IGNORED

Trying to learn TI programming

Pheonix

Well, I think I have all the bugs worked out. I've relocated the WS to the beginning so that it makes it easier to relocate it on the fly. Everything that could have an address change (including the base program,) is placed in a WS register, even the address of the WS register itself (sitting in R15, with the LWPI command just before it in R14.) I never write to those, so it should be fine that way. I removed the only B (branch,) command and moved the very simple error reporting utility to the middle & changed the "test for error,) jump to test for no error then skip over it :) Same number of commands, it just avoids the routine if no error instead of going to the routine if there is one. Actually shrank the size a little by replacing direct address with Register referencing. It works for loading normal programs (both even LN address & odd,) and for long format programs. Even ran it multiple times. The last was fixed rather quickly by separating the PAB from the load buffer.

I also don't think I can streamline it any further. At least with my current level of knowledge. If anyone else can think of ways to do things with less code, feel free to speak up :) Going back over my Option 5 loader to see if I can do something similar (Using the WS Registers to build in better relocation abilities.) One thing that simplifies it is the limited VDP space. The PAB & Buffer just don't have that many places they can be located at. A lot of the relocation problems can be greatly simplified if my main program builds the PAB & places it in VDP RAM. Though with the Option 5 & Normal Save BASIC loader, the need for a PAB can be eliminated, as directly accessing the files (to pull out individual blocks at a time instead of loading in 8K increments or all at once for BASIC,) doesn't seem to use it. It uses the FAC instead (from what I've read.) Still reading up on it, it looks promising.

Whether I need the PAB or not, the first 2 sections will be removed. The File Descriptor will be provided by the main program & the PAB will be placed by it as well. So those routines for getting it (STRREF,) and putting it in the VDP won't be needed. Nor will the PAB block at the bottom. VDPADR & VDPPAB will also remain equates and I may be able to remove them from the Registers. They are used so often, though, that maybe I can just leave them be (smaller code by using registers instead of directly referencing (moving from register to register is 2 bytes, while immediate mode takes 4.)

The latest (and hopefully final,) stand alone loader code:

DEF  ALOAD

AORG >2600

COPY "XB-EQUATES"
       COPY "DSR-GPL;S"

VDPADR EQU >1000
VDPPAB EQU >0EF7
ELNTBL EQU >8330
BLNTBL EQU >8332
EBASIC EQU >FFE7
RBASIC EQU >64BD
FNPTR  EQU >8356
LSTPRT EQU >8345

ALDWS  BSS  18
       DATA VDPPAB+9   * R9
       DATA VDPPAB     * R10
       DATA VDPADR     * R11
       DATA DSRLNK     * R12
       DATA GPLLNK     * R13
ALOAD  LWPI ALDWS      * DOUBLES AS R14 & R15 BUT NEVER ALTERED
       LIMI 0

CLR  R0
       SETO R1
       MOVB R1,@PAB+9
       INCT R1
       LI   R2,PAB+9
       BLWP @STRREF     * READ FILE DESCRIPTOR FROM CALL

MOVB @PAB+9,R2   * GET DESCRIPTOR LENGTH
       SRL  R2,8
       AI   R2,10       * ADD BASE SIZE OF PAB TO
       MOV  R10,R0
       LI   R1,PAB
       BLWP @VMBW       * COPY PAB TO VDP

MOV  R9,@FNPTR
       BLWP *R12
       DATA 8          * GET FILE STATUS (FOR FILE TYPE)
       ANDI R0,>FF00   * PUTS ERROR IN MSB OF R0
       JNE  CHKERR
       MOV  R9,R0
       DEC  R0
       BLWP @VSBR      * READ STATUS BYTE
       SRL  R1,8
       ANDI R1,>14
       MOV  R1,R8      * STORE FOR FUTURE USE
       CLR  R1
       MOV  R8,R8
       JNE  LONGF1     * DATA FILE, LOAD XB LONG FILE
       LI   R1,>0500   * SET FOR LOAD
LONGF1 MOV  R10,R0
       BLWP @VSBW      * SET ACCESS 0=OPEN, 5=LOAD

