IGNORED

Lynx Multi Card Preorders

SainT

I'm late to say so, but mine arrived seemingly† in good shape, thanks! I also have the Lynxman cart, so I guess I'm making a habit of this.

† I'm presently Lynxless. I may not have planned ahead very well on this one.

LOL, I'm in the same boat. Mine arrived in great shape. I had to buy them while I could, who knows when or if the production would stop and these become like the Holy Grail.

Edited by compmike19

On 5/12/2017 at 2:21 PM, compmike19 said:

LOL, I'm in the same boat. Mine arrived in great shape. I had to buy them while I could, who knows when or if the production would stop and these become like the Holy Grail.

I really do intend to keep these coming! :)

Shortly there will be the NeoGeo Pocket FLASH cart as well, just starting production, so only a few weeks. :)

Edited by SainT
  • Like 5

I really do intend to keep these coming! :)

Shortly there will be the NeoGeo Pocket FLASH SD as well, just starting production, so only a few weeks. :)

Up for this - do you have anymore information about it. This and backlighting are the only things that the pocket needed.

You'd need a pre-sized file included with the ROM. Ideally people would standardise on where to put these... possibly a "saves" directory in the root of the SD which you can add the pre-sized file to (flappy.hi in this example).

This way the ROM then can just write to "saves/flappy.hi" and all will be well. :)

I tried to read high score from a file on the SD card but for some reason it just freezes and never returns. (or crashes - who knows)

The music that I started before accessing the SD card plays.

I did generate a 2 byte file at /saves/flappy.hi on the SD card.

unsigned lynx_SDread(unsigned addr)
{
    unsigned ret = 0;
    LynxSD_Init();
    if (LynxSD_OpenFile("/saves/flappy.hi") == FR_OK) {
        LynxSD_ReadFile(&ret, 2);
        LynxSD_CloseFile();
    }
    return ret;
}

I tried to read high score from a file on the SD card but for some reason it just freezes and never returns. (or crashes - who knows)

The music that I started before accessing the SD card plays.

I did generate a 2 byte file at /saves/flappy.hi on the SD card.

unsigned lynx_SDread(unsigned addr)
{
    unsigned ret = 0;
    LynxSD_Init();
    if (LynxSD_OpenFile("/saves/flappy.hi") == FR_OK) {
        LynxSD_ReadFile(&ret, 2);
        LynxSD_CloseFile();
    }
    return ret;
}

Hi SainT,

Using LynxSD from a game directly seems to disable access to the programmed ROM on the SD cart. Is there some commands I need to give to restore access to the ROM for the game? Or do I have to run the programming sequence after reading/writing the high score?

On 5/18/2017 at 7:15 AM, karri said:

** The music that I started before accessing the SD card plays.

Hi SainT,

Using LynxSD from a game directly seems to disable access to the programmed ROM on the SD cart. Is there some commands I need to give to restore access to the ROM for the game? Or do I have to run the programming sequence after reading/writing the high score?

Ok, just had a look, and once the Lynx issues the LynxSD_LowPowerMode() command in the menu, it shuts down the cart and enters a low power state. We'll need to use an unused bit in the LNX header or different extension or something to differentiate ROM's which use the features of the memory card and not call this function. I'll have a look at implementing this. :thumbsup:

Not sure how any other ROM's would be able to access the memory card with regard to the music playing? Was this modifying the menu?

Edited by SainT

Makes sense.

Sage created some extra structures for telling what kind of eeprom the cart is using.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247442-further-emulator-development/?p=3442241

What if we use the bit eeprom[6] in the header for telling that we emulate the eeprom on the SD cart?

typedef struct
{
  UBYTE   magic[4];
  UWORD   page_size_bank0;
  UWORD   page_size_bank1;
  UWORD   version;
  UBYTE   cartname[32];
  UBYTE   manufname[16];
  UBYTE   rotation;
  UBYTE   aud_bits;
  UBYTE eeprom;
  UBYTE   spare[3];
}LYNX_HEADER_NEW;

For Flappy bird the eeprom byte would be

eeprom [2:0] -
0 - no eeprom
1 - 93c46 16 bit mode (used in Ttris, SIMIS, Alpine Games, ..., MegaPak I at least)
2        56
3 - 93c66 16 bit mode
4        76
5 - 93c86 16 bit mode
(remark: size in bits is 2^(value+9) -- (please recheck!)
eeprom [3-5] - reserved - keep it to 0 for further usage
eeprom [6] - 0 - real eeprom, 1 - eeprom as a file in /saves/flappy.hi on SD cart
eeprom [7] - 0 - 16 bit mode, 1 - 8 bit mode

What is the right path to open /saves/flappy.hi ?

LynxSD_OpenFile("/saves/flappy.hi")

or something else?

PS. What I meant with music playing is that the music was loaded from the cart at startup. The main code froze when it was trying to load game data but the interrupts continued to work ok and the music played normally.

Edited by karri

Check out the first post in the following thread. http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261206-NeoGeo-Pocket-Colour-SD-Cartridge

Krip316 - thanks a million. I'm looking forward to this. As a very happy owner of the Lynx cart by SainT, I have great confidence in his carts. Dude lives up to his name!!! ;) He just needs to make an Atari 2600 and 7800 cart, then I may allow him some sleep!!

Edited by tdp
  • Like 1

Makes sense.

