IGNORED

Lotharek drive for the TI

adamantyr

Okay, so I got my drive today. It hooked up and worked right out of the gate!

Some stuff:

- I left the config for generic Shugart, that works fine. Right?

- It turned out my old laptop had an SD card reader built in, very cool!

- Sadly, my Extended BASIC 2.7 suite cartridge doesn't work with a Corcomp FDC. It just beeps continuously. Probably an issue with it overriding the master title screen

- I got a nasty gap on the right side now. I would put a half height floppy in there but I don't have a cable that has both a 3.5 and a 5.25 connector so close and in the right orientation. Unless I can use one that has the twist?

- I got an external floppy case and power supply that I hooked up for a DSK3. It works great, although the Lotharek doesn't like it turned on first.

hold space on eb27 on power on it should avoid the autostart

Bob has replacement corcomp roms to fix that takeover if you are using a peb card

you can't use the twist.. need one with both connectors on all three spots thats what I've found works best

Well damn it...

So I copy several converted HFE files to my SD card tonight, and now my Lotharek isn't working AT ALL! :( Every single one says "disk not initialized" in Disk Manager. Even one that was working two nights ago!

Anyone have any suggestions? The PDF for the drive is woefully unhelpful when it comes to troubleshooting.

I got it to work again... the disk cable came loose. it seems to come loose REALLY easily. :/ I just got it set back up in the drive nice and neat next to a half-height 5 1/4" drive and it must have gotten disconnected again. Sigh...

And now my push button on my P.E. Box is sticking. And the work on-call needed my help with something. It's one of those kind of nights...

• Like 1

Quick question... what jumper settings do I need on the Lotharek to make it emulate both DSK1 and DSK2?

I thought it was set up correctly but when I try and swap DSK2 to a different image it just changes DSK1... I didn't check to see what the default settings on the drive was.

• 1 month later...

Hey all, follow up...

So is it everyone else's experience that the Corcomp FDC is really slow? I changed the jumpers on it to be the smallest MS timing, and it's still rather sluggish loading files.

Or am I just spoiled by Classic99's near instant speed? I'm now seriously regretting selling a spare TI FDC card, I would be curious to see if it was faster...

On that note, what FDC options do we have for the TI? I'd also like to be rid of that Corcomp 9900 controller screen...

You're probably spoiled, the disk system is far, far slower than Classic99. (But go back to cassette for a day for proper perspective. ;) 4 seconds versus 4 minutes is pretty good ;) ).

Disks are also heavily slowed by file fragmentation, if you hear it seeking a lot in a single file that may be the issue. Seeking takes humanly measurable time. ;)

You're probably spoiled, the disk system is far, far slower than Classic99. (But go back to cassette for a day for proper perspective. ;) 4 seconds versus 4 minutes is pretty good ;) ).

Disks are also heavily slowed by file fragmentation, if you hear it seeking a lot in a single file that may be the issue. Seeking takes humanly measurable time. ;)

Yeah, I figured I was. :) I'm using the Lotharek drive with disk images though, so I wouldn't think fragmentation would be an issue...

Yeah, I figured I was. :) I'm using the Lotharek drive with disk images though, so I wouldn't think fragmentation would be an issue...

It still is if the image is fragmented. Seek track isn't a command, the controller literally commands "step head", waits, then "step head" again. So it takes the same amount time with the Lotharek as with a physical floppy drive. :) Sector read is the same speed too, as far as I know. I've got the Gotek and it's pretty close to mechanical. ;)

• Like 2

It still is if the image is fragmented. Seek track isn't a command, the controller literally commands "step head", waits, then "step head" again. So it takes the same amount time with the Lotharek as with a physical floppy drive. :) Sector read is the same speed too, as far as I know. I've got the Gotek and it's pretty close to mechanical. ;)

I'll take a look, I used TI99Dir to create a disk image to copy files to. One of them IS 128k in size, so maybe it's getting broken up...