MOV  R9,@FNPTR
       BLWP *R12
       DATA 8          * LOADS FILE / OPENS FILE
       JEQ  CHKERR
       ANDI R0,>FF00   * DSRLNK PUTS ERROR CODE IN MSB OF R0
       JNE  CHKERR

MOV  R8,R8
       JEQ  NORMF1     * PROGRAM FILE, ALREADY LOADED
       MOV  R10,R0
       LI   R1,>0200
       BLWP @VSBW      * PUTS 2 (READ)
       MOV  R9,@FNPTR
       BLWP *R12
       DATA 8

NORMF1 MOV  R11,R0
       MOV  R15,R1     * R15 IS WS ADDRESS
       AI   R1,6       * SETS R3-R7 AS DESTINATION
       LI   R2,10
       BLWP @VMBR      * READS FIRST 5 WORDS
       MOV  R8,R8
       JEQ  NORMF2

CI   R3,>ABCD   * MAKE SURE IT IS XB LONG
       JNE  CHKERR
       MOV  R6,R3
       MOV  R7,R6
       MOV  R4,R7
       MOV  R5,R4      * REGISTER ASSIGNMENTS MATCH
       MOV  R7,R5      * (FASTER WAY??)

NORMF2 MOVB @LSTPRT,R7
       ANDI R7,>7F00   *TURN OFF LIST PROTECTION IF ON
       MOV  R4,R0
       XOR  R5,R0
       C    R0,R3      * SEE IF CHECK WORD MATCHES
       JEQ  MATCH
       NEG  R0
       C    R0,R3      * SEE IF LIST PROTECTED
       JEQ  LISTP1

CHKERR MOV  R10,@>831C * MOVED HERE BECAUSE OUT OF RANGE
       LI   R0,ERRIO   * OF EVERYWHERE THAT USED IT
       BLWP @ERR

LISTP1 ORI  R7,>8000   * TURN ON LIST PROTECTION
MATCH  MOVB R7,@LSTPRT * SET LIST PROTECTION ON/OFF
       MOV  R8,R8
       JNE  LONGF2
       MOV  R6,R2
       S    R5,R2      * CALCULATE TOTAL SIZE
       INC  R2         * INCREASE TO INCLUDE TRAILING NULL BYTE
       LI   R7,EBASIC
       S    R6,R7      * CALCULATE DIFFERENTIAL IF EXISTS
       A    R7,R4
       A    R7,R5      * ADJUST ADDRESSES
LONGF2 MOV  R5,@ELNTBL
       MOV  R4,@BLNTBL * STORE LINE NUMBER TABLE POINTERS
       MOV  R8,R8
       JEQ  NORMF3     * GO TO NORMAL MODE, JUST NEEDS TRANSFERED

RDLOOP MOV  R9,@FNPTR
       BLWP *R12
       DATA 8          * READ RECORD
       MOV  R10,R0
       AI   R0,5
       BLWP @VSBR      * GET RECORD LENGTH
       SRL  R1,8
       MOV  R1,R2
       MOV  R5,R1      * CURRENT DESTINATION ADDRESS
       A    R2,R5      * CHANGE TO NEXT DESTINATION
       MOV  R11,R0
       BLWP @VMBR      * COPY FROM VDP TO RAM
       C    R5,R6
       JLE  RDLOOP
       MOV  R10,R0
       CLR  R1
       INC  R1
       BLWP @VSBW      * SET FOR CLOSE
       MOV  R9,@FNPTR
       BLWP *R12
       DATA 8          * CLOSE FILE
       JMP  RUNIT

