IGNORED

Bosconian for the 8-bits

MrFish

Only tried in emulation... but I like it. Note of course the extremeties are likely to be cut off on a lot of TVs but it's not essential picture being lost.

Would you be able to try one with a bit more colour? My thought is have a colour split at halfway down the pic (about half the height of the filled red text), with slightly darker luminence for the bottom half.

Current WIP for the splash screen.

I found out that there was no version of this particular Bosconian logo style with a black background on the machine/cab artwork or any other literature. I think it was just adapted for some website or other online media presentation, and thus floating around out there. So, I wanted to do a version in the original white background. I still like how the black background looks, though, and I think Shanti77 still prefers it. So I'll be working on a black version too (takes a different approach to achieve in Graph2Font).

BTW, credit goes to Shanti77, as this logo was built/reworked from the original one he made and used in earlier released betas.

This is on NTSC.

attachicon.gifbosco white ntsc.png

Here's the Japanese flyer that this particular logo comes from.

attachicon.gifbosco jap flyer.jpg

If someone would be kind enough to try this out on real hardware with a CRT, I'd appreciate it. I don't have anything set up in my place at the moment and I'm curious how it works out because it's using widescreen mode.

attachicon.gifbosconian white wip8d (ntsc).xex

attachicon.gifbosconian white wip8d (PAL).xex

Quite nice, but why don't you make use of DLIs for the colour transition in the logo to show off Atari's colour capabilities? :)

Quite nice, but why don't you make use of DLIs for the colour transition in the logo to show off Atari's colour capabilities? :)

More Rainbow colour bars!!!

Actually I don't know if stuff like that would detract from the classic look...

• Like 1

I just tried to make the transition smoother - one with lines and one with checkerboard pattern (that one would be harder to accomplish due to colour restrictions, but maybe still doable).

attachicon.gifbosconian-t1.png attachicon.gifbosconian-t2.png

Thanks. They both look pretty cool.

As I said, it's a WIP, so I'd planned just what you're talking about here -- and several other things will be added to the design. I wanted to work on the black background version first -- which is part-way completed.

Edited by MrFish

This white color blister my eyes :) Try high artefact mode in Altirra to see how does it look on crt.

Haha... I think I prefer the black version too, actually.

I did test it in high artifact mode, but what I'm more interested in is the possibility of the extreme sides being clipped on real hardware. As Rybags said, either way it won't be a big deal, but I'm interested to hear a little feedback on it.

Only tried in emulation... but I like it. Note of course the extremeties are likely to be cut off on a lot of TVs but it's not essential picture being lost.

Would you be able to try one with a bit more colour? My thought is have a colour split at halfway down the pic (about half the height of the filled red text), with slightly darker luminence for the bottom half.

Thanks. It only goes into the border by 4 pixels on each side. Still waiting for some feedback...

I'll be doing some color experiments after I'm done with the basic G2F design for the black background version.

I don't think it would matter. At worst you'd probably lose the lower blue sharp part on the left - consider that the text margin of 2 characters is 1 too much on most TVs.

Shrinking the whole thing or cutting parts out to make it fit would just make it look bad.

That checkerboard version... yep I think looks better. Maybe even replicate it for the top part as well?

I don't think it would matter. At worst you'd probably lose the lower blue sharp part on the left - consider that the text margin of 2 characters is 1 too much on most TVs.

Shrinking the whole thing or cutting parts out to make it fit would just make it look bad.

I'm not too concerned; I have no plans to reduce the design no matter what.

I'm not too concerned; I have no plans to reduce the design no matter what.

Are you sure?

I couldn't resist so here's P.G. with scanlines that I already got what are the PFs (including PF2&PF3) that I put in 40Bytes wide that I think nobody will notice the difference.

Then I thought the same way as I usually do with Mariuszw that is to use the loading and/or title screen(s) to show original and A8 version credits and date.

I can help and do all this on G2F during night together with MrFish if is yours wishes. The font can be other one and other sizes, of course, because I just did this one one simplier and quickly on P.C.'s Paint program so you can say what's yours like and wish... I would only suggest that even less size that NAMCO needs that design as it's their original and at the time.

I have two ideas that is the A8 have a sort of 'paper colour' where is shown the credits or not and is all shown above the white.

