IGNORED

Atari 8 bit video output to VGA...

Solomon_Man

Soooooo... I have this thing. And I can't get it to work. Trying to hook my Atari 400 to a 4:3 vga flat panel monitor through the composite/video in. No luck. Any ideas?

s-l1600.jpg

Unless you've modded your 400, you're not getting composite out of it. The cable is modulated RF. To get composite video you'll need to run that through a dedicated demodulator or a VCR, then run the composite signal from that into the box you've got there.

Unless you've modded your 400, you're not getting composite out of it. The cable is modulated RF. To get composite video you'll need to run that through a dedicated demodulator or a VCR, then run the composite signal from that into the box you've got there.

Well that explains A LOT! I imagine a demodulator ain't gonna be cheap....

$50 or more usually. A $5 VCR from Goodwill works great for this.

Ha! I can never find a VCR anymore. The local thrift shops never have them. Think people are hanging on to them. Thanks for the info, looking on ebay for demodulators. If you have a recommendation, I'll take it.

Ha! I can never find a VCR anymore. The local thrift shops never have them. Think people are hanging on to them. Thanks for the info, looking on ebay for demodulators. If you have a recommendation, I'll take it.

I know I have a demod or two that may or may not work, I'll dig one out and test a little. You can Have one as I won't be needing them any time soon. I'm just south of Balt, so the shipping shouldn't be much, just shoot me a PM w/your address

I know I have a demod or two that may or may not work, I'll dig one out and test a little. You can Have one as I won't be needing them any time soon. I'm just south of Balt, so the shipping shouldn't be much, just shoot me a PM w/your address

Wellll... I just dug thru my junk and discovered I have 3 modulators, just the opposite of what you need. On the other hand I have a VCR you can have, but the shipping would suck. Your welcome to it if you can't find a local one.

Yogi

Soooooo... I have this thing. And I can't get it to work. Trying to hook my Atari 400 to a 4:3 vga flat panel monitor through the composite/video in. No luck. Any ideas?

This won't work properly with the 8 bit Ataris even if your Atari has Composite/S-Video output. I've just got one, and the video output is always in Black and White. The picture is decent enough but there's no color. It works fine with other video sources like DVDs, cameras etc. as long as the video output from them is Interlaced. Apparently Atari's video output is Progressive and that's what causing the trouble with color output.

I use an Ambery video to VGA converter box myself.

http://www.ambery.com/vitoxgacoscs.html

The converter description says "The VGA output from this composite video to VGA converter scaler is a perfect video line doubler solution for converting INTERLACED video into progressive scan type". It doesn't mention anything about the source being PROGRESSIVE, so you were in fact lucky that it works with your 1200XL.

Also, for international users, it is less expensive to buy this through eBay (https://tinyurl.com/kqlsh3s) as the shipping charges are pretty high when bought from the web store.

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

I am amazed by that. Every single thrift store, GoodWill or otherwise in my town has at least one or two VCRs anytime I stop by. Usually they go for $5 or less as DrVenkman pointed out. But the one thing I can never find, is anything Atari related. I think the last time I did find something it was an Atari compatible joystick (Gem Stick), and that was over a year ago. Believe me when I say... me and the wife go to thrift shops at least 1-2 times a week. This is mostly for her benefit, but at times I score some great deals on computer related stuff (monitors, printers, cables, ect.).

- Michael

• Like 1

The converter description says "The VGA output from this composite video to VGA converter scaler is a perfect video line doubler solution for converting INTERLACED video into progressive scan type". It doesn't mention anything about the source being PROGRESSIVE, so you were in fact lucky that it works with your 1200XL.

Also, for international users, it is less expensive to buy this through eBay (https://tinyurl.com/kqlsh3s) as the shipping charges are pretty high when bought from the web store.

No I wasn't "lucky", it will work with ANY 240p signal. Every single game system or computer from the 80's uses a progressive scan ~240p screen display (only video media players used interlace) The first one that had 480i interlace out of the box was the Panasonic 3DO in '94, even the Saturn, PSX and N64 still had 240p only and the Dreamcast was the next with 480i via video or 480p via VGA, and I have several 80's and 90's 240p progressive scan systems hooked into it right now. The 1200XL is even PAL converted and sends a 50Hz signal which this device has no problem accepting and looks as good as my 60Hz NTSC systems, all output to 480p progressive with this Ambery device. You need to read the specs closer. But in any case, it does line-doubling to 240p signals and turns 480i both into 480p progressive.

But you know what? I really don't give a damn if you believe me or get it or not. That's what I get for trying to help with a REAL ANSWER to the problem. Everybody and his brother buys some cheapo Chinese $10-20 brick that doesn't work right, and then thinks they just KNOW that there can't possibly be a QUALITY device that does exactly what it claims...I've heard it for a decade now, every time I tell people about the Ambery, and I've been using a $40 Ambery for a decade and it works with eveything I ever owned or own in that time and still works like new today.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Bryan's UAV mod will add composite/s-video to any Atari 8-bit, the RF output can be disabled or work in parallel with this circuit. The 400 also needs a separate mod to add a non-modulated audio signal.