NORMF3 MOV  R11,R0
       AI   R0,8
       MOV  R5,R1      * DESTINATION
       BLWP @VMBR      * COPY FROM VDP TO RAM
ADLOOP MOVB *R4,R0
       DEC  R4
       SWPB R0
       MOVB *R4,R0
       A    R7,R0      * UPDATE TABLE VALUES
       MOVB R0,*R4+
       SWPB R0
       MOVB R0,*R4
       DECT R4
       DECT R4         * MOVE TO NEXT VALUE
       C    R4,R5
       JH   ADLOOP

RUNIT  BLWP *R13
       DATA RBASIC

PAB    DATA >091C
       DATA VDPADR
       DATA >FE00
       DATA >2E40      * >2E40 SIZE W/32K EXPANSION
       DATA >00FF

END

Well... Now working on a staggered load system. This requires Direct File Access (DSRLNK subroutine 014 in the book.) Web searches and referencing the E/A manual allowed me to get snippets of instructions from multiple places. No single source seemed to include clear instructions or examples. I found one place that had an example, but didn't include the important piece. that is, it had references to "where" to place certain pieces, and even placed them, but when it came time to do "BLWP @DSRLNK" they instead did "BL @FILE" with no reference whatsoever to the label "FILE" anywhere I could find. Rather frustrating :(

From what I worked out, my current code:

COPY "DSK1.XB-EQUATES"

VDPCML EQU  >3800      * BYTE (>01)
VDPCMD EQU  VDPCML+1   * BYTE (>14)
VFNAME EQU  VDPCML+2   * 10 BYTES
VDPADR EQU  VDPCML+12  * 8 BYTES (NORMALLY INCLUDES BELOW)
VDPAD1 EQU  VDPCML+20  * 248 BYTES

FTBLK  EQU  FAC+2
DEVNUM EQU  FTBLK      * BYTE
AUREAD EQU  FTBLK+1    * BYTE
FNPTR  EQU  FTBLK+2    * WORD (IN VDP?)
AIBPTR EQU  FTBLK+4    * BYTE

ADINFO EQU  >A000
AIVADR EQU  ADINFO    * WORD
AIFAU  EQU  ADINFO+2  * WORD
AISTS  EQU  ADINFO+4  * BYTE
AIRPAU EQU  ADINFO+5  * BYTE
AIEOF  EQU  ADINFO+6  * BYTE
AILRS  EQU  ADINFO+7  * BYTE
AIRCDS EQU  ADINFO+8  * WORD
FNBLEN EQU  ADINFO+10 *
FNBUFF EQU  ADINFO+11

LBNWS  BSS  32
SLOAD  LWPI LBNWS
       LIMI 0

CLR  R0
       CLR  R1
       INCT R1

BLWP @NUMREF     * GET DEVICE NUMBER
       BLWP @XMLLNK
       DATA CFI
       MOV  @FAC,R5

DEC  R1
       LI   R2,ADINFO+1
       LI   R3,>0A00
       MOVB R3,*R2
       BLWP @STRREF     * GET FILE NAME
       MOVB *R2+,R4
       SRL  R4,8
       A    R4,R2
       SWPB R3
       S    R4,R3
       LI   R4,>2000
SPCLP  MOVB R4,*R2+
       DEC  R3
       JNE  SPCLP       * PAD WITH >20 (SPACE)

LI   R0,VDPCML
       MOV  R0,R9
       LI   R1,ADINFO
       LI   R2,>0114
       MOV  R2,*R1
       LI   R2,12
       BLWP @VMBW       * COPY COMMAND & FILE NAME TO VPD

LI   R0,ADINFO
       LI   R1,00
       LI   R2,5
NTEST  MOV  R1,*R0+
       DEC  R2
       JNE  NTEST

SLA  R5,8
       MOV  R5,@FTBLK
       LI   R2,VFNAME
       MOV  R2,@FNPTR
       LI   R1,>A000
       MOV  R1,@AIBPTR
       MOV  R1,@>83A0   * NOT SURE IF ADDITIONAL INFO POINTER IS 1 BYTE FOR >83??
       LI   R0,VDPADR
       MOV  R0,@AIVADR  * FILL FAC+2 ONWARDS

