IGNORED

Ys - Last Moment Of The Dark (Atari PoKEY Cover) [PCECD Style]

Fragmare

Seems, while NES/SNES tunes can find their way to POKEY, here we have a problematic candidate. It's just that you have to listen to the original tune, to understand what the composer intended. POKEY's 8 bit resolution sometimes kills everything.

Yea, I wasn't going for 1:1 with the PC-Engine CD audio... i know I can never come close to the sound of redbook CD audio with a PoKEY, but I think I can get it to sound better than the Famicom or Master System version of the same track. :D Honestly, I think the PoKEY is better equipped to deal with Ys music than either the NES or SMS... it's just more flexible, plus the ability to do PSG percussion helps a lot!

Yea, I wasn't going for 1:1 with the PC-Engine CD audio... i know I can never come close to the sound of redbook CD audio with a PoKEY, but I think I can get it to sound better than the Famicom or Master System version of the same track. :D Honestly, I think the PoKEY is better equipped to deal with Ys music than either the NES or SMS... it's just more flexible, plus the ability to do PSG percussion helps a lot!

I see where you are going - anything but the PCE CD soundtrack for Y's just sounds wrong IMHO - the SMS version is horrid...

sTeVE

I see where you are going - anything but the PCE CD soundtrack for Y's just sounds wrong IMHO - the SMS version is horrid...

sTeVE

Yea! The PCE CD version is the version i, personally, grew up with and has a certain nostalgia with me. The original PC-98 soundtrack is great too, but something went astray with the Famicom and Master System soundtracks... and after sequencing this track, I can see why. They did the best they could, but... The Master System chip is too rigid and inflexible so everything ends up sounding flat and shrill, plus the only percussion you get is noise. On the Famicom version, the DCM channel is untouched... maybe they weren't permitted to use samples in this game for size constraints. Either way, on the 2a03, you cannot switch between noise and notes on the same channel so psg percussion is limited... they basically had to make do with 2 pulse wave channels, a triangle channel and a noise channel. In both cases, I'd say the PoKEY is better suited for a song like this... especially if you're wanting to throw in something like timpanis. That's not even taking into account all the crazy 2-channel generator stuff you can do... still haven't really messed with that enough.

Edited by Fragmare

Sorry for my English, but let me say (write) something.

Analmux has done great things for Atari community (not only he, around this music stuff, but..): f.e. he released patched-8 RMT version (very important tool for musicians, can I only image, and not so popular so far, I think, as maybe it should or, at least, could be). Doing nothing within the module (of course), I just simply have exported it through this special RMT version to sap file, and now I'm attaching it to comparison. I don't know that for sure, but I'm just wondering (by accidentally checking it) if some frequences are maybe not in the 'better places', after that? It's just my guessing, but, from other side, it could either shifting (unexpected and unwelcome) 'color' of the music (general feeling of it), so it's always gonna to be questionable. And this is all what I 'care' to share with (not to convince to anything, as maybe it seems so too much, as I wanted.)

Thanks.

Ys - Last Moment of the Dark01c_sap.zip

Sorry for my English, but let me say (write) something.
Analmux has done great things for Atari community (not only he, around this music stuff, but..): f.e. he released patched-8 RMT version (very important tool for musicians, can I only image, and not so popular so far, I think, as maybe it should or, at least, could be). Doing nothing within the module (of course), I just simply have exported it through this special RMT version to sap file, and now I'm attaching it to comparison. I don't know that for sure, but I'm just wondering (by accidentally checking it) if some frequences are maybe not in the 'better places', after that? It's just my guessing, but, from other side, it could either shifting (unexpected and unwelcome) 'color' of the music (general feeling of it), so it's always gonna to be questionable. And this is all what I 'care' to share with (not to convince to anything, as maybe it seems so too much, as I wanted.)
Thanks.

Awesome! Yes, somebody pointed out a couple spots where I had the pitch adjustment wrong. I literally could not hear it, but I checked it against the source material and, sure enough, it was there. So... one last upload.

https://youtu.be/eFTaolTAALw

Ys - Last Moment of the Dark01d.zip

Ys - Last Moment of the Dark01d.xex

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...