IGNORED

Mr. Do?

thegamezmaster

And where did that come from? ;)

I imagine it's because this thread appears to be a teaser. So many games have been transferred from the A8 to the 5200. I am not sure why this was hyped and now dead.

I imagine there COULD be an issue with the memory size. If I recall, it may require 48k to run. I don't know if anybody makes 5200 carts with RAM on board.

If that is the case, an update would be nice, even if to say it's not possible. Otherwise, can somebody please just convert this?

Not much of a fan of cartridges here. I like that they are made, but I would rather just use my AtariMax.

I'm not opposed to paying for a ROM image. Of course, I know that opens Pandora's box, but it's not like this is a homebrew.

• Like 2

More importantly, if an actual release of 5200 Mr. Do! is in the works, then why would the rom be released ahead of the sale? I know it happens sometimes, but even AA has to make it worth their while to actually make and produce these things.

• Like 1

As I understand things, the 5200 Flash does not support a 64K ROM image whereas the 5200 Ultimate SD does.

I think I heard it had limitations too. That's ONE of the reasons I purchased the Ultimate SD.

I was hoping to not have to go back and forth to the shelf every time I want to look at a different game.

It's even worse when I sometimes want to compare different system versions.

More importantly, if an actual release of 5200 Mr. Do! is in the works, then why would the rom be released ahead of the sale? I know it happens sometimes, but even AA has to make it worth their while to actually make and produce these things.

I don't think I would ever really be interested in a cartridge, unless I found one for $5 at a trade show. I would rather donate money to somebody for a ROM image, for their time. That is why I bought a flash cart. It is also why I may never be able to enjoy the finished version of Tempest. I understand that completing prototypes or converting formats take time. That's why I wouldn't be opposed to donating money for one's time. I do not know how much profit is to be made in carts, but it's extra cost and clutter for me personally.

Kind of a bummer, but carts just don't work well for my situation. I am HOPING I get to see 5200 Tempest or Mr. Do SOMEDAY!

I have paid for ROM images before. They were mainly home brew, as opposed to hacks. It's funny, I paid for Donkey Kong II long before it was released publicly, and now I own the arcade mod. lol. I also paid for a few Intellivision homebrews. Even though I am not a fan of the Intellivision, I was really impressed with DK Arcade, Dk II, and Ms Pac-Man, enough to pay for the experience.

In a case like this, I would be appreciative of the time somebody spent to do something I cannot do (translate from A8 to 5200).

I understand releasing a ROM image, made to be sold, opens up the possibility of the image getting distributed. That is a tough call there, BUT

as far as cartridges, I think people buy cartridges because they want the PHYSICAL experience of holding a cartridge. It's part of many's nostalgia on here for some, and I do not think releasing the ROM would hurt that.

The people who want carts are still going to want carts. For me, the hardware is an expense I don't care to pay for, and they are inconvenient to have to constantly switch back and forth.

I openly posted the hacks of Donkey Kong Arcade, DK Jr Arcade & Enhanced, and Popeye Arcade.

People still said they wanted cart versions, so I kind of think carts are a draw regardless of ROM availability.

Regardless, I hope this is still coming down the pike. My understanding is that most release the ROMs after a decent cart run. I hope so for this AND Tempest!

As I understand things, the 5200 Flash does not support a 64K ROM image whereas the 5200 Ultimate SD does.

I think I heard it had limitations too. That's ONE of the reasons I purchased the Ultimate SD.

I was hoping to not have to go back and forth to the shelf every time I want to look at a different game.

It's even worse when I sometimes want to compare different system versions.

I don't think I would ever really be interested in a cartridge, unless I found one for $5 at a trade show. I would rather donate money to somebody for a ROM image, for their time. That is why I bought a flash cart. It is also why I may never be able to enjoy the finished version of Tempest. I understand that completing prototypes or converting formats take time. That's why I wouldn't be opposed to donating money for one's time. I do not know how much profit is to be made in carts, but it's extra cost and clutter for me personally.

