IGNORED

Eric in Monsterland rev.5 beta

Retrospect

The label is fantastic Ciro, thanks man!

Glad you enjoy my game. There are a set of EA5 files in a zip if you look, where the download is, I think EA5 is the one for mounting onto cartridges unless I'm wrong.

Yeah regarding the difficulty ... I released an early beta demo of the game, and I think it was Ciro, who said something like "It's not hard enough" ... so I kept bashing away at it until it because just nice and hard ... and now it seems to satisfy. I can't even complete the game myself That's always good. I didn't want the game to be too easy.

Edited by Retrospect
  • Like 3

Good game. Really fun and challenging!!

Couple things:

1) I found a bug where jumping between screens causes death. This is something I like to do anyway in sidescrollers, but I found one screen where it was important because a spider was on the ground at the corner. Only happened twice.

2) I would love a scoring system to be implemented. Something like a base score for each screen multiplied by a fixed multiplier for how many lives you lost while on the screen. This way we could shoot for a Super Perfect, if you will. The score doesn't have to be updated until the screen switches, and it doesn't even have to be displayed until the GAME OVER screen if you don't want to clutter up the display.

Other than that, I liked the hornet level. Took me 3 lives to beat it, but I did. I died on the screen immediately following it though. :)

Screenshot_20170421-193448_zpsdlapitqs.p

And this is my final screen.

Screenshot_20170421-193458_zpselwends2.p

• Like 3

Thanks Owen.

I'm not sure what could be causing the death when you jump the spider - i'm suspecting it's the screen with spiders and an arrow - the arrows are the only sprites that use auto-motion and wrap around the screen - it could be the case that the arrow wraps from the far left of the screen, to pixel 255 on the right, before it is even visible, it'll still be deadly.

Unless this is not the case - I can't think off the top of my head what could cause this death. I'll have a go now, see if i can re-create it your death scenario for myself

post-34058-0-73025900-1492823923_thumb.png

Was it this screen? That's the one where the arrow wraps to the right hand side but u still have to wait till it passes over before you can jump the spider, it's a close-call between the two

Edited by Retrospect

Hi @Retrospect, just a thought on the degree of difficulty.

I don´t know how such ´determination of coincidence´/´recognition of hits´ (bad english?) is programmed,

but i.e. if the distance="hit" of two objects is calculated by "0" Pixel, maybe this "0" can be set into a variable,

to easily change that variable later (->1 ->2 Pixels) in-game by the player, to have different levels of difficulty ?

(...and maybe use that variable too, for a different scoring on different chosen degrees of difficulty ?)

• Like 1

Hi Schmitzi, I'm thinking about doing a scoring system based on a sprite that goes across the bottom of the screen, and that the further away from the right hand of the screen it is when you complete that screen, is your score multiplied. Maybe! I'll have to tear some hair out later.

Karsten. Shit!! .... I tested for that in case the bird went into the fire. My bad, I'll have to move the fire back a little and post an update in a bit.

Owen: Well done mate. Even I can't get that far and I wrote the damn thing hehe. Yeah I'll implement some sort of score into it today I should think.

• Like 2

okay! I have a scoring system

On the game screen, atop the screen near the writing , is a line ... this line moves across the screen from left to right ...... basically, the faster you can complete any screen, the higher the score you get!

You now have a score and Hiscore system ... who can get the highest score ???

Also: The bug that Sometimes99er found has been dealt with!

The "Bird of Death" has agreed he should fly somewhat nearer to the right hand of the screen so as not to get his wings burnt, causing your death.

ERIC.zip <<< Fiad file (Classic99, Js99er, Real iron)

ERICEA5.zip <<< Ed Ass opt.5 file (for possible mounting onto any cart)

32K and XB needed.

• Like 1

Here's a video, and this is the best score I can get. I bet someone could push 3000?

I'm thinking of changing the white line to something like a witch on a broomstick, and getting the delay factor of 80 down to about 50 to make up for the extra calculation times.

• Like 2

Yea, I took this video last night and thought it had something to do with Eric jumping. Watching back on it now, it seems that the bat/fire combo is what it actually was. :)

Yep that's the one! .... That's been fixed this mornin' and there's another update on the way at some point today or tomorrow. I tried recording with the phone in my hand and found it too hard to play at same time lol

Hey, I'll put that into the next update. Score multiplied by lives or so many hundred per life , something like that. I think the score if I remember (I've gotten drunk since then) was you got 100 points per screen plus the bonus for how far the line was away from the right edge. That line is now a witch, which looks great. Eric racing the witch. Shes just there for the race lol

Nitpicking. ;)

I would change the positions of the stars to not align at all. Loosing the 32 by 24 screen character location appearance. Still yet using your two stars, white and blue, with the same pattern definition, here's what I did:

Placing only one star on each character row going from the top and down. Alternating between white and blue. Insuring that no star align with one previously set.

You have 17 stars and I ended up with 13. I think the overall impression is slightly more dynamic / organic. A matter of opinion. You could very well decide to stick with what you've got.

Your implementation might be more compact if you're using random placement, but I think the few data for fixed and hand-distributed stars are well worth it.

;)

eric2.gif

• Like 4