IGNORED

600/800XL Keyboard variants

Beetle

Missed this thread previous times it's come up - had no idea there were different keyboards for the XL's. My 800XL has a Type I and I still don't like it. It might be just that it hasn't aged well; I'm not sure. The keys just have no "bounce"; you press them and they kind of glide back up, a lot slower than I'd like. I type fast enough that sometimes they're not fully "up" by the time I hit them a second time, and that's really a nasty feeling. It's basically always a problem on any key I have to hit twice in a row; I feel like the second press is a lot harder.

Maybe when new this keyboard would have had a snappier feel to it, but I think it's that slowness of return that's led me to describe XL keyboards as feeling "mushy" in general. Although now I realize they may not all be equally this way.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Type 2, made by AWC (number 70166201) I think,and some of my key are not working properly,the keys are soldered on to the circuit board.anyway of fixing it..?

Do you have type 2 for sure or could it be type 2a?

I would be interested in it for parts either way if you don't fix it.

• 1 month later...

Are mylars for Type 4 (metal plate) keyboards available anywhere?

I think, nobody has them. BEST Electronics and myAtari (B&C) haven´t any mylar for that keyboard...

But you can fix it! All you need is some silver conductive paint and smooth hands. I suggest the following steps:

1. Use a very soft rubber (special for stencil-art for example) and clean all traces. You can remove a lot of the black, dirty parts from the traces.

2. Clean the whole mylar foil with hand-warm water and some dish liquid

3. Let it dry for 30 minutes

4. Use a stapler and mount the unfolded mylar to some soft wood or rubber or what you have and which is usable for staples. Of course use places for the staples at the outer corners of the mylar, where no traces etc. are. Without this step you will get mad for sure... :-D

5. Take a ruler, a very fine paintbrush and repaint all traces with the silver conductive paint. Start at the top, repaint all traces horizontally, let it dry 10 minutes, then all tarces diagonally, dry, then vertically. This way prevent you from blur out the conductive paint.

You will need 2-3 hours for the job. But in over 90% all cases I´ve done that the mylar is working again for years...

Jurgen

PS: Don´t be so lazy and fix only the traces you might see a broken trace... even if you fix it with success, a few months later another key(s) won´t work. I promise that... :mad:

• Like 6

Does this include painting the round dots that are the actual contact points? Would too much paint cause a thickness problem?

Edit: I assume this applies to the 1200XL Mitsumi keyboard as well.

Yes, the same way could be used for the 1200XL keyboard. But in the most times the main problem with the 1200XL keyboard is the "handover" from the PCB´s gold plated contacts to the mylar. Most times it´s enough to repaint the contact traces of the mylar at this "handover" point. Then remove the black coal plating, clean the contacts with isopropanyl alcohol. Finally I use one or two small stripes of duct tape to rise the pressure at this "handover" point (sorry.. when I get my own 1200XL, I can shot some pictures, it´s easier to understand). Maybe here´s a thread anybody else shown it already...

The round dots I also always repaint. There´s no problem with the thickness, even if you repaint it twice. The clearance between single key mechanism and the mylar is wide enough.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This thread needs updating...

(SNIP)

Type 4: Unknown - using "Hi-Tek/Stackpole-like" switches (incomplete! needs more detail!)

Bumping this thread due to an "parts machine" 800XL I just got today - it is a 33rd week of '84 production NTSC machine from Taiwan that, from the force it took to break friction on the case screws, has never been opened up. The keyboard has a nice feel - less force required than my other 800XL and 600XL machines and it has a sticker I've yet to see on any of the photos in this thread. All the keys work in my initial tests so I've no immediate plans to disassemble the keyboard assembly.

post-30400-0-12320600-1492641491_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-07356200-1492641502_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Did not realize that was considered rare... I have had at least 5 800's with that kind of keyboard switch and at least two 800XL's over the years with the same copper leaf contact.... I always found the logo amusing.... look at the figure and the 'stacked pole' of the logo.... :o

Edited by _The Doctor__

Bumping this thread due to an "parts machine" 800XL I just got today - it is a 33rd week of '84 production NTSC machine from Taiwan that, from the force it took to break friction on the case screws, has never been opened up. The keyboard has a nice feel - less force required than my other 800XL and 600XL machines and it has a sticker I've yet to see on any of the photos in this thread. All the keys work in my initial tests so I've no immediate plans to disassemble the keyboard assembly.