Kind of a bummer, but carts just don't work well for my situation. I am HOPING I get to see 5200 Tempest or Mr. Do SOMEDAY!

I have paid for ROM images before. They were mainly home brew, as opposed to hacks. It's funny, I paid for Donkey Kong II long before it was released publicly, and now I own the arcade mod. lol. I also paid for a few Intellivision homebrews. Even though I am not a fan of the Intellivision, I was really impressed with DK Arcade, Dk II, and Ms Pac-Man, enough to pay for the experience.

In a case like this, I would be appreciative of the time somebody spent to do something I cannot do (translate from A8 to 5200).

I understand releasing a ROM image, made to be sold, opens up the possibility of the image getting distributed. That is a tough call there, BUT

as far as cartridges, I think people buy cartridges because they want the PHYSICAL experience of holding a cartridge. It's part of many's nostalgia on here for some, and I do not think releasing the ROM would hurt that.

The people who want carts are still going to want carts. For me, the hardware is an expense I don't care to pay for, and they are inconvenient to have to constantly switch back and forth.

I openly posted the hacks of Donkey Kong Arcade, DK Jr Arcade & Enhanced, and Popeye Arcade.

People still said they wanted cart versions, so I kind of think carts are a draw regardless of ROM availability.

Regardless, I hope this is still coming down the pike. My understanding is that most release the ROMs after a decent cart run. I hope so for this AND Tempest!

• Like 1

Are you forgetting that having the Rom out there also opens up for others to make their own carts and sell them for profit? It is because of that very thing that Jaguar ST ports aren't being released as normal roms currently. I can see both sides to this as well, but I personally prefer having the carts in hand. I also own the Ultimate SD and it wonderful to have. But at the same time, since I have to power cycle the 5200 anyway to change games and my 5200 carts are within reach, it isn't a big deal to just grab the cart I want and pop it in either.

I mainly use the Ultimate SD for testing WIP homebrews, prototypes, and conversions that haven't been put to cart. I use it as a try before I buy device.

• Like 1

Are you forgetting that having the Rom out there also opens up for others to make their own carts and sell them for profit? It is because of that very thing that Jaguar ST ports aren't being released as normal roms currently. I can see both sides to this as well, but I personally prefer having the carts in hand. I also own the Ultimate SD and it wonderful to have. But at the same time, since I have to power cycle the 5200 anyway to change games and my 5200 carts are within reach, it isn't a big deal to just grab the cart I want and pop it in either.

I mainly use the Ultimate SD for testing WIP homebrews, prototypes, and conversions that haven't been put to cart. I use it as a try before I buy device.

True. It sucks that it has to be an issue. There is no way for a ROM image to discern good guys from bad.

If there is a profit to be made, I would rather see it go to AA.

I get what you're saying about not a big deal to switch out cartridges. I wasn't going into my reasoning for feeling the opposite, because that is truly a First-World Problem. lol.

I do like to just run comparisons much of the time, like getting a quick dose of nostalgia. I hate to have to get up from the floor to go to the shelf, grabbing a pile of carts for 4 or 5 different systems.

I'd like to see this put on a cart for the 8-bit computers. I know it was probably released on a disk originally but we all know carts are where it's at.

Speak for yourself, Mr. fancy-disk-drive man!

post-13491-0-68067500-1495046869.jpg

Actually, I came across that while trying to find the original box. I saw some talk of 64K on here.

I thought it was 48K, so it would at least run on an 800!

I guess 400 and 600XL owners could not run this unexpanded. A cart version would have though, I suspect!

EDIT: I Found it. It was 48K

post-13491-0-12114200-1495047072_thumb.jpg

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 1

I hate to have to get up from the floor to go to the shelf, grabbing a pile of carts for 4 or 5 different systems.

