IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

Jin's entries here always make me wish wife were a gamer. :)

She is pretty amazing in her own right, but not a gamer. :)

I won't deny it does make gaming a lot more fun when you have someone special to share it with. Any girl who likes Doom and can kick your ass in Street Fighter is a definite keeper! :lol: It probably also helps that we're both on permanent disability so we've always got a ton of free time to fill, and video games are a pretty darn good way to pass the time. But yeah, she's a real unicorn for sure. :)

• Like 2

Nice..

My wife briefly played Morrowind with me... She has occasionally (2-3 times in our 9 years of marriage) come downstairs and picked up the sticks for some Henhouse (TI-99) or some Asteroids... She likes Candy Crush on the tablet though.

I can't get her into dungeon crawlers or RPGs though... as much as I've tried. :)

• Like 3

My ex and I played Everquest and WoW together, but she never cared much for consoles.

My current girlfriend will play Sonic on occasion, but other than that, doesn't care for the hobby. She went to Retropalooza with me and that was she said really opened her eyes to how huge the retrogaming scene really is.

• Like 2

This past week I've spent more time than I want to admit playing a new top secret TI-99/4A game.

I will tell you this much....IT'S GOOD!

post-46538-0-66992700-1489440010_thumb.jpg

Tossing bricks into the rumor mill are we Omega? Or shall I call you Evil Omega?

Edited by Airshack
  • Like 3

Unfortunately, I made a mistake when posting last week's times. The Atari 2600 session actually consisted of three different games instead of two. So my times for the Atari 2600 for last week should read:

Atari 2600:

Bobby geht heim (AKA Bobby is going home) - 12 min.

Buck Rogers: Planet of Zoom - 32 min.

Carnival - 25 min.

The times for the other systems are correct.

I replayed Carnival for the Atari 2600. There is a point in which round at which the targets speed up considerably, and from that point on the chance is low you will be still able to clear the wave, so you should take care of clearing it before that point. This works best if you first concentrate on the spinning wheel and try to hit all its flags as quickly as possible, even if that means you will miss some ducks at the bottom and they will eat some of your bullets. That way I've been able to roll the game (at 100,00 points).

• Like 4

Here's the summary for Week 10, running from March 6 - 12. We logged 8014 minutes of eligible play, playing 83 games on a total of 18 systems.

Top 10:

1. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 878

2. Toy Bizarre (C64) - 457

3. Lemmings (Mac OS Classic) - 320

4. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 320

5. Kotetsu no Daibouken (NEC PC-9801) - 300

6. Satyr (NEC PC-9801) - 300

7. Sela (NEC PC-9801) - 300

8. Bouncy (TI-99/4A) - 290

9. Doom (PlayStation) - 289

10. Sim City 2000 (Mac OS Classic) - 220

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Skiing (Atari 2600) - 878

2. Toy Bizarre (C64) - 457

3. St. Nick (TI-99/4A) - 320

4. Bouncy (TI-99/4A) - 290

5. Enduro (Atari 2600) - 201

6. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 163

7. Major Tom (TI-99/4A) - 140

8. Rally Speedway (Atari 8-bit) - 130

9. GORF (Atari 2600) - 120

10. Parsec (TI-99/4A) - 90

10. Wizard's Doom (TI-99/4A) - 90

Top 10 systems:

1. NEC PC-9801 (1983)

2. Atari 2600 (1779)

3. TI-99/4A (1347)

4. PlayStation (704)

5. Mac OS Classic (540)

6. C64 (457)

7. Genesis (360)

8. NES/Famicom (258)

9. Atari 8-bit (130)

9. N64 (130)

How appropriate, with a snowstorm hitting the northeastern US, that Skiing claims the top spot in a big week!

Meanwhile we get three more entries into the 1000-minute club, as Skiing schusses in to the #265 spot with 1405 minutes logged to date; Lemmings becomes member #266 -- and the third Mac OS game to join -- with its 1250 minutes; and Bouncy bounces into spot #267 with 1136 minutes.

• Like 7

A solid week. :) I very much enjoy posting here and seeing how the different systems line up. :)

It is always cool to see a freak game or system surge to the top from time to time.

I found it interesting this week how the top system didn't have a single game in the top 5. That says a lot.

Thanks again, thegoldenband. :)

• Like 4

So far:

TI-99/4A:

Alpiner (120 minutes)

Aperture (50 minutes)

Blasto (10 minutes)

Championship Baseball (130 minutes)

Henhouse (270 minutes)

Major Tom (55 minutes)

NeverLander (300 minutes)

Slymoids (40 minutes)

Strike There! (35 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (90 minutes)

Wizard's Doom (220 minutes)

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 4

Enduro is an excellent game... I am not great at it, but I still love it for what it is. :)

I've got mixed feelings on Enduro. On one hand it is a very graphically impressive game for the Atari 2600, and it controls as good as it looks. There's nothing negative I could say about it from a technical standpoint, it's a pretty flawlessly designed game, and yet every time I play Enduro it makes me want to break something. :lol:

I feel pretty much the same way about the other two games for this round of the Atari 2600 HSC. They're very well designed games that never fail to frustrate the bejesus out of me.

