IGNORED

Finally, an Apple II plus again!

simbalion

After waiting half the day for the guy to finally arrive, I finally am an owner of an Apple II plus again after foolishly giving up my first years back. Other than the broken 'Z' key, it's in pretty good shape and does seem to work just fine, including the original Disk II. The power light seems to work when it wants (tapping it brings it on when it doesn't come on immediately) and the stub from the broken Z key is gone. The stub somehow either fell out or one of his family members pulled it out and pitched it. If it was still there, I think I could have repaired the key! Grrr! Might figure something out. Anyways, here are a quick couple of pictures. One of the inside and one of it set up temporarily for testing. Anyone know if a joystick card was made for this unit?

post-8339-0-18535900-1493511518.jpg

post-8339-0-38678300-1493511620.jpg

They made the Koala Pad (graphics tablet) that plugs into that socket. To me, a kid at the time, it was hi-tech. I had a real-life CAD system going. Woot!

What I found useful was an extension cable that brought the game i/o connector outside. It was a simple ZIF DIP socket connected to ribbon cable and plug. You could probably rig one up yourself easily enough, or pay $50 fleabay prices.. blechh..

I guess the better question would be: Did someone made an actual joystick for the II or II plus? All I've ever seen for them are game paddles. I know that the IIe an IIc have a joystick as I have two of those for the later units. I think the lack of a true joystick is one of the reasons I gave up on my other II plus years back when I found my IIc.

Edited by simbalion

I guess the better question would be: Did someone made an actual joystick for the II or II plus? All I've ever seen for them are game paddles.

Good question. I think even the earliest joysticks may not have appeared until the early '80s, toward the tail end of the ][+'s retail life. I'm thinking along the lines of the TG Products joystick. But without definitive release dates it's difficult to say for certain. Sifting through old computer publications from '78-81 for ads or reviews, while tedious and time-consuming, is probably the best course of action.

The old standby TG Products project box model. It used an R/C airplane transmitter stick. And a no-name stick in a metal box with 3 buttons, it may have been from a cad system or something. But the guy at DataDomain sold it to me for 30.

We don't hear of early joysticks much because they weren't manufactured in significant quantity.

On a side note. I got this thing called the Space Tablet, and it plugs into the port. And its got this swing arm you move around an object and it digitizes it. Think mini industrial robot with potentiometers at the joints rather than motors. All the magic is in the software. Incidentally it acts as a joystick and you can play games with it. Not that it's practical for gaming..

But the most "sleeper" and useful bit of hardware I got is this little circuit board. It brings the game i/o socket outside and makes it easy to use with ZIF. There have been times I went to WaReZ cOnFeReNcEs and wouldn't bother taking the Transwarp with, but instead this little guy.

post-4806-0-95322300-1493656479_thumb.jpg

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

The old standby TG Products project box model. It used an R/C airplane transmitter stick. And a no-name stick in a metal box with 3 buttons, it may have been from a cad system or something. But the guy at DataDomain sold it to me for 30.

:thumbsup: I didn't realize the TG stick was out so early! I thought it appeared around '81 or '82, maybe '80 at the earliest.