IGNORED

about cartridges, molds, colors etc.. etc..

mkiker2089

• 3 months later...

I've seen at least one homebrew cart that had a blue translucent shell. I don't know if it could have been a one-off cart or not, but it really seems to me that new cart shells would be availible. I'm all for manufacturing things in places other than China, but if anyone here has connections with toy or plastics companies in China, there's a good chance these might be easier and cheaper to get than what we think. I'd really love to have color options. I know I've ran into games at flea markets and thrift stores that had beat up shells. had there been readily availible replacements, I would have been buying up more games to bring back to life instead of leaving them to be thrown away eventually. Also, I've seen more than a few auctions on "the Bay" where someone had gutted a bunch of carts and was selling off the PCBs in large lots. I had considered buying some 7800 ones, but without replacement shells, it wouldn't have made much sense. When the shells do become availible, I might just stock up on a bunch of them just to make some of my favorite games stand out from the rest in my collection. :-D

Here's my VGWiz collection...

attachicon.gifSWP_FDN_FT.JPG

Fall Down is great like that! Way before my time here and I've never seen the 2 color shell for sale used. Wish it were still sold that way.

I think all Multi-SD card carts should be translucent.

How cool would Harmony be translucent with a see through label also?

I spent an insane $40 for practically the last new translucent Vectrex shell (for my VecMulti cart).

I love that. It screams, "new technology". (Or at least late 80's when watches, TV's, and other things had clear or translucent plastic. )

• Like 2

Fall Down is great like that! Way before my time here and I've never seen the 2 color shell for sale used. Wish it were still sold that way.

I think all Multi-SD card carts should be translucent.

How cool would Harmony be translucent with a see through label also?

Yeah, I like the Fall Down red/blue cart shell. This was one of my earliest homebrew purchases. A great game. This and Four-Play are a hit during game nights with friends/family.

Totally agree that all Multi's should be translucent. :)

Coleco shells are white; wasn't King Kong in a blue shell?
Okay, Tigervision. Although those are all rarity 5,6 7 and a 9.
If I had King Kong and a Jawbreaker...

What other old original games had color Atari shells, and were they non-playable enough to repurpose? (For my own fabrication, not a homebrew run - except Wizard of Wor - that better be in a gray CBS shell :D ).

Edited by iesposta

Coleco shells are white; wasn't King Kong in a blue shell?

You just got me thinking. I'm going to do a little research and see if there are some commons that have cases that aren't black (and are the correct shape). If I can find one cheap enough, I might just reshell my Harmony cart and do a custom label for it. :grin:

After a bit of digging, King Kong can be had at a reasonable price, but I'm not sure the Harmony would fit in it due to the tapered nature of the top of the cart. However, I do have a few Coleco games in my collection that have white/off white cases. I'm wondering if they would take dye. if they would, I could make my Harmony cart into almost any color I wanted, except translucent.

OK, one more update. The Coleco carts have a tapered area on the back too. I'm not sure if the Harmony internals would fit and I'm not ready to take it apart to see, so for now I'll live with it being black.

Edited by RamrodHare

Yeah, read and blue were the only two colors I had (not including the clear translucent), and the Fall Down label just happened to work perfectly for them. :)

..Al

• 2 weeks later...

Nice looking cartridges with all these colors. :) Sadly, back in the 80`s, all cartridges i bought here in Germany, had black cartridges. I never saw another here. Black also looks very good, but having a bigger choice of colors, would have been cool back in time.

• Like 1

Nice looking cartridges with all these colors. :) Sadly, back in the 80`s, all cartridges i bought here in Germany, had black cartridges. I never saw another here. Black also looks very good, but having a bigger choice of colors, would have been cool back in time.

Word. I became a really big fan of RetroUSB's red/green/blue/clear carts, back during a time when everyone else was using gray donors. Now that everyone's doing colored carts, it's almost a let down when I'm forced to buy an NES homebrew in bog standard gray.

Imagine if AtariAge had gotten those molds and been doing colored carts for 10+ years, how cool my shelf would have looked. I never understood collectors demanding sameness. Japan's Famicom was a veritable rainbow... 8)

• Like 1

Different colors would probably make me more interested in buying carts. I don't have anything against black (It's usually one of my favorite colors). It's just that having 60 or so carts, all black, getting another one isn't that exciting, but if every one of them was a new color, that would be interesting. If I could buy empty carts in different colors, I'd probably reshell some of my favorite games and make new labels for them. As it stands right now, I'm probably going to sell off most of my carts, since I have a Harmony Encore. I'll still hold on to my favorites, just in case colored shells become availible. :-D

• 1 month later...