounters which you get through by beating the enemies via attacking two of their four listed parts and reducing their health to 0 before you're beat. In Reserve you end up getting raped and set back to the beginning if you lose, in Reserve 1/2 you just get some little scene of another monster waking you up and you get reset to the beginning. Each game is beatable very very quickly and combat is silly at best although the graphics look neat enough (More in 1/2) so they weren't anything too crazy.

• Rusty - I think I've talked about this one way too many times, but here it is again - a Castlevania clone where you play as a girl (Rusty) who fights monsters and all that good stuff. Gameplay is tight, graphics look real nice for the PC98, controls are solid, and the game has a pretty good soundtrack to it - I enjoy this one every time I run it.

• Satyr - A simulation game revolving around you commanding a bunch of fairies who want to get a demon girl to submission. Gameplay is a bit slow and most of the work you can tell is put into the graphics - you just pick out a bunch of activities for the fairies to do, they do them, and then you get CGs of the fairies with nothing on. Again, graphics are done well but it's pretty much boring past that.

• Sela - Probably the most annoying game I played out of the lot. There's no plot at all past "You're a dude and you fight stuff", so pretty much the entire game revolves you fighting monsters to get money so you can have sex with girls using the money you earned. Combat is just simple choices on what to do, you have to hit enter for every single line of text making you think you'll break the stupid key except for the last line in which if you do push enter you select the top action - in the end you overspam the damn key and then you hit the thing you don't want to every single time. I got through the stupid game and I think this will be one I just put on the shelf and never pull off again until I forget how stupid it was.

• Silent Movers - Now this is a cool game. The game is a RTS where you fight a CPU on this giant board by building units and sending them off to attack the CPU. It sounds simple at first, but this game is in 3D and it actually looks great for the 98 - yes it's a bit blocky, but you don't see many titles like this on the system anyways. One thing I really enjoyed was the fact that you can actually control your units from a first person perspective, moving and shooting and all, which is a bit ahead of its time for the system its on. The game is pretty much fully in English for everything that matters so anyone can pick it up and play, and I ended up sitting down and playing a good few rounds as I really enjoyed this one.

Oh yeah, and the Apple II got played - I'm trying to get my Micromodem II to want to work again, so when I got frustrated of waiting for dial up I ended up playing Choplifter. As usual I have no joystick for my II+, so I use two paddles - Paddle 0 raises and lowers the chopper while also rotating it, and Paddle 1 does horizontal movement based on how far you rotate it from center to the left/right and shoots - it's probably the most clunky form of control but it's really fun for some reason.

So yeah, that's my week. I'll get back to the usual "play a couple games for a long time" thing and some Lawnmower Man for the next week maybe, but for now at least this was really fun to do.

• Like 5

Atari 2600:

Dragster - 10 minutes

Enduro - 90 minutes

Pac-Man - 55 minutes

Skiing - 10 minutes

Atari 5200:

Defender - 10 minutes

Evidence of the week:

Enduro for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6, Weeks 7-8 (Activision Sports Games Contest), played with ProSystem VCS Console.

post-24681-0-44857400-1489351894_thumb.jpg post-24681-0-65029600-1489351903_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

These are my times for this past week (March 6th through 12th)...

Atari 2600:

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom - 57 min.

Bobby geht heim (AKA Bobby is going home) - 12 min.

Commodore 64:

Toy Bizarre - 457 min. in 13 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Castles of Talesworth - 19 min.

TI-99:

Macroman - 22 min.

I continued my run on Toy Bizarre and finally made it through to Friday. I didn't manage to complete Friday, but I'm pretty confident that this is the last day to complete.

Then I replayed Macroman on the TI-99 which is also a Jump'n'Run game of some sort, but here your biggest enemy is actually the environment, as falling too deep is deadly, and so is hitting a cactus.

On the Atari 2600, I played "Bobby geht heim" (AKA Bobby is going home). Actually I would like to have played Red Sea Crossing, and I read somewhere that the ROM of it has been released by now, but I couldn't find it anywhere. Anyway, "Bobby geht heim" is a Jump'n'Run game in a similar vain.

But I also played "Buck Rogers". I didn't manage to roll the game, which happens over 999,999 points, but I did play a pretty long game, so I let it be.

Finally, Castes of Talesworth is heavily inspired by the arcade game Rampart, but notably different since you have multiple different, upgradeable weapons, and the game screen doesn't fit into the window entirely, so you have to scroll the attacking boats into view.

