IGNORED

Help to get atarimuseum.nl software collection available to the community

Fred_M

Just a note to all.

Please be aware and make sure to have a double sided and single sided cleaning disk, preferably the wet dry type... at the end of transfer operations for the day... run the cleaning disk in the appropriate drive and make sure to remove the cleaning disk with the drive in the normal open door latch position to dry. This keeps the head clean of decaying disk material. It also prevents a wet or dirty head from doing mayhem. I never start with a cleaning but always end with one.

Further, if a disk fails in one drive it may work just fine in another more sensitive or aligned drive.

It sometimes happens you come across a disk that is bad, raunchy looking or just seems unworkable, there are those here and elsewhere that can process even such nastiness. Sometimes a success, sometimes a partial, or sometimes a wash. Never hurts to try.

Kryoflux, scp, and straight cracks from source fanatics here's a chance. Could be good to get involved.

@n dary and @geezer thanks for moving so quickly on the project. Everyone should give it a good once or twice over and make sure it's a complete deprotection... heading into summer it's so easy to be missed... as the scene gets serious attention during the colder closed in season, I am glad to see good people getting right down to business !!

Edited by _The Doctor__

First is Homeword, a word processor by Sierra from 1984. My disk is the Dutch release by Aackosoft, but you can tell only by the packaging. The disk is in English and by Sierra. I found Homeword only on the Holmes FTP site, but that ATR-file is also not working. All other well known sites don't offer this title.

Done this before; it is part of Farb's preservation torrent which is another fine reference for dumped stuff:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/234684-atari-8-bit-software-preservation-initiative/

Your version is identical but seems to be untouched because it does not have any saved text.

HomeWord v1.3 (1984)(Sierra On-Line)(US)(a).atr

HomeWord v1.3 (1984)(Sierra On-Line)(US)(a).atx.zip

Edited by DjayBee
  • Like 3

Thanks for the info DjayBee! So we can skip Homeword. So there is yet another source with images, you guys don't make this easy for me :-D :-D :-D

Is a complete list of Farb's preservation project available without having to register at the a8preservation website?

Edited by Fred_M

The preservation that is taking place with Farb does require original source disks, some of the 'already' done disks are reconstructions.... Your images can confirm already processed titles or can verify a fixed or reconstructed disk is correct, I still wish it would be notated what the finished image culminated from. A number of times we have have multiples of disks or games and only years later when going all the way to the end was it realized there were differences, errors, or other such problems. Some of us went crazy for years because The Tail of Beta Lyrae was done a zillion times... never cracked properly or reset. Turned out there were several versions, a revision for XL/XE and a need to reset counters on the disk! That was only accomplished recently by the way. I'd just keep at it. It certainly won't hurt!

Untouched with no saved text, now that's the way to preserve something!

The information about the Dutch packaging is interesting as it was unknown to me.... If scan or images of those were archived and any manual material is also different that is clearly of note as it would be good to do as well!

One request about the jpg links... the atarimuseum.nl stamp.... could it be made more transparent to read through...better yet- making it a watermark behind the text would be awesome and classy!

Farb had a spreadsheet at one time but I can't find a current one...

Edited by _The Doctor__

The preservation that is taking place with Farb does require original source disks, some of the 'already' done disks are reconstructions.... Your images can confirm already processed titles or can verify a fixed or reconstructed disk is correct, I still wish it would be notated what the finished image culminated from. A number of times we have have multiples of disks or games and only years later when going all the way to the end was it realized there were differences, errors, or other such problems. Some of us went crazy for years because The Tail of Beta Lyrae was done a zillion times... never cracked properly or reset. Turned out there were several versions, a revision for XL/XE and a need to reset counters on the disk! That was only accomplished recently by the way. I'd just keep at it. It certainly won't hurt!

Untouched with no saved text, now that's the way to preserve something!

The information about the Dutch packaging is interesting as it was unknown to me.... If scan or images of those were archived and any manual material is also different that is clearly of note as it would be good to do as well!

One request about the jpg links... the atarimuseum.nl stamp.... could it be made more transparent to read through...better yet- making it a watermark behind the text would be awesome and classy!

Farb had a spreadsheet at one time but I can't find a current one...

Hi Doctor,

All images I post are original media from my collection. As for Dutch packaging, I have some Aackosoft titles with Dutch packaging. Most of the manuals, including the Homeword manual, is a version in the Dutch language.

I am happy to share those documents, and ofcourse without watermarks. I just putted the watermarks on the covers and manuals in my database to make sure that no one copies these covers and manuals and say "Look what I have found". Maybe a bit paranoia from me, but I put in a lot of work scanning over a thousand covers. I just started with the manuals.

But, as I said earlier, I am happy to share the originals without any watermarks and even in a much higher resolution with the right people. I think Farbs project would be the right place ;-) And I already shared the high resolution PDF of Turbobase without watermarks with Djaybee for the Atariwiki.

Edited by Fred_M

Thanks for the list, it's not the spreadsheet though....

That list is good enough for me ;-)

I will post the unprotected images of the Digidrum/Digisynth disks (Farb has the cassette version) and Digidrum II in a few minutes.

Djaybee also asked me to make ATX or Pro images. Sadly I don't have the equipment for that. I am just using a XF551 with XF Speedy and the SIO2SD interface.

