IGNORED

New Hardware: Atari 400/800 Super Color CPU Card

tf_hh

Hello Jurgen

I have now also finally come to convert my Atari 400 on the SUPERCOLOR CPU.
post-56845-0-93000700-1495232814_thumb.jpg
post-56845-0-48994000-1495232829_thumb.jpg
Since the computer was once open, I also directly integrated the 48K ATARI CO61553 extension.
post-56845-0-23733100-1495232840_thumb.jpg
post-56845-0-56297300-1495232803_thumb.jpg
post-56845-0-29883600-1495232855_thumb.jpg
The video image is very good, could perhaps have some more color, but nothing has changed at the SPUU (I use NTSC)
post-56845-0-52818700-1495232784_thumb.jpg post-56845-0-36502000-1495232792_thumb.jpg
And my 48K extension works now synonymous
Many Thanks
Mikel
  • Like 4

Since the computer was once open, I also directly integrated the 48K ATARI CO61553 extension.The video image is very good, could perhaps have some more color, but nothing has changed at the SPUU (I use NTSC)

Although I set up the color pot for NTSC users before shipping out the PCBs, every user should optimize the setting using his own devices. The color pot circuit is dependent on the 12V rail. Because Atari uses different manufacturers of the 7812 voltage regulator, different manufacturers of the caps and so on, the effective output voltage varies a little bit from system to system.

To get best results, please set up the color pot together with the most used television or monitors you want to use with the computer and the SCCC.

Jurgen

• Like 4

Although I set up the color pot for NTSC users before shipping out the PCBs, every user should optimize the setting using his own devices. The color pot circuit is dependent on the 12V rail. Because Atari uses different manufacturers of the 7812 voltage regulator, different manufacturers of the caps and so on, the effective output voltage varies a little bit from system to system.

I'd also like to add that no one setting is correct for all GTIAs. If you've ever replaced a GTIA without touching the pot and seen all the colors change, you know what I mean. :)

• Like 3

I'd also like to add that no one setting is correct for all GTIAs. If you've ever replaced a GTIA without touching the pot and seen all the colors change, you know what I mean. :)

Yes, agree. Using NTSC the change of the color display is impressive.... when testing with four different GTIA (NTSC) I have the same setting of the color pot, but the screen varies from blue (correct) background to purple... :-o

Using PAL there are also differences, but much less than using NTSC.

Of course in the manual this behavior is mentioned :)

Jurgen,

I got mine as well. They look great!!!!

One is going into my first computer, the Atari 400. I'm excited because I found it about 5 years ago but didn't have an old TV to get it up an running.

My father, who passed away, bought this this when I was a kid. So, it's a special machine to me. With this card I'll be able to bring it back to life!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

good news... today I finished the assembly of the last batch - all orders not shipped out until now will be posted on Monday, the 12.th. As usual I will inform all purchasers by email seperately with tracking number and so on.

I have some pieces left. If somebody is interested, please drop a PN or email, will respond soon with payment details.

Thanks for all purchasers to make this project happen!

Jurgen

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like another "Gold" PCB, if still available?

Actually all populated boards are sold, but I have some PCBs left and will assemble then within the next 2-3 weeks. So you can get one from those, if you want. PN sent.

• 2 months later...

Hi

I just received the super video card and installed it. It is an NTSC 400 model, so this is actually the first time I can try if the atari 400 is working!!!

I have a problem , the screen turns on , but it is black and white only, no color, also turning the trim pot does not fix the color issue.

Next to that I have some keys on the keyboard that do not work. Q and start button.

I think these problems exisid already before and have nothing to do with the card. does anybody knows how to solve this?

thanks for the great work on this!!

• Like 1

I just received the super video card and installed it. It is an NTSC 400 model, so this is actually the first time I can try if the atari 400 is working!!!

I have a problem , the screen turns on , but it is black and white only, no color, also turning the trim pot does not fix the color issue.

You should first check if all installed parts are really NTSC ones. I saw some strange systems bought by people at eBay and sending them to me for repair. Sometimes such systems looks like trashbins, a lot of parts not working well together was installed. For example... if somebody install a NTSC CPU card on a PAL mainboard, you get a picture - but no color.

So check the components. On the mainboard there´s a big crystal at the opposite side where the power-board is. It´s marked with CO10177 or CO61090. This is the crystal running at 3.5794 MHz, which is right for NTSC. If the crystal´s marking is CO12285 or CO16112, then it runs at 3.5468 MHz, which is right for PAL. When the system crystal doesn´t fit to the chips installed, the color carrier frequency doesn´t meet the specs and you get a b/w picture.

Next is to check the ANTIC and DMA chips. Look into the SCCC manual, all markings are displayed there. Check, if both chips are NTSC ones.

The color pot is the bigger, black one. Not the small blue one at the top of the SCCC PCB :)

At last... make sure that your european TV or monitor is really capatable of displaying NTSC well. Some TV need special settings in the OSD or accept NTSC only using CVBS, not S-Video and more strange things...

• Like 1

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thansk Jurgen, it is working, just had to atach it to another tv and choose the right scart port. What a picture!!! tomorrow I am going to try it wth sio2PC, boulderdash shamus, schreckenstein here we comee. I forget 7cties of gold .

thansk for this great solution and support

• Like 1

Got this installed in my 800 tonight. Beautiful video signal. I did some internal mods to the machine so that I could use the existing monitor jack. Screwed up the wiring layout and couldn't get the internal cage re-installed. Almost gouged a groove in the cage. Couldn't bring myself to molest the machine that way, so I spliced in extensions to the 5-piece cable. Pics below:

post-650-0-72408000-1504571782_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-13486600-1504571784_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-68587600-1504571785_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-94325600-1504571786_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-29620600-1504571788_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-07313000-1504571790_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-70429500-1504571791_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-15348100-1504571793_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-59744900-1504571794_thumb.jpg

post-650-0-04027800-1504571796_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-51058400-1504571797_thumb.jpgpost-650-0-91393000-1504571798_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

looks great!

Can you show more pic of how you connected to the existing monitor jack? Wouldn't you get a combined signal without disconnecting the original circuit?

Also can you show a pic with the RF cage installed, but without the power board attached to see how the wires come out from under?

looks great!

Can you show more pic of how you connected to the existing monitor jack? Wouldn't you get a combined signal without disconnecting the original circuit?

Also can you show a pic with the RF cage installed, but without the power board attached to see how the wires come out from under?

Sorry - I have everything re-assembled. I'll see if I can get some better images this evening.

The original circuit is completely disconnected, as I have cut the 4 pins from the main PCB to the power supply PCB which has the monitor jack.

Sorry - I have everything re-assembled. I'll see if I can get some better images this evening.

The original circuit is completely disconnected, as I have cut the 4 pins from the main PCB to the power supply PCB which has the monitor jack.

Another idea is to lift the last part (coil or resistor) in the trace path for Chroma, Luma and Composite video and solder the wires fromt the SCCC into. This way you didn´t need to bend the contacts to the power PCB.

Just remove the pin showing to the power PCB connector, so that the coil/resistor is only connected with one pin. The now free pad can be used to solder the relevant wire from the SCCC into. Finally three smoothing caps should be removed: C174, C175, C176.

L104 = Composite Video (CVBS)

L105 = Chrominance

R189 (75 ohms) = Luminance

The audio can be left as it is, but please connect all three pins at the SCCC audio connector together to prevent the audio amplifier from oscillating.

Sorry - no photos, my "labour 800" is not suitable for making pictures this time :sad:

Jurgen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1