I've been considering these as the type 4. Is there much of a difference? I don't like how the SCCO types. Stiff keys and the typing experience does not flow. The shift and control keys frequently stick unless pressed in the exact middle. I have three of them. Slay burglars with them. That's what the guy in the logo is doing.

If you peel the logo off, on the underside of the label you can see a dead burglar with a C= shirt. /s

• Like 1

I've been considering these as the type 4. Is there much of a difference? I don't like how the SCCO types. Stiff keys and the typing experience does not flow.

That's why I noted this one - none of the earlier photos showed an actual Stackpole label, just some discussion of an ink stamp on the metal plate. Further, this machine types a lot more nicely - less force and more "flow" as you put it - than my other two.

That said, once I get one of my 1200XL machines running again, it's going to stay my main "daily driver" for a good while. :)

• Like 1

That's why I noted this one - none of the earlier photos showed an actual Stackpole label, just some discussion of an ink stamp on the metal plate. Further, this machine types a lot more nicely - less force and more "flow" as you put it - than my other two.

That said, once I get one of my 1200XL machines running again, it's going to stay my main "daily driver" for a good while. :)

Wow good to know! If I saw that machine in an auction thumbnail I would have passed it. Great find! Yes my SCCO's don't have the Stackpole label. =(

There is some irony in that the SCCO's often have great function keys. As in your photo. They are lined up evenly, the resistance is great, they often aren't corroding, are at a perfect height to match the transparent window (I love the window!!!), etc etc.. However the Alps model function keys often have very weak resistance and have become recessed over time (makes it look heavily used).

Is it possible to move the function keys from an SCCO to an Alps? I haven't desoldered the Alps function keys off or removed them from the SCCO. I did look closely and they appear to be different underneath the function keys key caps. Alternatively is there a way to fix the recessed function keys on the Alps? Maybe it's just a spring replacement issue.

• 4 months later...

If only that were true.....it's a PITA to remove those bastards because they "eat up" all the heat of my soldering station......

Once I saw Jon remove one in a YouTube video, it's easy if a bit time consuming. Don't actually remove the solder from the lugs and holes, just get it good and hot/soft, working a small flat blade screwdriver under the modulator can and pry very gently against the board as you heat the one or two lugs near the end of the board. It takes a few minutes but you can work the end of the can up and out of the mounting holes. Do the same for the ones on the side if it has any, and then the lug or lugs at the rear. You can clean out the holes or not as you choose after the can is gone. You my need to bend the mounting lugs straight as you heat up the solder if they were twisted during board assembly.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is the spring stiffness different for the the silver keys HSSOR on the various keyboards? I ask because all my 1200XL's have the same spring stiffness except the 1200XL PILOT unit. In that case the silver keys are softer than the regular keyboard and the Reset key is very stiff. I wasn't sure if that was the way 800s were originally as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my first 800XL, bought about January 1984. It is like type 2, made by AWC, Hong Kong, but it has a different number, 70166205-02, REV. 02.

The unique thing about it is the key contacts are mechanical copper, you can see in the picture with the key cap removed. No mylar. I'm not

sure if Beetle's type 2 has these type contacts, I would guess yes. I think these are the most reliable, long lasting keyboards.

I have one of these, and the key-switches are terrible. Because they are Open they are not as long lasting as expected. they are type 3. Even when cleaned they rub against the walls of the switch alot. The type 2 Futaba keyswitches are much nicer and also easier to source and longer lasting.