• Like 2

Bought a bunch of new games on Steam (Sold a CS:GO Knife skin for $60 to pay for 'em) so this is all the playtime on old games that I have

​Apple II:

​King's Quest - 400 minutes

​PC-98:

​Purple Cat: Volume 1 - 120 minutes

Purple Cat: Volume 2 - 120 minutes

Tokio Twilight Busters - 400 minutes

Wedding Bell ha Takakara ni - 400 minutes

​SNES:

​Lawnmower Man - 400 minutes

Well, more randomness. I started the week off with Lawnmower Man - friend and I got together and decided to run through the game multiple times. The first run was pretty bad, 43 minutes, as we ended up getting screwed over hard on the Driving segment and had to play it safe for everything afterwards so we ended up taking it slow. Past that though we got around 30 or less as we were able to conserve lives through it. One big issue though, my one good 1st party controller died so all I have is my MadCatz 3rd-party which is a bit squishy to use and has a chip taken off the side so I really need to buy new controllers now.

King's Quest makes an appearance from me as while raiding my bookshelves, I found a neat little book - The King's Quest Companion Vol. 3 - or something like that which has fiction versions of the stories, maps of the game, and guides on how to beat them. I ended up using this 3/4s of the way through as I couldn't remember what to do... King's Quest on the Apple II is pretty cool, I only ever really played the IBM versions and this one played smoothly anyways, so I enjoyed it.

PC98 wasn't anything exciting this week. I started with those Purple Cat games, which are short little scenarios that involve a guy going after a girl or something like that. It wasn't anything exciting to read, but hey it was something to do so I went with it - at least the drawings spliced into the thing were fairly well-done. Tokio Twilight Busters was cool, it's an adventure game about four people who are investigating and fighting a supernatural force. There's cool graphics to it, the game played smoothly, and had a good plot anyways. Past that, there was Wedding Bell ha Takakari ni... I couldn't figure this one out but kept screwing with it anyways. It had some gameshow-esque thing involving a board, turns, etc. but all the questions were Japanese knowledge things which I could never get right more than 1/3 of the time. I ended up just guessing stuff, and if you got whatever right occasionally you'd get an image of someone - it could be neat, but, only if you know a lot of Japanese stuff.

So yeah, not a ton of exciting stuff (or at least much to talk about). I'm thinking of pulling out more Apple II stuff for next week, but I really don't feel like sifting through a ton of disks... anyways, yeah I got new games on Steam so I'll probably just do that.

• Like 4

I don't know if this is eligible, but I have been reworking quite a bit of code in an old release of mine for the TI-99/4A, "Lemonade Stand." I am attempting to get it down to a smaller size for a cassette release.

In the process of modifying and tweaking (byte crunching) I have playtested the game over and over making sure I am not breaking anything.

If you strip out coding time, I have probably played the game for a good 8 hours (480 minutes) this week.

Would it be considered eligible?

• Like 5

I don't know if this is eligible, but I have been reworking quite a bit of code in an old release of mine for the TI-99/4A, "Lemonade Stand." I am attempting to get it down to a smaller size for a cassette release.

In the process of modifying and tweaking (byte crunching) I have playtested the game over and over making sure I am not breaking anything.

If you strip out coding time, I have probably played the game for a good 8 hours (480 minutes) this week.

Would it be considered eligible?

You were playing it so I'm sure it is eligible.

Just my opinion though. See what thegoldenband says.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think as long as you're actually playing the game -- as opposed to firing it up simply to check a particular graphic or sound, for example -- it counts. :) It also helps that it's a finished game that's being optimized for a different format, so the gameplay's all there.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think as long as you're actually playing the game -- as opposed to firing it up simply to check a particular graphic or sound, for example -- it counts. :) It also helps that it's a finished game that's being optimized for a different format, so the gameplay's all there.

Yea. I played it all the way through (30 days of fun) several times to check calculations, etc... :)

To add:

TI-99/4A:

Lemonade Stand (480 minutes)

• Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (March 13th through 19th)...

Arcade:

Crossbow - 89 min.

Atari 7800:

Yps Challenge - 24 min.

Commodore 64:

Toy Bizarre - 81 min. in 3 sessions

NES:

Bee 52 - 13 min.

I started off the week with playing some Yps Challenge, which is a game similar to Mario Bros. or Wonder Boy, and actually is a graphics hack of Bentley Bear's Quest. Yps is an old German magazine with recently has been resurrected as as retro magazine with a "gimmick". It also contains some comics. This was done by a member of Atariage and obviously handled very differently than "Smurf Rescue" for the Amiga which has been taken down by Peyo after the creator published it on his own homepage. In contrast to that, it seems like Yps Challenge were first offered to Yps, and they published it as a giveaway on their own homepage, bundled with the ProSystem emulator.

Then I continued to play Toy Bizarre, but I only played three rather short sessions mainly consisting of one game each.

On the NES, I saw Bee 52 as an unlicensed game on Youtube, so I had to try that, since it's much like what I imagined a game about Maya the Bee to be. Well, almost... the game has several problems. I didn't manage to come back with enough honey to make it to the next level, and it gets pretty much impossible if you lose a life, and with it all its honey, but the flowers you've already been to are still closed, so you can't collect any more honey from them!

Lastly, I played the arcade original of Crossbow. It's actually not too hard... I managed to beat it in one session after noting where the various colored paths go to.

• Like 3