IGNORED

Geneve "Tony's Menu"

etownandy

I'm trying to figure out how to customize "Tony's Menu for MDOS v6.71"

Specifically, I want to add the c99 compiler to item K, moving everything else down until item N (I'd get rid of the Floppy formatter, since I'm doing this out of emulation).

I've taken a look at the AUTOEXEC, and I've managed to add/shift things around (pressing K launches the compiler). However, I can't for the life of me figure out where the menu ITSELF gets generated. I see the menu text for Edu and Game carts near the bottom of the AUTOEXEC, but I see nothing similar for the main menu, nor can I see anything where it seems to be loaded from elsewhere.

Any ideas?

post-40510-0-12617700-1492004201_thumb.png

• Like 1

If I have time this weekend, I'll take a look at the files I have from Tony. I know it isn't ANSI; if I remember correctly, it is a VDP screen or dump. We had talked about it many years ago (2002?) at the Chicago TI Faire but the particulars escape me.

If you are creative and want to make something for yourself using mono or 16-color ANSI, you could display it with VCLR, the ansi interpreter I wrote for MDOS command line.

I'm trying to figure out how to customize "Tony's Menu for MDOS v6.71"

Tony's MENU text is embedded in the executable file "DISPLAY". You'll need to sector edit the file, using Disk Utilities, Funnelweb Disk Review, or some other method to change the options. It appears to be using Graphics mode 6, with colors embedded in the data stream. Play with a copy when you edit the text.

Just in case it ever comes up, the copy I have contains incorrectly placed instructions in the first few bytes. There may be times the menu doesn't load properly or causes some weird effects.

Easy peasy, and I was able to make the changes I wanted. Thanks, again. I saw "DISPLAY" in the auto exec but figured it had something to do with the 9938 or something. I guess I could rename it to something like "MENU" and change the auto exec. I'm sure I'll want to make another change a year or two from now, and completely forget that I posted for help this time around. Getting older, donchaknow :)

• Like 1

Easy peasy, and I was able to make the changes I wanted. Thanks, again. I saw "DISPLAY" in the auto exec but figured it had something to do with the 9938 or something. I guess I could rename it to something like "MENU" and change the auto exec. I'm sure I'll want to make another change a year or two from now, and completely forget that I posted for help this time around. Getting older, donchaknow :)

Indeed ;) Tony might have had some other MENU related files on his system that the path would have found at the command line, or he just called it that for its function. Regardless, I'd say have at it and make it your own ;)