MOV  R9,@DSRPTR
       BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA >A

LWPI GPLWS
       CLR  @STATUS
       B    @RTNPTR

Overly complicated, I'm sure, and it doesn't do anything yet, but I cannot get past getting anything except an error byte in >8350 (07). I've confirmed that I'm getting & setting the correct device number (still haven't worked out if there is a way to do this with sub-directories or hard drives.) The file name & it's pointer are going in the right places, and are the correct values. I've moved the file name to both CPU & VDP RAM (though what I'm reading suggests it needs to be in VDP,) without any change. I even set the Additional Info Block to >8300 as in the example I found. All to no avail :(

Overly complicated, I'm sure, and it doesn't do anything yet, but I cannot get past getting anything except an error byte in >8350 (07). I've confirmed that I'm getting & setting the correct device number (still haven't worked out if there is a way to do this with sub-directories or hard drives.) The file name & it's pointer are going in the right places, and are the correct values. I've moved the file name to both CPU & VDP RAM (though what I'm reading suggests it needs to be in VDP,) without any change. I even set the Additional Info Block to >8300 as in the example I found. All to no avail :(

I have not looked at every detail, but one thing wrong is that the Additional Information Block (AIB) pointer is a byte—not a word. It needs to point to an address in PAD RAM by containing the LSB of the address. The DSR supplies the MSB (>83). I use ARG (>835C) for the AIB by putting >5C in the AIB pointer byte at >8350.

...lee

I think I mentioned that I thought it was, but was trying alternatives in case I was wrong. I had originally followed an example I found as closely as possible. They used >8300 for the Additional Info Block, putting >00 in >8350. So that's what I did first. It's from that example that it looked like the File Name Pointer needed to reference VDP RAM and not CPU RAM. I double used the AIB for buffering that as well, though I did try creating my own buffer when that didn't work. In VDP RAM, I put >01 >14 (the length of 1 byte followed by the subroutine I'm wanting to access >14.) That is followed by 10 bytes for the File Name padded with spaces (>20,) as instructed by the book. I put the following in FAC starting at FAC+2 (>834C,) >01 (device #, though that is an argument passed by CALL LINK, I confirmed it gets placed correctly,) >00 (# of AU's to read, or get File Specifics if = 0,) VDP RAM address of the File Name (2 Bytes,) then >00 (for >8300, though tried >A000 - and checked both >83A0 & >A000, and now >5C for >835C.) I've confirmed that the VDP RAM addresses contain what they are supposed to contain and addresses >834C - >8350 are all correct at this point. I then place the VDP Address of the >0114 subroutine length & name into >8356 as instructed and do "BLWP @DSRLNK" followed by "DATA >A" or "DATA 10" (tried both.) At this point >8350 contains (>07 - Error 7, , from what I've read,) the AIB is completely unchanged (Both with & without the VDP RAM Buffer Address in the first word.) >834C becomes >0000 instead of >0100, >834A becomes >14 (was >00, though I never touch it.)

From what I've read, nothing is said about the FAC (other than the error code will be placed in >8350,) and the AIB should be >380C (placing it in the upper 2K to avoid interference with bitmap graphics,) >002C (44 AUs of the current test file,) >01 (PROGRAM, though I got this from TI Image Tool, the book said different,) >00 (again from TI Image Tool,) >8E (EOF offset of final AU,) >00 (from TI Image Tool,) >0000 (TI Image Tool.) What I get is no change (all >00 except first word of >380C which I set, or >0000 when I tried not setting it.)

There are a few sources of information that may help:

1. the latter portion of the Myarc Hard and Floppy disk controller manual contains information about the common subprograms. Fred's site also contains information about the various subprograms.

