IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

ATARI 2600

Fast Eddie - 61 minutes

Fast Food - 45 minutes

Turmoil - 35 minutes

ATARI 5200

Pac-Man - 269 minutes

ATARI 7800

Fat Axl - 2 minutes

COLECOVISION

Pitfall II - Lost Caverns - 3 minutes

Space Fury - 30 minutes

Squish'Em - 5 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) Fast Eddie Game 1 - Rollage - 100,000+, for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6, Week 19

2) Pac-Man Cherries - Rollage - 1,000,000+, for 5200 HSC Season 10, Round 9

• Like 6

PC (DOS)

Silent Hunter: 119 min

Some High Score Club gameplay, and the final chapter of this playthrough of Silent Hunter. The war is over, and I will probably not get back to this game in the next few months. At what total playtime do I check in by now, thegoldenband?

12,189 minutes! That makes Silent Hunter #4 on the all-time list, behind #3 Christmas Carol (13001 min.), #2 Lawnmower Man (14730 min.), and #1 Kaboom (?OV ERROR).

• Like 5

That is quite an interesting list, and probably would've generated very high payback at a bookmaker if you placed a bet for the four most played retro games in the next 10 years.

Edit: I'm not even sure if Christmas Carol was planned in 2007 of course, which would make it hard to bet on...

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 4

Here are my times for this past week (May 29th through June 4th)...

Arcade:

Choplifter - 139 min. in 3 sessions

Commodore 64:

Choplifter! - 4 min.

Sega Genesis / Mega Drive:

Moonwalker - 61 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Pixelo - 37 min. in 4 sessions

This week I mainly played the arcade version of "Choplifter!" which was adapted by SEGA at about the same time as "Pitfall II". I managed to break the factory high score of 50,000 points by doing a perfect 1st round which gives you 50,000 bonus points. I also watched videos of various other versions of that game. While the Genesis and the Master System versions are the only ones that actually keep a proper score, there are various differences between the other versions. The SG-1000 version, for instance, also has a 2nd level at sea, and the newer Atari versions for the 8-bit and the 7800 play by day (with richer graphics) instead of by night. I also briefly played the C-64 version which is pretty close to the original Apple II version which I couldn't get to run.

Then I tried the Genesis version of "Moonwalker" where the perspective, compared to the arcade version, was changed from isometric to a view from the side, and the gameplay, especially the levels, is very different. Here I managed to get to the end of the 2nd level, but I often peeked into Youtube vidios in order to find out how to actually beat a level. It still takes about 30 minutes to reach the end of the 2nd level.

Apart from that, I played some more rounds of Pixelo which I started to play last week. I also played with my RC car a bit, but that's not a video or computer game, so it's not listed here.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Game Boy:
Daffy Duck: The Marvin Missions - 7 min.
SNES:
International Tennis Tour - 115 min.
Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust: Kieta Shoujo [aka Armored Dragon Legend Villgust: Missing Girl] - 407 min.
Sega 32X CD:
Night Trap - 381 min.
Beat Villgust (yawn) and started working on Night Trap with my wife. It's kinda fun! -- though replaying the first part of the game over and over again gets old fast.
  • Like 6

It's going to be a pretty short list for me this week. :lol:

TIqmLHC.jpg

Ineligible

Doom II (Game Boy Advance) - 47 minutes

Tomb Raider: Underworld (Nintendo Wii) - 698 minutes

Wade Hixton's Counter Punch (Game Boy Advance) - 73 minutes

PlayStation

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 391 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,209 minutes (20 hours 9 minutes) [391 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Wii: 698 minutes

PlayStation: 391 minutes

Game Boy Advance: 120 minutes

While the overall play time in my household this week wasn't all that different than usual, the number of games played—and particularly tracker eligible ones—was much smaller than our typical assortment. As I continue to recover from the thyroid surgery three weeks ago it was recommended that I avoid stressful activities, so for the time being I'm taking a break from my usual participation in the Atari 2600 and Atari 7800 High Score Clubs and sticking to only playing games that I will find relaxing to play and won't get stressed out over. For me this past week that was my old favorite Doom II on the Game Boy Advance along with my recently acquired copy of the exceedingly awesome Wade Hixton's Counter Punch, though the bulk of my gaming time this week was taken up by Tomb Raider: Underworld on the Nintendo Wii.

