IGNORED

MegaSpeedy Operations?

Larry

I have a MS, but I have used it very little thus far. I thought I'd start testing it, especially in Happy and Super Archiver modes. I have both of those (original) upgrades, and am pretty familiar with their operations.

My MS Happy is set to "H1" and the MS rom was flashed with the "HAPPY1.ROM" file. My test computer is a totally stock 800XL, then a 320K XE and last a 600XL with Antonia.

(snip)

I had flashed H1 and then had issues getting the drive to program with the Rev 7.1 software. I then went back and flashed H2 and H3. Both those worked fine, so I re-flashed H1. This time, the drive programs fine, so perhaps I did something wrong the first time around.

I also ran some quick tests of the Super Archiver setting, and it appears to work fine.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the H1, H2, and H3 roms? I presume H1 is "stock" since it passes the diagnostics ROM test.

-Larry

Hi,

there are a LOT of different ROM images for the Happy 1050 and clones in the wild. I think, 95% of them are patched or hacked versions in any way. In most cases the source and intention of the patch / mod is not reproducible.

The MegaSpeedy is delivered without Happy ROMs installed due to copyright limitations. So I think you downloaded the ROMs "anywhere"... and then nobody knows, which files you have. I have 10 or so versions and also not really know the differences. Some pass all 7.1 tests (also ROM), other not. The main difference I found in writing. Some ROM files enables fast, highspeed writes with typical software (U.S. sector copier, Speedy copier, Copy2000 and so on), other not. They switch only to highspeed-mode if a "Verify = OFF" command is sent, which is unusual.

Most of the hacked / patched versions have problems with the trackbuffer when writing to disc. I use most times the version from AtariMax, it works fine also for the MegaSpeedy.

BR Jurgen

AFAIK there are only two official versions of the 1050 Happy ROM. The 7.1 (and 7.0 as well, I think) ROM test can be used to verify if the ROM is original, and will also tell if it's the newer or the older official ROM. In one case the ROM tests shows "PASS" (all uppercase), in the other case it shows "Pass" (capitalized). Sorry don't remember which one is the old and which one is the new. The manual does tell.

Conceivable hacked versions could be crafted so to pass the ROM test, but that's not so trivial because it is not a simple checksum and it's some kind of hash with quite some bits (don't remember if 32 or 64 bits).

Jurgen. May we you could publish hash signatures of the known official Happy ROMs. The only problem is that good dumps from the same ROM might differ in the bytes used for bank switching :(

Btw, if somebody thinks it has the official old version of the Happy ROM, I would like to see it. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have sent a PM on this to some people, but I thought I would put it out there..

I have installed both that I bought this past year, one in my drive and one in my buddies.

I have visited Steve Cardin's site, and I have a zip file with roms , atrs, and a couple of documents.

My questions -

IS there a MegaSpeedy(the one I bought) manual?

For example, I know how to bring up the firmware display and turn and select the firmware I am going to use, but what can go into the firmware slots? IS there a doc on how to use the flasher? I see some have a firmware and a dos.. or a copy program, etc.. Is there an ability for me to put what I want in a slot? I like SmartDos 6.1d .. can I put that in a slot? or Realdos?

That being said, what about documentation on the various modes? I have never owned or used any of the "modes" here, just an original 1050. SO... how do i use "E" Mega Speedy mode? what are its features and functions? OR "S" or "U" or do I need to search each of these original enhancements and try and find its documentation??

Thanks

James

OK, I think I have found out what some of my confusion is.. but its not good I think.

If I set the firmware to FL - I dont boot to the flasher program by Matthias, I boot to the MegaSpeed Menu.

But from what I have been reading if I loose the flasher, than I need to re-program the Eprom?

From what I remember when I tested the other one I installed in my buddies 1050, his did the same thing.. so either 2 are wrong? or maybe there is something else I am missing ??

James

No one?

Hey man - jump on IRC if ya can. My is playing GTA V for the 1st time ever on the 360 in our bedroom. I find it funny, the 1st 2 things I showed her in the game, was stomping a hooker to death and stealing a car. Don't judge us.

• Like 1

Just in case you have a megaspeedy OR you want to make a new bezel for your 1050. TigerDuck has done an STL file we can all use to make a new one.. this one has gone through several tests, and it fits and works..

SO attached is the files I got from the ABBUC.DE forum.. (good if you want to join!) and you too can take it to your local printer and have it done. :)

James

1050_stl_files.zip

• Like 5

Here you are:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/231176-mega-speedy-the-ultimate-1050-upgrade-intrest-assesment/page-9?do=findComment&comment=3189651

BTW:

In one of the ABBUC magazines, there is chapter about Megaspeedy CPLD update.

I don't know if your Megaspeedy has the up-to-date CPLD, but I would recommend the update (just for case).