No guarantee, but there is a possibility that your converter may work with the UAV output signal. If not at least you would have a composite/s-video signal which may work with other devices.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260267-the-uav-rev-d-video-upgrade-thread/page-1

Edited by BillC

But you know what? I really don't give a damn if you believe me or get it or not. That's what I get for trying to help with a REAL ANSWER to the problem.

I didn't say i don't believe you. Looking at the specs again it says "Converts all analog composite video signals into progressive type VGA signals", so I suppose that means both interlaced and progressive input signals, even though it is not immediately clear to me from the description.

In any case i will get one of those from ebay as the shipping from the website is too high. Thanks for letting us know one that works.

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

I didn't say i don't believe you. Looking at the specs again it says "Converts all analog composite video signals into progressive type VGA signals", so I suppose that means both interlaced and progressive input signals, even though it is not immediately clear to me from the description.

In any case i will get one of those from ebay as the shipping from the website is too high. Thanks for letting us know one that works.

Well, I'm sorry you felt shipping was too high for you where you are at, but the Ambery video-to-VGA is nothing but quality and I bought one of those black ones from ebay years ago myself, and it burned out after six months. My Ambery's have lasted, one for 10 years, the other for 5, so far, working like new, and far better than tha Chinese black box O'junk. Soon we will be seeing replies here conforming how good it is, once one of the people in this thread,who said they were going to get one get theirs.

• Like 1

Well, I'm sorry you felt shipping was too high for you where you are at, but the Ambery video-to-VGA is nothing but quality and I bought one of those black ones from ebay years ago myself, and it burned out after six months. My Ambery's have lasted, one for 10 years, the other for 5, so far, working like new, and far better than tha Chinese black box O'junk. Soon we will be seeing replies here conforming how good it is, once one of the people in this thread,who said they were going to get one get theirs.

My only complain about the Chinese made one is it doesn't work with the Atari correctly. Other input devices display a nice, upscaled video, i can not comment for longevity as i will probably never use it again because i have no need to convert any other device's video. I am currently using an EasyCap clone to capture video from my Atari, but the video quality is subpar and the voice quality simply sucks. Besides I don't want to run a PC just to display Atari video on my VGA monitor, so I will buy one of those ones Ambery sells (i don't think Ambery is the brand name though). The device is called "Ultra Composite Video S-Video To VGA Converter Scaler" and is probably made in China as well. Some other vendor(s) sell the same device through eBay.

Edited by gargoyle

My only complain about the Chinese made one is it doesn't work with the Atari correctly. Other input devices display a nice, upscaled video, i can not comment for longevity as i will probably never use it again because i have no need to convert any other device's video. I am currently using an EasyCap clone to capture video from my Atari, but the video quality is subpar and the voice quality simply sucks. Besides I don't want to run a PC just to display Atari video on my VGA monitor, so I will buy one of those ones Ambery sells (i don't think Ambery is the brand name though). The device is called "Ultra Composite Video S-Video To VGA Converter Scaler" and is probably made in China as well. Some other vendor(s) sell the same device through eBay.

American made. Ambery IS the name brand, as printed on the back of it. If you'd bother to research the web site for 30 seconds, you'd know. You're talking to a guy who has had one for 10 years, as I've mentioned several times, directly in response to you too, you moron. As I already stated. I think I can read were it was manufactured too, I can read! Go F yourself Gargoyle, your just a troll.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Some other vendor(s) sell the same device through eBay.

Yes, they do, the exact same device, with the exact same description, exact, and the exact same retail price. What a unique concept, a manufacturer who not only sells direct to the consumer, but sells to other dealers and probably stores, as well! :-o

Just like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Composite-Video-S-Video-To-VGA-Converter-Scaler-/121541637356?hash=item1c4c7234ec:g:TaIAAOxyGStRvOD5

It does say unbranded there, but maybe Ambery sells them as generic/unbranded to dealers at a discount it happens all the time. I worked in a meat processing plant one summer as a youth and the exact same meat and sausage was put into generic packaging and Jimmy Dean (a big name brand in the states) packaging at the end of the line. Mine has a brand name on it. But regardless, it's a matter of quality, not brand or where it is made. If you pay $10 for the Chinese brick, you'll get what you pay for. If you by a $42 dollar Ambery model AV-8 (like it does say in this listing above) You'll get what you pay for too, actually, I'd pay 3 times as much for the device, knowing what I know now, as it's as good as similar devices that sell for $150.

Or maybe the ones being sold on ebay are Chinese knock-off clones, they do that all the time too. I'd buy direct from Ambery to be on the safe side. You get a warranty, full-time customer service and a brand name on the product from a brick and mortar company in California.