Are you saying you don't have to get up off the floor to power cycle the 5200 to change games on the Ultimate SD? Cause I would love for there to be a key combo reset for it, but that isn't going to happen.

Speaking of resets, I believe I saw somewhere that a Reset spot exists on the silkscreen of the ultimate SD? Is it just a matter of soldering a switch that will fit onto the cart to get a way to reset the system without having to turn the power on and off all the time? Cause that would be awesome. Still have to get off the floor/couch/chair/crapper...etc. But at least you aren't putting additional wear and tear on the 5200 power switch and flip/flop IC.

Ok I'd like to find the cassette version then. :)

It would be a cool collector's item. I wonder how long cassette tapes last. I have some 3.5" disk drives that aren't aging well, on some of my older music equipment.

I would guess new cassette tapes would be easy to dub.

Are you saying you don't have to get up off the floor to power cycle the 5200 to change games on the Ultimate SD? Cause I would love for there to be a key combo reset for it, but that isn't going to happen.

Speaking of resets, I believe I saw somewhere that a Reset spot exists on the silkscreen of the ultimate SD? Is it just a matter of soldering a switch that will fit onto the cart to get a way to reset the system without having to turn the power on and off all the time? Cause that would be awesome. Still have to get off the floor/couch/chair/crapper...etc. But at least you aren't putting additional wear and tear on the 5200 power switch and flip/flop IC.

I am actually right down by the console, on one of those "gamers" chairs. If I lean forward, I am on my knees. lol. I thought it was cool back in the day. It's not as cool now, when it comes time to get up.

I suppose a wired switch, coming from the cart, could be a remote reset. Put a plug port on top, instead of having the wire hard-wired. That way it still looks professional, and the long remote wire button can be unplugged.

I don't really have room for a full-sized chair. Space is limited in the room. It is my arcade/home games room. It's my get-away cave, but it's short on space now.

My Home stuff is set up here. I don't have room for that desk chair anymore, because I put a multicade pedestal to the right of the home games (previously it sat on a desk). The PC in the multicade doubles as a host pc for my SIO2SD and to load my A8 Multicart. Notice the small shelf, crammed with my carts (left corner). It has everything, except for my A8 carts, which are on the shelf above the home system TV.

post-13491-0-13010100-1495064355_thumb.png

The cartridge shelf, to the right of home games, but left of this picture.(Shown with new pedestal)

post-13491-0-48285700-1495064382_thumb.png

Here's the home side with the lighting set. This has the old tabletop multicade.

post-13491-0-11902400-1495065029_thumb.png

The arcade is directly behind the home games. Notice the gamers' chair. I do have to kind of roll forward to cycle the power

post-13491-0-90910700-1495064395_thumb.png

I have to lean forward to change EPROMS..

post-13491-0-45156100-1495065455.png

• Like 4

The appeal of Mr. Do 5200 goes back to my childhood days. Sure I can play Donkey Kong and Mr. Do on the A8, right next to the 5200. However, there's something more satisfying about plugging in one of these great conversions into the 5200 and comparing it to the ColecoVision counterpart. Those multi-colored enemies, more enemies, more details, better game play, smoother animation, accurate music. It just shows why the 5200 was taking the lead before Atari pulled the plug on the 5200!

I don't have the spare money to purchase my choice of original coin-ops - ones such as - Defender, Galaga, Zaxxon, Scramble, etc etc - but the alternative would be a Mame setup - which I think would be indistinguishable - as far as end result goes. I can't tell the difference between 100% emulation and the original.

An Atari corner could be set up - if you use one of those switchboxes which would allow you to swap different inputs - then you have the problem of having the different controllers hanging out, looking a bit untidy. Hopefully someone will get around to providing a wireless dongle that can plug into the older systems into the single controller? No doubt this is not a simple project - but it would be a very desirable purchase for the hoards of retrogamers out there.

You seem to be lacking some posters up here and there - but I'll guess it's more due to lack of wall space? than oversight...