The error in the original CPLD (if I understood correctly) could cause under certain circumstances formatting of a diskette.

• Like 1

Solved my issue..

Hispeed OS on an U1mb computer cannot be loaded and get the FLASHER to work on the Megaspeedy.. conflict I guess.

James

Yeah same thing happened to me too some time ago. I was going crazy until i figured it out :-). Sorry i haven't seen your cry for help earlier but glad you solved it.

Hispeed OS on an U1mb computer cannot be loaded and get the FLASHER to work on the Megaspeedy.. conflict I guess.

I've finished first test-versions of the (Mega-)Speedy ROMs with fixes for the highspeed SIO issues on NTSC systems:

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/megaspeedy-software-170422.zip

You can update the Mega Speedy on NTSC systems using the flasher from the drive if you use a stock OS ROM (without highspeed SIO, and no HISIO from U1MB PBI as well) and disable use of highspeed in the flasher:

• select flasher mode ("FL") on your Mega Speedy
  • boot Atari with stock OS ROM, select flasher
  • disable highspeed SIO in the flasher menu (with the "H" key)
  • program FLASHER.ROM from megaspeedy.atr into one of your Mega Speedy slots (I used "E4")
Please note that this version isn't fully tested yet and there may be issues. Please report back if it works on your system(s) or if you have issues. Also, if possible, test on both PAL and on NTSC systems.

I've also included fixed versions of the Speedy ROMs (with BiboDos and HSS copy) and the Super Speedy ROM (with supercopy).

As a side note: Updating the old Speedy ROMs was a bit nasty. The Speedy OS has nice entry vectors into it's OS ROM but guess who didn't use these but jumped directly into ROM locations - exactly, the BiboDos and HSS loaders... Well, so I had to patch these, too, to use official entry-points (where it was possible) and allow them to work with the newer Speedy ROM.

so long,

Hias

• Like 8

Just noticed that I forgot to update the ROM checksums on the original Speedy ROMs so the Speedy test program reported a ROM error (the ROMs would work fine though).

Here's a fixed version (Mega Speedy and Super Speedy ROMs are identical to yesterday's version):

http://www.horus.com/~hias/tmp/megaspeedy-software-170423.zip

so long,

Hias

• Like 2

Just noticed that I forgot to update the ROM checksums on the original Speedy ROMs so the Speedy test program reported a ROM error (the ROMs would work fine though).

Here's a fixed version (Mega Speedy and Super Speedy ROMs are identical to yesterday's version):

so long,

Hias

Hias your archive included two atr's and also a directory of ROMS.

Which are updated? what should I be flashing??

Megaspeedy?

Flasher?

Speedy?

all of the roms from all the roms you had in the above link??

James

so long,

Hias

Nice catch, as always Hias shows a determined and thorough effort. His good works do not go un-noticed. :)

Hias your archive included two atr's and also a directory of ROMS.

Which are updated? what should I be flashing??

Megaspeedy?

Flasher?

Speedy?

megaspeedy.atr contains the updated Mega Speedy ROM (FLASHER.ROM), the ROM file is identical to the FLASHER.ROM in the roms directory.

speedy-roms.atr contains the updated roms for the original Speedy and Super Speedy. Again, the ROMs in this atr are identical to the ones in the roms directory - only the filenames were shortened to 8.3.

So either use the ATRs or the separate files from roms, whatever suits you best.

so long,

Hias

• Like 1

which methods of correction and final speeds were settled on

I've rewritten the highspeed receive code from scratch so that it should work fine both on PAL and NTSC systems.

The source to that is in src/roms/patches/receive-hi.src

I also had to move the standard speed receive and transmit code to different locations in the ROM to make room for the new highspeed receive code.

The sources of these are in src/roms/patches/ as well (BTW ignore the receive-hi-1.src and receive-hi-2.src files, these are older, non-working test versions and shouldn't have ended up in the ZIP :)

Since we don't have the source code of the speedy ROM I have to apply binary patches to the ROM. So the above files are first assembled and then applied to the original speedy 1.5 ROM via the patch-* shell scripts in src/roms.

Although not as comfortable as assembling the ROM completely from source this allows me to rather easily create patched test ROMs in an automated way - change source code, type "make", test ROM in Altirra.

For the Mega Speedy I apply another patch (to init the additional hardware registers in Mega Speedy mode) which is now also handled via the patch system. It uses the patched speedy rom as a base and applies the additional reset init patch.

So the full patch sequence is original Speedy 1.5 rom -> highspeed patches -> megaspeedy reset patch.

are the changes made in the changelogs? :)

Duh, I hoped no one would notice that I missed to update the changelog :) Just noticed that myself about 2 hours ago :)

so long,

Hias

• Like 1