Are you sector copying to the sio2sd and then using the sd card to get in on your computer? If so I'd hold off until I could purchase a sio2pc device and APE/Prosystem from AtariMax and then you can definitely make atr,atx and pro images

Are you sector copying to the sio2sd and then using the sd card to get in on your computer? If so I'd hold off until I could purchase a sio2pc device and APE/Prosystem from AtariMax and then you can definitely make atr,atx and pro images

Yes, I have a SIO2PC cable but no computer anymore with a serial connector ;)

At the moment I don't have the funds to buy other Atari equipment. So, I am sorry this is what I can do.

Okay, I copied the next two titles which I could not find on the internet. These are Digidrum/Digisynth and Digidrum II. The first one is on Farbs list (and copied to some other sites), but this is the original disk version. Digidrum 2 I could not find anywhere.

Digidrum / Digisynth
Made by 2 Bit Systems for Atari 8-bit computers ©1986
Contents: DGDDSYN: Disk 1 side A: Main Programs
Digidrum II
Made by 2 Bit Systems but published by Gralin International for Atari 8-bit computers ©1991
Contents: DIGIDRM2: Disk 1 side A: Main Program

Cover: https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Digidrum_2_disk.jpg

Enjoy!

I am a bit sad. Next up were Team mate by Tro Micro and Key Account by Amazon Systems, but both disk are unreadable :(

Digidrum_digisynth_disk_unprotected.rar

Digidrum_II_unprotected.rar

• Like 3

Does that mean you have APE registered version? If the answer is yes...

can someone lend/donate him a prosystem cabable Sio2pcUSB device if you are close enough so shipping would be low are non-existent?

This would make his life a dream and so much better for all of us ;)

Now this shows some serious dedication!

Edited by _The Doctor__

Does that mean you have APE registered version? If the answer is yes...

Yes, that is serious dedication, true ;-) But I don't have a registered version. I used APE over more than 10 years ago. Last year I bought a SIO2SD, which I am very happy with. But to be honest, I am not trying to get people angry, what is wrong with an ATR? Especially when the disk is not protected? My purpose is to get these titles available to the community, and I think I uploaded several already which are not available anywhere ;)

Here is another protected one: Print Star by AMC Verlag. I know there is a version available in the ABBUC PD Library (disk 0293), but I compared the two and this one looks completely different. I could not find this software at the well known sites.

Print Star
Made by AMC Verlag for Atari 8-bit computers ©1988
Contents:
PRNTST1A: Disk 1 side A: Main Program (medium density, bad sectors, physical disk only starts when Speedy is turned off. This ATR stops at the loading screen. The original disk continues after you press a key)
PRNTST1B: Disk 1 side B: Data disk (unprotected)
The disk envelope of this software can be found in the cover database of atarimuseum.nl:https://atarimuseum.nl/wp-content/uploads/photo-gallery/Printstar_disk.jpg
This ATR is not working, so somebody can have a go at it (probably Nir again ;) )

Printstar_AMC_not_working.rar

Edited by Fred_M
  • Like 2

Another unprotected disk, so this is a working ATR file.

Courbois AD01
Made by Courbois Software for Atari 8-bit computers ©19XX date unknown.
Contents:
COURBAD1: Disk 1 side A: Super Tekst
Courbois Software was a small Dutch Software company in the early 80's. They published mainly low quality software for many systems on budget cassettes. I don't know how many disks they made, but this one is labeled AD01 (Atari Disk 01). This disk contains the Wordprocessor "Super Tekst", which was also published on Courbois cassette S01. It is probably an US/UK product. Only the title has been translated in Dutch. All menus are in English. To enter the menus you have to press CONTROL and a character (for example CONTROL M displays the disk menu). Sadly I could not find a help file.
I don't have the cover, there probably isn't one. This is a ATR-copy of the original disk.

Courbois_AD01_Super_Tekst_working.rar

Edited by Fred_M

Hi Fred,

one byte at 2894 (hex) to change to F7 (hex) and you set

Well,

in the AMC games "Herbert" and "Herbert II" they not only checked the copy-protection while booting, whenever a new level was loaded, the copy-protection was checked again. In Print Star, Print-Star II and Print Star II/24 they did a similar thing. They checked the copy protection before (or after?) the title picture. If you remove the check, you can go to the main menu...

But thats not it ! The program is not cracked yet ! You want to load a program from the menu ? Guess what, whenever you try to load a program from the menu, this program checks the copy-protection again ! So you have to remove these checks from several (sub-) programs, otherwise they will not work. Yesterday I downloaded the ATR image of Print Star II/24 again, only to find out, that it does not work. I can go to the menu, but from the menu only two programs do load fine, all other programs check for the copy-protection at sector 1039 ($40F ?) and since it is not there anymore they do not work...

Attached are therefore Print Star, Print Star II and Print Star II/24. (Print Star II/24 is essentially the same as Print Star II, they only added some programs for 24-needle printers, thus it would have been enough to buy Print Star and Print Star II/24...)

Print_Star_(non-working_copies).zip

I am not even able to select anything from Print Star's menu.

Hmmm, how do you do that?

I can only press ENTER. The disk is accessed an the message "Disk einlegen" appears.

FInd attached a version with three protection checks removed.

Btw.: Is it correct that the disk checks for a duplicate sector?

PRNTST1A-cracked.ATR