Sage created some extra structures for telling what kind of eeprom the cart is using.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/247442-further-emulator-development/?p=3442241

What if we use the bit eeprom[6] in the header for telling that we emulate the eeprom on the SD cart?

typedef struct
{
  UBYTE   magic[4];
  UWORD   page_size_bank0;
  UWORD   page_size_bank1;
  UWORD   version;
  UBYTE   cartname[32];
  UBYTE   manufname[16];
  UBYTE   rotation;
  UBYTE   aud_bits;
  UBYTE eeprom;
  UBYTE   spare[3];
}LYNX_HEADER_NEW;

For Flappy bird the eeprom byte would be

eeprom [2:0] -
0 - no eeprom
1 - 93c46 16 bit mode (used in Ttris, SIMIS, Alpine Games, ..., MegaPak I at least)
2        56
3 - 93c66 16 bit mode
4        76
5 - 93c86 16 bit mode
(remark: size in bits is 2^(value+9) -- (please recheck!)
eeprom [3-5] - reserved - keep it to 0 for further usage
eeprom [6] - 0 - real eeprom, 1 - eeprom as a file in /saves/flappy.hi on SD cart
eeprom [7] - 0 - 16 bit mode, 1 - 8 bit mode

What is the right path to open /saves/flappy.hi ?

LynxSD_OpenFile("/saves/flappy.hi")

or something else?

PS. What I meant with music playing is that the music was loaded from the cart at startup. The main code froze when it was trying to load game data but the interrupts continued to work ok and the music played normally.

That EEPROM flag sounds spot on, I'll use that.

The directory should work fine, as should LynxSD_OpenFile("saves/flappy.hi") without the leading forward slash just as long as it exists. :)

Hi SainT,

could you please try out this one?

It has a binary

flappy.lnx - with SD card as highscore saves

saves/flappy.hi - Space for one int for the high score

Edit: the header has the eeprom [6] bit on

This will then freeze on a normal Lynx and on an emulator because it needs an active microcontroller to talk to. So don't bother to run it yet.

flappySD.zip

Edited by karri

Hi SainT,

could you please try out this one?

It has a binary

flappy.lnx - with SD card as highscore saves

saves/flappy.hi - Space for one int for the high score

Edit: the header has the eeprom [6] bit on

This will then freeze on a normal Lynx and on an emulator because it needs an active microcontroller to talk to. So don't bother to run it yet.

Excellent, thanks! I'll see if I can get this working in the next couple of days. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hello folks !

As a child dream I bought my atari lynx I some years ago and start collecting some cartridges ... Some games I have are still in their original case, some games are hard / expensive to find (eg. desert stike), and their also exist DIY games I would like to try ...

That's why I would ask SainT: would it be possible to have a flash cart you've made ? or is too late for this ?

• Like 1

Look about 12 posts back and you'll have your answer. Should be good.

I read post pages from 45 to 52 and did not found what you think about :/

I already saw that there were a (huge) wait list on which I would like to be added :) I am patient: I'm 38, my Lynx and my VW campervan are 27 so I can wait the time required to make a good product such as this one :)

I own a 3D printer, so I don't need a case.

To be honest I did not plan to contribute in developing games (so I will understand that you give priority to active members). Not because I don't want to, but my planning is already full: 2 young children, dozen of arduino's projects (1)(2), restoring my camper, brewing my beer (3), 3D printing (I design and print parts for the "repair club" of my town), some home automation (python/modbus/ESP8266/raspberry pi), growing my hop (4), and also a wife :)

(1) A compatible digital clock I have made to replace the faulty 30 years old original one of my camper:

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/113

(2) The automated brewing machine I've made (arduino, bluetooth, linux compliant ;)

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/214

(3) My brewing recipes (french):

http://www.chapelle-de-sussargues.fr

(4) My hops (cascade, hallertau)

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/205

Hope you will consider this post as a presentation of myself :)

• Like 1

I read post pages from 45 to 52 and did not found what you think about :/

I already saw that there were a (huge) wait list on which I would like to be added :) I am patient: I'm 38, my Lynx and my VW campervan are 27 so I can wait the time required to make a good product such as this one :)

I own a 3D printer, so I don't need a case.

To be honest I did not plan to contribute in developing games (so I will understand that you give priority to active members). Not because I don't want to, but my planning is already full: 2 young children, dozen of arduino's projects (1)(2), restoring my camper, brewing my beer (3), 3D printing (I design and print parts for the "repair club" of my town), some home automation (python/modbus/ESP8266/raspberry pi), growing my hop (4), and also a wife :)

(1) A compatible digital clock I have made to replace the faulty 30 years old original one of my camper:

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/113

(2) The automated brewing machine I've made (arduino, bluetooth, linux compliant ;)

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/214

(3) My brewing recipes (french):

http://www.chapelle-de-sussargues.fr

(4) My hops (cascade, hallertau)

http://teranova.dyndns.org/piwigo/index.php?/category/205

Hope you will consider this post as a presentation of myself :)

I think this was the post in question :)

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/250637-lynx-multi-card-preorders/page-56?do=findComment&comment=3758800

Yep, will add you to the list, no problem. There are actually only 30-odd left at the end of the list, so I should get to you next week. I've been busy sorting out the NeoGeo Pocket cart and testing hardware for it, so I've not shipped any carts in a couple of weeks. I'll get back to it and clear the rest next week.

You dont need to print your own case, it comes with one. :)