2. the pinned development resource thread, section 3, for the DSR and disk management specifications. Specifically, review the GPL Interface specification.

It is not necessary to place the filename after the "PAB" >0114; they don't need to be contiguous. They do need to be copied into VDP RAM.

The additional info block will always be found in PAD ram along with the transferred parameters. You cannot place the AIB in CPU RAM (i.e., >380C); a good place for it is 8300 provided neither your program workspace nor your DSRLNK workspace overlap.

I know they don't need to be contiguous, it's just handier that way. I build them both as one block & transfer it all at once. I've been working on this for a week now, and I must be making a mistake somewhere. It will probably turn out to be something absurdly simple when its found, that's the way it usually turns out. When it's up and running, and streamlined, it will be converted for relocation (though not all that necessary for BASIC programs from what I understand.) When that is done, the main program will set up the PAB and such before transferring control to the loader. At that point, the main program is never accessed again (probably going to be written over in some cases.) So, all the loader needs is pointers to important bits (Device #, File Name, & Sub-Routine Bytes in this case.) As well as the BLWP links for DSRLNK & GPLLNK. Think I'm going to scrap what I currently have and start from scratch again. Maybe I can avoid whatever mistake I'm making this time around. Would feel better, though, if I could actually track down the exact issue.

I actually got the GPL links from the development resource thread. It's what gave me the idea for a partial load system (loading in one block at a time, instead of the entire program at once.) I'm starting to reconsider that in favor of 2 other options. Simplest would be to just give up and make the loading screen normal mode (limited color/graphics etc...) The more complex would be to look into direct disk access instead. Track/sector/head reads instead of file blocks (AUs.) Still trying to do this using something that comes in ROM/GROM as that should be compatible between different controllers. The direct disk access may actually be more compatible with sub-directories and HDD's as well, though I cannot speak to that as yet. Would like to get this up and running, then worry about that later.

In all honesty, most of my programming experience is with C++ on the PC (mostly DOS, an extremely small amount of Windows,) and.... grrr... memory fails, it was a 16 bit system from the 90's but can't remember now :( wasn't the Amiga, actually don't have "any" programming experience on the Amiga. I only worked in assembly on the 6502 systems (C64 & Apple II primarily.) Didn't even have an assembler for the C64 originally, long hours (after writing the code,) looking up OP codes and typing them in manually. Fun days.... Calculating branch values, without a firm grasp of signed numbers, was rather fun as well.

I never looked into the Myarc manuals, mainly because I'm first focusing on what I have, a standard TI PHP???? (still packed away, had to cancel the desk I was originally going to get for it,) controller and whatever the floppy drive is. Probably just the standard SSSD drive. I'm not even 100% sure what the controller is capable of, I think it's DSSD only. Not a lot of space on either of those. But I'm planning to eventually get a better controller, and drives. Maybe even a HDD. So I'd sort of like to have the functionality available when the time comes.

I do have a quick side question that is sort of bugging me :(

The manual says, to return from an assembly program back to basic: "LWPI @>83E0" (GPLWS,) "CLR @>837C" (STATUS,) & "B *R11" (alternately "RT" which is the same, according to the manual.) Here, I've been told to end with "B >006A" instead. Some of my programs work fine with the "RT" option, and some don't. I'm sort of curious what is up with that?