Indeed I like the white (maybe would change to lightest gray (0C) instead of plain white (0E) for the BAK colour register because there are too too much black loading and title screens around. The problem here, in my opinion, is that you had most of the screen empty and that is why I am adding stuff. You'll cover more white area and have original together with the A8 version credits that is another problem solved ;) :).

Here's the two (and it can have less used scanlines to get 8scanlines blank at the top more the same at the bottom so that it can be all the picture also be seen on NTSC tvs):

post-6517-0-51566100-1496854825.pngpost-6517-0-30944900-1496854851.png

:P

:thumbsup:

Are you sure?

I couldn't resist so here's P.G. with scanlines that I already got what are the PFs (including PF2&PF3) that I put in 40Bytes wide that I think nobody will notice the difference.

Then I thought the same way as I usually do with Mariuszw that is to use the loading and/or title screen(s) to show original and A8 version credits and date.

I can help and do all this on G2F during night together with MrFish if is yours wishes. The font can be other one and other sizes, of course, because I just did this one one simplier and quickly on P.C.'s Paint program so you can say what's yours like and wish... I would only suggest that even less size that NAMCO needs that design as it's their original and at the time.

I have two ideas that is the A8 have a sort of 'paper colour' where is shown the credits or not and is all shown above the white.

Indeed I like the white (maybe would change to lightest gray (0C) instead of plain white (0E) for the BAK colour register because there are too too much black loading and title screens around. The problem here, in my opinion, is that you had most of the screen empty and that is why I am adding stuff. You'll cover more white area and have original together with the A8 version credits that is another problem solved ;) :).

Here's the two (and it can have less used scanlines to get 8scanlines blank at the top more the same at the bottom so that it can be all the picture also be seen on NTSC tvs):

Yes, I'm sure I'll leave it wide-screen.

Thanks for the ideas, but I really didn't post this looking for suggestions or help (though ideas are no problem). As I've mentioned already it's a WIP. I just posted here so people can see what we're up to - just as Shanti77 has posted betas of the game.

I already know what I want to do with the rest of the screen.

Shanti77 and I already talked about me working on this and other graphics since almost a year ago. I just didn't have much time until recently.

If someone would be kind enough to try this out on real hardware with a CRT, I'd appreciate it. I don't have anything set up in my place at the moment and I'm curious how it works out because it's using widescreen mode.

Here's the NTSC version on my usual composite CRT, running on an 800XL with one of Bryan's UAV boards in it and my monitor left at its usual settings for screen width and height (it's got fully analog controls). Looks great to me. :)

post-30400-0-31625900-1496871916.jpeg

EDITED TO ADD A WARNING:

I cannot say it's related but ... :ponder:

after leaving the screen up for maybe 10 minutes while I was distracted off doing other things (like posting the screenshot above) I came back to a badly scrambled display. Rebooting didn't fix it, power cycling didn't fix it, the menu system for the U1MB was total corrupted and inaccessible. Removing the U1MB and reinstalling the OS ROM and MMU at least let me get to a corrupted READY prompt. Further detailed troubleshooting ensued and long story short, my ANTIC was fried. Replaced it with one from a donor system and all is well. Again, I cannot state with 100% this .XEX was the cause, but the system has been running happily as-is for almost 2 years aside from putting in Bryan's rev C UAV a year ago, and replacing that with a rev D (plug in swap basically), which I did a couple months ago. So, just a heads up to anyone who may have a latent issue with their ANTIC chip waiting to discover.

post-30400-0-63598500-1496878731.jpg

post-30400-0-78446800-1496878723.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks. Looks fine to me. I'm not worried about a few pixels cut off on CRTs. It's not drastic at all.

I'm a little surprised about the outer blue; it should be at least a bit lighter than the blue on top of the lettering. They almost look the same here, and they are two different blues (lettering blue is getting into purplish). I may have to take it one notch over into purple in order to have some distinction. Is the photo you took a good representation of what you're seeing, color-wise?

Is that a 1084 with composite? I may bust out my setup and have a look too.

Thanks. Looks fine to me. I'm not worried about a few pixels cut off on CRTs. It's not drastic at all.

I'm a little surprised about the outer blue; it should be at least a bit lighter than the blue on top of the lettering. They almost look the same here, and they are two different blues (lettering blue is getting into purplish). I may have to take it one notch over into purple in order to have some distinction. Is the photo you took a good representation of what you're seeing, color-wise?

Is that a 1084 with composite? I may bust out my setup and have a look too.