Last week I played through Tomb Raider: Legend on the GameCube, which was an absolutely astounding game in every regard, and while I can't say that it's story continuing sequel Tomb Raider: Underworld is quite as good I've still been having a lot of fun with it. The collision detection in Underworld can be a little (okay, a lot) wonky at times and the lack of an auto-save feature has caused me to have to spend about 3 hours going back and replaying levels that I had already beaten when either the game crashed or I simply forgot to save before quitting, but in spite of the moments of frustration here and there the game's fantastic story, beautiful graphics, and enjoyable gameplay mechanics have all kept me engrossed to the point that I didn't mind having to replay a couple levels. I'm not sure exactly how far I have left to go in the game, but based on where I'm at in the story at this point I don't think it's going to be too long before I finish it. The GBA games Doom II and Counter Punch on the other hand should take me a fair bit longer to wrap up.

For the misses this past week there was one and only one game she played, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation. I did end up hogging the gaming TV a lot this week so I don't think she was able to play quite as much as she would have liked, but she still got in enough play time to make it just over halfway through the game and is currently exploring the second castle. She has remarked that she's been really enjoying going back and playing through this excellent game once again, and that Symphony of the Night is definitely in her Top 10 favorite games on the PlayStation. Based on my memories of playing it as a teenager I'd be inclined to agree with her.

Looking ahead to next week I'm planning on wrapping up Tomb Raider: Underworld and then starting on a few other recent Wii pickups, so my tracker eligible play time might be relatively non-existent next week as well, but the misses still has quite a ways to go in Symphony of the Night so if nothing else I'm sure she'll score some eligible play time for our household. I'm not sure when exactly I'll resume playing in the Atari 2600 and 7800 High Score Clubs, it could still be a few more weeks before I feel up to handling that kind of stress again, but I'm not too worried about it since I've been pretty far ahead in 2nd place for the Atari 2600 High Score Club for some time now so I can afford to miss a few rounds and still hold onto my standing. Anyway, until next time, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

My times for the week. Mainly i focused on trying to finish Blake Stone (still have 2 episodes left) and started Revenant which seems like a decent RPG although its hard and i havent gotten far at all yet. Lastly i tried out a Sega CD "game" i got awhile back, Kids on Site, which gets quite boring but does have some humorous bits.

DOS

Blake Stone - 340min

Win 95/98

Revenant - 220min

Sega CD

Kids on Site - 20min

• Like 5

... and #1 Kaboom (?OV ERROR).

LOL

She has remarked that she's been really enjoying going back and playing through this excellent game once again, and that Symphony of the Night is definitely in her Top 10 favorite games on the PlayStation. Based on my memories of playing it as a teenager I'd be inclined to agree with her.

It is one of those games that deserves all the praise that it gets I think. I have an old PS game saved on memory card at 197%. No telling how much time I spent on it. I lost that disc a long time ago, though. I "bought" it again on the XBox 360 (digital download) and while the game itself is still the same, the cutscenes are gone... But, I'm at 198.8% on that one, so it's not like the lack of cutscenes really hurt me, lol.

• Like 2

Atari 2600

Adventure - 25 minutes

Asteroids - 10 minutes

Miniature Golf - 25 minutes

Skiing - 20 minutes

Upp! - 5 minutes

TI-99/4A

Pitfall - 5 minutes

Arcade

Gorf, 1981, Midway - 25 minutes

Neo Bomberman, 1997, Hudson - 55 minutes

Rampage: World Tour, 1997, Midway - 45 minutes

Three Wonders, 1991, Capcom - 140 minutes

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 22, running from May 29 - June 4. We logged 3863 minutes of eligible play, playing 36 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. Kouryuu Densetsu Villgust: Kieta Shoujo [aka Armored Dragon Legend Villgust: Missing Girl] (SNES) - 407

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) - 391

3. Night Trap (Sega 32X CD) - 381

4. Blake Stone (PC (DOS)) - 340

5. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 288

6. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 269

7. Fast Food (Atari 2600) - 249

8. Revenant (PC (Windows 95/98)) - 220

9. Alundra (PlayStation) - 196

10. Three Wonders (Arcade) - 140

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 288

2. Pac-Man (Atari 5200) - 269

3. Fast Food (Atari 2600) - 249

4. Fast Eddie (Atari 2600) - 107

5. Space Invaders Invasion [Megamania hack] (Atari 2600) - 70

6. Turmoil (Atari 2600) - 35

7. Space Fury (ColecoVision) - 30

8. Time Runner (Atari 8-bit) - 26

9. Gorf (Arcade) - 25

9. Adventure (Atari 2600) - 25

9. Miniature Golf (Atari 2600) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (834)

2. PlayStation (587)

3. SNES (522)

4. PC (DOS) (459)

5. Arcade (404)

6. Sega 32X CD (381)

7. Atari 5200 (269)

8. PC (Windows 95/98) (220)

9. Genesis (61)

10. Atari 8-bit (50)

It's a second week at the top for Villgust on the SNES, which also claims spot #286 in the 1000-minute club with 1180 min. logged to date. However it's the Atari VCS and Kaboom that hold the other two charts, doing what they do best.

