IGNORED

WIP Battle Pong- Questions, Comments, Snide Remarks Welcome

That sounds good.. And I also think its good as is. I think just having something up there is good for now because I still need to add other things. I still need to add a little menu to select one or two players and maybe some other flair. Speaking of that Excel spreadsheet, seeing it that big, I think converting this to PF graphics would look good too.

Darrell.. I noticed in Medieval Mayhem, you had to re-write a lot of the code for each individual 48 pixel graphic. Why did you have to do that and not use a subroutine? Was it because the graphics were different heights?

Darrell.. I noticed in Medieval Mayhem, you had to re-write a lot of the code for each individual 48 pixel graphic. Why did you have to do that and not use a subroutine? Was it because the graphics were different heights?

It's a dynamic menu, the extra code is determining things like which of the MORE indicators to display, such as bottom only:

post-3056-0-93880800-1488294784_thumb.png

Both:

post-3056-0-93986600-1488294790_thumb.png

Top only:

post-3056-0-95250600-1488294795_thumb.png

which options are shown (the menu scrolls), the color of the text (selected option & value are colored differently), and the value for each option. After each of those are figured out and prepped for, the Show48graphic subroutine is called to display it. Additionally paddle readings are taken during the menu.

Note: the "more" indicators are always displayed, they're just colored black when they're not needed:

post-3056-0-24099500-1488294996_thumb.png

• Like 1

That sounds good.. And I also think its good as is. I think just having something up there is good for now because I still need to add other things. I still need to add a little menu to select one or two players and maybe some other flair.

Of course. Better to get the functional stuff out of the way first.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's a dynamic menu, the extra code is determining things like which of the MORE indicators to display, such as bottom only:

Thanks, I'll have to look at that.. but I wasn't specific enough. I'm referring to parts like this:

lda #<Fireballs
        sta G48
	lda #>Fireballs
	sta G48+1
	lda #<(Fireballs+19)
        sta G48+2         
	lda #>(Fireballs+19)
	sta G48+3
	lda #<(Fireballs+38)
        sta G48+4
	lda #>(Fireballs+38)
	sta G48+5
	lda #<(Fireballs+57)
        sta G48+6
	lda #>(Fireballs+57)
	sta G48+7
	lda #<(Fireballs+76)
        sta G48+8
	lda #>(Fireballs+76)
	sta G48+9
	lda #<(Fireballs+95)
        sta G48+10
	lda #>(Fireballs+95)
	sta G48+11

ldy #18

Each graphic has its own indirect addressing setup like this. Is there a way that "Fireballs" and the other names could be switched to a variable so this routine could be called for each graphic, not rewritten each time for Fireballs, etc?

Aha!

Looks like that's from an earlier build, that no longer exists in the latest source code for Medieval Mayhem.

I suspect that's from before the menu scrolled up/down and those instructions are being run while the menu is being drawn, so speedy performance would have been a requirement. All of those values are pre-calculated by DASM, so every LDA takes just 2 cycles, while every STA takes 3, or 60 cycles (less than a scanline of processor time) to set all of them. Any other option would take the 6507 longer to run (ie: a second scanline of time).

• Like 1

Here's the latest version with a functioning start menu, and the 2 player version of the game functions as well. Game can be selected with the joystick, and started by pressing fire or the reset switch.

I want to add music or sound as well. Any suggestions?

BP6.bin

Edited by BNE Jeff

Thanks- TIA random was off already. I/O was on so I turned it off but that had no effect. I'll have to start checking for missing #s.

Now I found this- When I re-launch the game via the associated .bin and the issue occurs, if I hit F3 and reload the ROM, it starts properly at the menu screen.

• 1 year later...

I made a lot of changes in an attempt to finish: (Don't try the one player game, you can't fire for some reason)

The ball no longer escapes the playfield when its angry

There is an intro sequence instead the jumbotron cycling through endlessly

The prizes and ball mood are triggered by you now instead of just cycling through

There is rudimentary gameplay- serving, scoring, sound, an end (just goes to static for now at 5000 points). Racquetball style volleying (the ball has to hit the back wall before you can hit it).

Missiles are now fired by you, and hitting the other player has effect

BP7u.bin

Edited by BNE Jeff
  • Like 2

I made a lot of changes in an attempt to finish: (Don't try the one player game, you can't fire for some reason)

The ball no longer escapes the playfield when its angry

There is an intro sequence instead the jumbotron cycling through endlessly

The prizes and ball mood are triggered by you now instead of just cycling through

There is rudimentary gameplay- serving, scoring, sound, an end (just goes to static for now at 5000 points). Racquetball style volleying (the ball has to hit the back wall before you can hit it).

Missiles are now fired by you, and hitting the other player has effect

I tried it on both the Harmony Encore and the UNO cart and both have the issues you stated above.