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 1

I don't have the spare money to purchase my choice of original coin-ops - ones such as - Defender, Galaga, Zaxxon, Scramble, etc etc - but the alternative would be a Mame setup - which I think would be indistinguishable - as far as end result goes. I can't tell the difference between 100% emulation and the original.

An Atari corner could be set up - if you use one of those switchboxes which would allow you to swap different inputs - then you have the problem of having the different controllers hanging out, looking a bit untidy. Hopefully someone will get around to providing a wireless dongle that can plug into the older systems into the single controller? No doubt this is not a simple project - but it would be a very desirable purchase for the hoards of retrogamers out there.

You seem to be lacking some posters up here and there - but I'll guess it's more due to lack of wall space? than oversight...

Harvey

I understand. Good choice. I really think MAME is pretty good, especially the PC. I do have a multicade set up with MAME. I do not care for 60-in-1 and Raspberry Pi as much, because the emulation is more thorough and accurate on the latest PC versions. The PC version can also emulate scan lines pretty good on an LCD, include bezel art, and usually has more emulated sound vs samples.

I actually have 3 switchboxes to switch between my A/V based systems. In fact, after sharing this mess of a home system picture, I decided it was finally time to reorganize the home side. There seems to be enough room now that the controllers aren't as sloppy. I also tied the cables in the back to keep from having another spaghetti mess. A lot of the job was untangling the old wires!

I do have a couple flyers, maruqees, and such hanging, but I am limited on space. I have an old Playboy ad for Atari hanging. I would like to frame my first AtariAge. It was the newspaper version, before they became a magazine!

(I even have the membership card. lol)

I also have the Raiders of the Lost Ark solution guide. That was on the shelf before. It would be a nice piece to hang.

Old

post-13491-0-83599900-1495474424_thumb.jpg

New

post-13491-0-75511800-1495474449_thumb.jpg

It would be nice to see someone do a new poster as such - whether it be 8-bit Atari Computers or 5200 - that celebrate the exceptional titles which show off what the hardware can do.

I think Atariboy2600 has the talent to do one? That cover so-called classics - and one celebrating new classics?

http://atariboy2600.deviantart.com/

http://atariboy2600.deviantart.com/art/My-New-Atariboy-ID-12209827

http://atariboy2600.deviantart.com/art/Zaxxon-for-Atari-5200-Label-Art-561595702

I haven't seen all his cart labels - but I thought they were exceptionally good. Have to look at them again to refresh my memory.

Harvey

• Like 1

Often thought it would be nice to move out west. Disappointed that basements are not common.

That is because of our largely clay based soil here. Basements do exist in much older houses closer to the downtown area, but they always have leak issues even though closer to downtown there is more upper level bedrock to stabilize things. But cracking foundations are a constant here with both old and new houses alike. In fact many new homes will start to show cracks on the walls and such after only 2 years of construction. And yes, they still use PVC and bury it in the slab foundation they know will crack anyway. Cheap...quick, and keeps plumbers in business I guess. Getting your air ducts lined is big business here as well since those too are buried within the foundation and getting them sealed up will prevent water seepage into the ducts.

As a result, basements would always have water leaking issues with our crazy soil and you would have to install an automated pump system plus constant repair to the concrete from cracking. As a result it is more common to find houses with developed attic space. Even then, it is rare that a two car garage in this part of the country will actually have room for two actual cars and in many cases you can't put any cars in the garage since it becomes the storage that most people would use a basement for.

Edited by -^Cro§Bow^-

If you don't mind me asking... how much does a beauty like that go for?

Cabinet was an old empty Mortal Kombat cabinet that had seen better days. I cleaned it up and repaired some rough spots that had water damage. Also added new T-molding, paint, control panel, monitor, controls, computer, working coin door, etc. Probably cost me well over $1000 to finish the project. Hardest part was not playing it before it was finished.

Edited by ToddUGA
  • Like 2