Yes, the colors are (were) pretty accurate. The monitor is a circa 1987 Apple Color Composite monitor. But please see my edited post and added screenshots: after running the .XEX and leaving it up for about 10 minutes, my ANTIC fried. So evidently I had a marginal chip (albeit one that has worked great for 33 years as of last month :P ) and is now slipping off its mortal coil. It's going upstate to a farm to frolic with the rest of the old silicon wafers. It's is kaput. It is an un-chip. :o

EDITED TO ADD A WARNING:

I cannot say it's related but ... :ponder:

after leaving the screen up for maybe 10 minutes while I was distracted off doing other things (like posting the screenshot above) I came back to a badly scrambled display. Rebooting didn't fix it, power cycling didn't fix it, the menu system for the U1MB was total corrupted and inaccessible. Removing the U1MB and reinstalling the OS ROM and MMU at least let me get to a corrupted READY prompt. Further detailed troubleshooting ensued and long story short, my ANTIC was fried. Replaced it with one from a donor system and all is well. Again, I cannot state with 100% this .XEX was the cause, but the system has been running happily as-is for almost 2 years aside from putting in Bryan's rev C UAV a year ago, and replacing that with a rev D (plug in swap basically), which I did a couple months ago. So, just a heads up to anyone who may have a latent issue with their ANTIC chip waiting to discover.

Whoa dude! That's messed up.

Yes, the colors are (were) pretty accurate. The monitor is a circa 1987 Apple Color Composite monitor. But please see my edited post and added screenshots: after running the .XEX and leaving it up for about 10 minutes, my ANTIC fried. So evidently I had a marginal chip (albeit one that has worked great for 33 years as of last month :P ) and is now slipping off its mortal coil. It's going upstate to a farm to frolic with the rest of the old silicon wafers. It's is kaput. It is an un-chip. :o

OK, it's good to see how it looks on composite then.

Man, you weren't able to revive your ANTIC at all? I know it happens, but what odd timing.

Whoa dude! That's messed up.

(SNIP)

Man, you weren't able to revive your ANTIC at all? I know it happens, but what odd timing.

Yeah, definitely weird! I haven't yet tried the suspect ANTIC in my donor/test system (another 800XL), but I will this weekend while I'm working on my Ugly Duckling 1200XL. But before I swapped it, I tried multiple resets and power cycles, unplugging and reconnecting my U1MB. Checking continuity on the U1MB jumper wires, swapping OS ribbon cable for the U1MB, and as mentioned earlier even disconnecting it and reinstalling the stock OS and MMU. When that didn't work, I went first to ANTIC and GTIA was next on the list to try. Fortunately, ANTIC was the culprit. Good thing, because I'm already down two GTIAs to repair systems in the last couple years - need to contact Best pretty soon with an IC order to get my systems all working again.

Yeah, definitely weird! I haven't yet tried the suspect ANTIC in my donor/test system (another 800XL), but I will this weekend while I'm working on my Ugly Duckling 1200XL. But before I swapped it, I tried multiple resets and power cycles, unplugging and reconnecting my U1MB. Checking continuity on the U1MB jumper wires, swapping OS ribbon cable for the U1MB, and as mentioned earlier even disconnecting it and reinstalling the stock OS and MMU. When that didn't work, I went first to ANTIC and GTIA was next on the list to try. Fortunately, ANTIC was the culprit. Good thing, because I'm already down two GTIAs to repair systems in the last couple years - need to contact Best pretty soon with an IC order to get my systems all working again.

Well, the first thing that came to mind my (if you didn't already do it) is that the ANTIC that was in there may have just needed to be popped out and put back in; sometimes it's just a contact issue. Anyway, sound like you're not ready to pitch it yet, so we'll see.

I guess after this I may need to include a disclamer with all my title screens. :D

Are you sure?

attachicon.gifmine.PNGattachicon.gifmine _credits no paper different colour.PNG

:P

:thumbsup:

Too many fonts - the "Atari 8bit By" line looks crude IMHO - that typeface is not used anywhere in the game...

sTeVE

I've said that font could be other and that my screen(s) was done quickly just to show the design idea mostly to fill all that empty white area and to show reduced to 40Bytes wide logo. Of course that other than the NAMCO letter design should be other and I said that in my posted that you quoted...

Of course that I also don't like and wouldn't use that letters if it was me ;).

Edited by José Pereira