I bought a $35 dollar pair of work boots 2 years and 2 months ago. The soles wore out in 2 months. I then went to a quality retailer and bought a $75 dollar pair of work boots and I've had them for 2 years now and they look like they will last another few years still. Guess where the $35 dollar boots where made...I'll give you a hint, it starts with a "C" and ends with an "a." Guess where the $75 dollar boots were made...hint, it starts with a "U" and ends with an "A."

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3

American made. Ambery IS the name brand, as printed on the back of it. If you'd bother to research the web site for 30 seconds, you'd know. You're talking to a guy who has had one for 10 years, as I've mentioned several times, directly in response to you too, you moron. As I already stated. I think I can read were it was manufactured too, I can read! Go F yourself Gargoyle, your just a troll.

You really need to calm down, do you have some kind of anger issue!!, if so go see a shrink, this is not a place to insult people, that's getting tiresome and quite ridiculous!!.

Edited by gargoyle

Update on my cheap chinese brick :)

post-48023-0-83825100-1492798368_thumb.jpg

It turns out the first one i received was either defective or the firmware was buggy. The replacement I've got today works with no problem. It is exactly the same device with different firmware and a slightly different button configuration. So if you don't mind taking a risk and have plenty of time and can wait for the replacement to come in case the first device doesn't work, it is a good overall converter. Longevity remains to be seen.

Here are a couple of photos of the S-Video to VGA converted Atari screen:

post-48023-0-66052200-1492798395_thumb.jpg post-48023-0-64611700-1492798483_thumb.jpg post-48023-0-01816500-1492798503_thumb.jpg

post-48023-0-95494000-1492798522_thumb.jpg post-48023-0-47136500-1492798533_thumb.jpg post-48023-0-00659100-1492798548_thumb.jpg

post-48023-0-98824800-1492798558_thumb.jpg post-48023-0-05606600-1492798570_thumb.jpg

Edited by gargoyle
  • Like 1

It is NO WHERE NEAR the quality of the Ambery, and does not have many of the features and those it does have are inferior. I already said, again, several times, that I owned that very device, and while it worked fine while it worked for a few months, it was the difference between RF and S-video in picture qulaity compared to the Ambery. Been there, done that.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

You really need to calm down, do you have some kind of anger issue!!, if so go see a shrink, this is not a place to insult people, that's getting tiresome and quite ridiculous!!.

You are obviously completely oblivious to the fact that the word has no emotion. It can evoke emotion, but the words I type at you have no emotion behind them and I am as calm as a cucumber. Capitol letters are used to make sure you see the words and the names are a vain attempt to snap you out of your moronic insanity. NOTHING MORE. YOU just like to argue and be a total prick going against any advice others give and promoting crap in it's place, the same EXACT crap I've warned others off of! Good luck with your Chinese junk, you'll of course never mention it when it burns out on you in short order, and enjoy the sub-par picture compared to the Ambery.

Go back a page in this thread and download the flicker term 80 program that was posted. Run that and take a screen shot...I dare you.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Surprise, surprise...it wasn't buggy, it was junk. Part of that 50-50 chance the crap will work at all!

Update on my cheap chinese brick :)

attachicon.gif$_57.JPG

It turns out the first one i received was either defective or the firmware was buggy.

But seriously, good luck with it. I hope yours out lasts what mine did, and it is definitely nice to be able to use the Atari on a VGA monitor. Even if it is no better a picture than straight S-video.

Edited by Gunstar

Go back a page in this thread and download the flicker term 80 program that was posted. Run that and take a screen shot...I dare you.

I don't really care about flicker term, so you don't need to dare me.

Surprise, surprise...it wasn't buggy, it was junk. Part of that 50-50 chance the crap will work at all!

But seriously, good luck with it. I hope yours out lasts what mine did, and it is definitely nice to be able to use the Atari on a VGA monitor. Even if it is no better a picture than straight S-video.

Junk or otherwise, it works and all i needed was a straight S-Video on a bigger (upscaled) VGA screen, so I am happy.

How long will it last, who knows, for $10 + free shipping, who cares!.

You can promote whatever you feel like to promote. All I am saying here is that these "cheap chinese junk" do actually work with the Atari, and it's way better than dedicating a PC just to capture the video. Ambery might be better (or not, depending on what one expects from this hardware), but this is not what I am talking about here.

Edited by gargoyle

You are the one who claimed your $10 converter was the same thing as my $42 Ambery when you have absolutely no experience with it whatsoever, and I have years, so I challenge you to prove it. I've owned both, I already know which is better and easily worth 20 of what you have or more, based my experience and what I payed. While you are coming along and challenging me at every turn, with absolutely no prior experience with either one until just recently, now you have hours of experience with one of them. I don't care about flicker term either, it will just prove to all here that the Ambery is clearly superior. And that you have been blowing nothing but hot air from your made-up perceptions from the beginning. By the same token, your refusal proves me right.

I don't really care about flicker term, so you don't need to dare me.

Edited by Gunstar