OK, rewrote code from scratch. This is extremely close to what I originally wrote (except I'm not reusing the >8300 range as both the VDP Buffer & the AIB.)

the code:

DEF  SLOAD

AORG >2600

COPY "DSK1.XB-EQUATES"

DSRCMD EQU  >3800
VFNAME EQU  >3802
VDPADR EQU  >380C

ADINBL EQU  >8300
FNPTR  EQU  >8356

LBNWS  BSS  18
       DATA >0001  * R9
       DATA VDPADR * R10 (BY SETTING THESE HERE, MAIN PROGRAM)
       DATA DSRCMD * R11 (CAN ALTER TO CORRECT VALUES EASIER)
       DATA DSRLNK * R12
       DATA GPLLNK * R13
SLOAD  LWPI LBNWS
       LIMI 0

* FIRST SECTION ONLY FOR TEST CODE
       CLR  R0
       MOVB @NUMARG,R1
       SRL  R1,8
       JEQ  BADARG
       CI   R1,2
       JNE  BADARG

BLWP @NUMREF
       BLWP @XMLLNK
       DATA CFI
       MOV  @FAC,R9
       JEQ  BADARG
       CI   R9,3
       JH   BADARG   * READ DEVICE NUMBER WITH LIMITATIONS FROM BOOK

DEC  R1
       LI   R2,DCBUF+1
       LI   R3,>0A00
       MOVB R3,*R2
       BLWP @STRREF    * READ IN FILE NAME
       SWPB R3
       MOVB *R2+,R1
       SRL  R1,8
       A    R1,R2
       S    R1,R3
       LI   R0,>2000
PADNAM MOVB *R2+,R0
       DEC  R3
       JNE  PADNAM     * PAD FILE NAME WITH SPACES (>20)

LI   R0,>0114
       MOV  R0,@DCBUF    * REPLACE THE >0114 FOR DSRLNK SUBROUTINE

MOV  R11,R0
       LI   R1,DCBUF
       LI   R2,>0C
       BLWP @VMBW     * COPY TO VDP RAM
* END OF FIRST SECTION
* MAIN PROGRAM WILL DO ALL THIS BEFORE BRANCHING HERE

SWPB R9        * R9 NOW SET TO >0?00 (DEVICE # & TRANSFER FILE PARAMETERS
       MOV  R11,R8
       INCT R8
       LI   R7,ADINBL
       SWPB R7        * MSB IS NOW LSB OF ADITIONAL INFO BLOCK ADDRESS
       LI   R0,FAC+2
       MOV  R9,*R0+
       MOV  R8,*R0+   * POINTER TO FILE NAME IN VDP RAM
       MOVB R7,*R0    * >834C->8350 NOW SET CORRECTLY I THINGK
       SWPB R7        * SWAP IT BACK
       LI   R0,VDPADR
       MOV  R0,*R7    * SET FIRST WORD OF AIB TO VDP RAM BUFFER

MOV  R11,@FNPTR
       BLWP @DSRLNK
       DATA 10

LWPI GPLWS
       CLR  @STATUS
       B    @RTNPTR

BADARG LI   R0,ERRBA
       JMP  SETERR
SETERR BLWP @ERR

COPY "DSK1.DSR-GPL;S"

DCBUF  DATA >010A  * SECOND BYTE DOUBLES AS FILE NAME LENGTH
FNAME  DATA >2020,>2020,>2020,>2020,>2020

END

You are using VRAM starting at >3800 for buffering. I could not find where you might have reduced the maximum number of simultaneously open files from the default of 3; but, if you have not done so, any VRAM address above >37D7 (for the TI and CorComp disk controllers) will trash the disk buffer area. You can check >8370 for the highest available VRAM address.

...lee

I never looked into the Myarc manuals, mainly because I'm first focusing on what I have, a standard TI PHP???? (still packed away, had to cancel the desk I was originally going to get for it,) controller and whatever the floppy drive is. Probably just the standard SSSD drive. I'm not even 100% sure what the controller is capable of, I think it's DSSD only. Not a lot of space on either of those. But I'm planning to eventually get a better controller, and drives. Maybe even a HDD. So I'd sort of like to have the functionality available when the time comes.

Yea, I only mentioned The Myarc manual because it is one of the few resources that contains information about the use of the subroutines. The GPL Specification contains most of what you need for you current scope.