• Like 4

My times for the week:

NES:
Binary Land - 16 min.
Moai-Kun - 14 min.
Atari Lynx:
Blue Lightning - 5 min.
Double Dragon - 4 min.
Jimmy Connors Tennis - 6 min.
Klax - 1 min.
Kung Food - 8 min.
Philips CD-i:
Christmas Crisis - 5 min.
Tetris - 35 min.
PlayStation:
Tail of the Sun - 138 min.
Besides half-hearted tinkering with a couple NES games, my main gameplay this week was prompted by getting a Lynx flash cart and a SNES-to-CD-i controller adapter, both of which work well. I also spent a couple hours playing Tail of the Sun, an early open-world game that's sometimes a bit too inscrutable for its own good.
  • Like 6

A pretty standard week for my household this week, but with a lot of variety thanks to some local game pickups and the return of a custom controller that I'm darn glad to have back.

VhkxGV3.jpg

Ineligible

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (GameCube) - 165 minutes

Atari 2600

Berzerk - 28 minutes

Demon Attack - 6 minutes

Double Dragon - 19 minutes

Dragster - 57 minutes

Enduro - 95 minutes

Kangaroo - 4 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 25 minutes

Millipede - 28 minutes

Night Driver - 3 minutes

New Pac-Man (8k Version) - 24 minutes

Scramble - 5 minutes

Skiing - 138 minutes

Atari 7800 (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)

Double Dragon - 20 minutes

Kung-Fu Master - 21 minutes

Scramble - 7 minutes

Game Boy Color

Pac-Man: Special Color Edition - 14 minutes

NES (Emulated on Nintendo Wii)

Double Dragon - 11 minutes

PlayStation

Doom - 289 minutes

Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown - 20 minutes

Hexen - 92 minutes

Sega Genesis

NBA Jam: Tournament Edition (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 140 minutes

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - 210 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,421 minutes (23 hours 41 minutes) [1,256 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Atari 2600: 432 minutes

PlayStation: 401 minutes

Sega Genesis: 350 minutes

GameCube: 165 minutes

Atari 7800: 48 minutes

Game Boy Color: 14 minutes

NES: 11 minutes

With three more games for the Atari 2600 High Score Club to play this week and a custom Edladdin controller that once again found it's way into my hands I ended up playing quite a bit of Atari 2600 games this week, to the point that for what may the first time this year in my household the Atari 2600 logged more gaming time than the PlayStation. I'll admit that I wasn't too fond of any of the three games for this round of the HSC (Dragster, Enduro, and Skiing) but I still spent a good bit of time on them until I had gotten what I felt were reasonably good scores in each. After that it was on to breaking in the Edladdin stick with a variety of games, and my wife joined in as well and topped her all time high score in New Pac-Man in the process; with a whopping 52,490 points! Considering her previous high score was in the upper 30k range it really goes to show how much difference using an arcade quality controller can make.

Atari 2600 games aside the rest of my gaming time this week was taken up by two games that I stumbled upon at a local game store on Friday. One was Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis and the other was The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for the GameCube, the latter of which I had read was quite good but had never played before. For Sonic 2 the misses and I plunked down in front of the retro gaming center together Friday night and spent a few hours doing a full play through of the game until we had beaten it, trading off the controller after each zone. It seems like we do a play through of Sonic 2 together at least once every year and this time was just as fun as ever, though as with our past attempts we were never able to get all the chaos emeralds. We did get 4 of them this time, but man does the difficulty of those special stages ever ramp up for the last couple of them!

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers ended up being quite a bit of fun as well. Even though I'm not usually a big fan of pure hack and slash games with nothing else to them I have to admit that I do have a soft spot for this one, just because it's set in the Tolkien universe and features tons of clips from the first and second LotR movies to carry the story from battle scene to battle scene. The game formula is pretty much "Fight a bunch of creatures, watch a movie clip. Fight a bunch of creatures, watch a movie clip. Fight a bunch of creatures, watch a movie clip. Etc, etc, etc." I know that probably sounds rather dull but there is a good amount of variety to the missions quite a bit of puzzle solving required for figuring out how to go about assailing the plethora of bosses without getting yourself killed. At this point I'm about 3/4 of the way through the game and having a really good time with it.

For my wife's gaming time this week it was almost entirely taken up by Doom on the PlayStation, aside from our co-op play through of Sonic 2 and a few rounds of New Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 that is. After spending much of last week pondering over what first-person shooter she could play next that would be similar to Doom but not Doom, and then trying out Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown and Hexen to see how they fared, she eventually decided that there was simply no substitute for Doom and set about playing Doom instead. :lol: Satisfied with her decision she ended up playing a ton of Doom this week and is just starting of the 4th and final chapter of Ultimate Doom right now, and all indications point to her continuing the game and playing through Doom II on the other half of the disc after she finishes Ultimate Doom.

That about wraps everything up for this week I think! For my gaming time next week I think I'll be finishing up The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers on the GameCube, and possibly getting in some more Game Boy / Color time if I can find a handheld game that I feel like playing, whereas the misses looks to be filling her week with lots of Doom but little gloom. Until next time, take care and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

• Like 5