You are using VRAM starting at >3800 for buffering. I could not find where you might have reduced the maximum number of simultaneously open files from the default of 3; but, if you have not done so, any VRAM address above >37D7 (for the TI and CorComp disk controllers) will trash the disk buffer area. You can check >8370 for the highest available VRAM address.

...lee

Well, I would guess that that tells me where the >37D7 comes from when I was studying saved basic programs :) Is that where a BASIC program would normally end in a TI without the 32K RAM expansion?

I don't remember seeing any mention of that address when I was looking for memory maps of VDP RAM. I'll have to look into it again. For partial loading, I could move the VDP RAM usage to >1B00 instead. Though my problem still exists with it there.

Just did another search, and the closest I came to a memory map of VDP RAM is the page that detailed the different screen modes, and it mostly limited itself to the effects that VDP registers have, and a bit about where the TI puts things with the different register values.

Back in the days, TI bragged about that since every peripheral has its own DSR in ROM, accessories didn't need any of your valuable RAM. But that's not 100% true, since the disk controller does need file buffers. These are allocated in VDP RAM, as that's the only RAM all machines have. When using BASIC, you can set up the system to allow from one to nine files open simultaneously. The more you want, the more memory will be used. The CALL FILES(x) command is used for this. Default is CALL FILES(3). Thus the beginning of the buffers for three files is the most common end of available VDP RAM.

Because they thought it was reasonable that you at least wanted to read from one file, do processing and store in another at the same time, maybe? Not too rarely do you also need to reference something else, or have a temporary file open for storage, while doing the work you are doing.

I don't know, I'm just guessing.

Back in the days, TI bragged about that since every peripheral has its own DSR in ROM, accessories didn't need any of your valuable RAM. But that's not 100% true, since the disk controller does need file buffers. These are allocated in VDP RAM, as that's the only RAM all machines have. When using BASIC, you can set up the system to allow from one to nine files open simultaneously. The more you want, the more memory will be used. The CALL FILES(x) command is used for this. Default is CALL FILES(3). Thus the beginning of the buffers for three files is the most common end of available VDP RAM.

To just point out how I saw this as a problem RXB allows you to do more:

CALL FILES(0) ! RXB 2017 will include this feature for maximum VDP space to XB.

or

CALL FILES(15)

As per RXB documents:

Not recommended but possible now.

Yeah, and as an aside, the FILES call seems to fail with the emulated FDC on the Cf7 and NanoPEB. That breaks a lot of bitmap programs. Why TI set the default to 3 and not 1 I'll never know..

It wasn't just TI that did that. Apple DOS 3.3 also defaulted to 3 files by default, as did Atari DOS (at least 2.5). It must have just been the number people thought would be enough normally.

I cannot "currently" seeing a need for my main program to keep more than 2 files open. One of which will be the catalog "file", and only in the editor section (while it's going through the catalog allowing me to select which files to add to the menu on that disk. I'm currently working on the idea of using a relative file for the menu info file. But am not sure how the final product will function. The current idea is to leave the info file open as I scroll through, so that I'm not filling up a buffer with the file, Just reading each entry as needed.

Yeah, and as an aside, the FILES call seems to fail with the emulated FDC on the Cf7 and NanoPEB. That breaks a lot of bitmap programs. Why TI set the default to 3 and not 1 I'll never know...

????

What do you mean by “seems to fail with the emulated FDC on the Cf7 and NanoPEB”? The same command works quite well in fbForth 2.0. I am pretty sure I have used it in XB, as well, but I need to check.

...lee

Well, it looks like it might be the emulator itself (Classic99 for the debugger,) that is at fault. Can't pull up a debugger, but having the program itself supply the error code results in no error code when using Win994a. Really wish there was a good emulator that I liked. Managed to get MAME up, and it didn't produce an error code at >8350, but the numbers at >835C didn't make a lot of sense.

The Results:

VDP Buffer start Address: >4690 (was >1B0C)

Total # of AU's for file: >3EE9 (16105???? OK, that's more than the .DSK image holds. Should be >2C)

Status Flags: >83 (8 - PROGRAM file is correct, though, but ASCII? VARIABLE? & a "reserved" bit is set)

Records per AU: >F6 (246)

EOF offset: >83 (Should be >68)

Logical Record Size: >E0

# of L3 Records Allocated: >8C02

Going to have to build it to pull all that data & display it in Win994a to see how that looks.

Well, I would guess that that tells me where the >37D7 comes from when I was studying saved basic programs :) Is that where a BASIC program would normally end in a TI without the 32K RAM expansion?

I don't remember seeing any mention of that address when I was looking for memory maps of VDP RAM. I'll have to look into it again. For partial loading, I could move the VDP RAM usage to >1B00 instead. Though my problem still exists with it there.

Just did another search, and the closest I came to a memory map of VDP RAM is the page that detailed the different screen modes, and it mostly limited itself to the effects that VDP registers have, and a bit about where the TI puts things with the different register values.

You can change the top and bottom location of VDP in scratch pad that keeps track, thus make a place in VDP that will be ignore and remain unmolested by the OS.

My normal location is RXB is >1000 as this is the last address in VDP that XB ever will touch as it starts at >37D7 and goes smaller til at last reaching >1000 in VDP.

>0958 is the VDP VALUE STACK reaches up to >09FF at most.

In XB you can also do a XML COMPCT that is a VDP garbage collection of VDP RAM. i.e. XML >70 * Is garbage collection in XB ROMs.

Well, it looks like it might be the emulator itself (Classic99 for the debugger,) that is at fault. Can't pull up a debugger, but having the program itself supply the error code results in no error code when using Win994a. Really wish there was a good emulator that I liked. Managed to get MAME up, and it didn't produce an error code at >8350, but the numbers at >835C didn't make a lot of sense.

The Results:

VDP Buffer start Address: >4690 (was >1B0C)

Total # of AU's for file: >3EE9 (16105???? OK, that's more than the .DSK image holds. Should be >2C)

Status Flags: >83 (8 - PROGRAM file is correct, though, but ASCII? VARIABLE? & a "reserved" bit is set)

Records per AU: >F6 (246)

EOF offset: >83 (Should be >68)

Logical Record Size: >E0

# of L3 Records Allocated: >8C02

Going to have to build it to pull all that data & display it in Win994a to see how that looks.

Hmm VDP RAM is from >0000 to >3FFF so how the hell could you use >4690 as a valid VDP ADDRESS for a buffer?

This looks like a wrap around problem and you are actually using >0690 as a buffer address!

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1

I've worked pretty hard on the disk error handling in Classic99 -- what exactly were you trying to do?

The debugger is launched from the menu - Edit->Debugger...

Also, any disk error is explained in the debug log, to further aid understanding why a disk error occurred.

Finally, when debugging disk access routines, you can configure a disk for disk image emulation, exit the emulator, and then edit the Classic99.ini. Change the disk type from 2 to 3, and it will run the actual TI disk controller ROM. That eliminates any differences from my internal DSR.

Yeah, and as an aside, the FILES call seems to fail with the emulated FDC on the Cf7 and NanoPEB. That breaks a lot of bitmap programs. Why TI set the default to 3 and not 1 I'll never know...

It works okay on my device (the one with the parallel port, I never remember which is CF7 and which is NanoPeb). I've run and tested all of my bitmap mode applications on it, and they would bomb out horribly if it didn't work. Mind you, my code does it's own subprogram search, I don't use the E/A DSRLNK, but you could test it pretty quick from TI BASIC with the E/A cart installed -- use CALL PEEK to read out the values at >8370, issue a CALL FILES(1), then repeat and ensure they changed.

When I test here in Classic99 I get this:

post-12959-0-88156500-1497204513.png

The numbers will differ slightly on the CF device since they allocate 6 extra bytes.

• Like 1