BTW this has very little statistical significance (for now), but I've decided to split the 32X CD games -- all five of them -- off into their own category, since they uniquely combine two different systems into one.

EDIT: Updated to add SNES time that was inadvertently omitted (I forgot to post my time for International Tennis Tour).

• Like 6

NES

Boulder Dash: 9 min

Crackout: 20 min

Slalom: 7 min

No Atari 2600 this time. Not even for the HSC. When I had some free time to play Seaquest, I couldn't find the cart. And this is not a game I would like to play with keyboard controls on emulator at all. So I skipped this week's contest.

The NES games were testplays of some new carts I got. I'm not a big fan of Boulder Dash for NES. Liked it a lot on the C64 back in the day. That version wasn't as pretty, but somehow faster and better playable. The cutsie Mario-style overworld in the NES version is really an unnecessary waste of ROM space if you ask me.

Slalom... meh.

Crackout: Better than I expected. I will always believe it's a crime to make a Breakout/Arkanoid game without Paddle controls, but this is alright. Nothing special, though. And it leaves me with a desire to play Arkanoid on the C64 right away.

• Like 3

You played for 15 minutes and got over 130,000. I have played for about 90 minutes and my high score is 71,280. :(

As I mentioned in the HSC thread: I played an NTSC cart on a PAL system, making for a slower game. However, I did score much higher in the long gone past :-). That game is a matter of flow, where loss of lives and extra lives tend to even out if you stay on your toes.

• Like 4

Atari 8-bit:

1K ATASCII Blaster - 15 min.

At Arion Line: Mission Zero - 4 min.

Black Rescue - 19 min.

Blowsub - 9 min.

Bosconian - 9 min.

Codeman - 3 min.

Crazy Cat - 4 min.

CX2626 Minature Golf - 4 min.

Cyctriks - 14 min.

Dimo's Dungeon - 7 min.

Donkey Kong JR Enhanced - 4 min.

Dye - 76 min.

GetUp! - 5 min.

GravZoo - 6 min.

Grim Ritual - 6 min.

Laura - 8 min.

Mini-Slots - 3 min.

Much Blastesz - 6 min.

Muxeso - 2 min.

NYD 2016 Nessie - 7 min.

In this three week round of the Atari 8-bit HSC, the theme is playing homebrews & ported games released in 2016-2017, which is why I have an usually long list of games with just a few minutes each. Some of them I might return to for additional playtime in the upcoming weeks. See the HSC thread for screenshots and comments about each game.

• Like 5

A few different games played, but only a couple timed. I spent most of my time fighting to get Saturn emulators to work. I had some success, so this week, everything's coming up Sega!

Master System

Shinobi - 57 minutes (I'm getting better at this game, but still struggle with the Master System's d-pad.)

Saturn (all emulated)

Albert Odyssey - 297 minutes (Pretty fun game. Some pretty funny parts, too. Lots of times when NPCs have some risque humor.)

In The Hunt - 28 minutes (Such a great looking game, just so much going on. Wish I had the disc.)

Layer Section - 15 minutes (Has a similar feel to Xevious with the cross hairs ahead of the ship for the "ground" targets... I'm similarly bad at it... too often watching the cross hairs and letting a bullet hit the actual ship.)

post-21069-0-19472000-1497211457_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Asteroids - 123 minutes

Entombed - 10 minutes

Seaquest - 136 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Asteroids Deluxe - 37 minutes

Fat Axl - 65 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK:

1) 2600 Asteroids for Bonus at 7800 HSC 2017 Round 13 - Game 1 A/A - 9 rollovers!

2) Seaquest for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6, Week 20 - Game 1 B/B - 448,460 points

3) Fat Axl for 7800 HSC 2017 Round 12 - 200,275 points from ProSystem VCS Console

post-24681-0-30450600-1497214350_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

As I mentioned in the HSC thread: I played an NTSC cart on a PAL system, making for a slower game. However, I did score much higher in the long gone past :-). That game is a matter of flow, where loss of lives and extra lives tend to even out if you stay on your toes.

As far as I know, Atari 2600 NTSC carts don't run much slower on a PAL system than on an NTSC system because they still generate the same number of scanlines, and the scanlines have roughly the same duration on both systems. I don't even know if it's possible for a cart to detect if it runs on a PAL or NTSC system, but even if so, I'm pretty sure the NTSC version of Seaquest hasn't been designed to check if it's running on a PAL system because for PAL a seperate version of the game was done.

Anyway... here are my times for this past week (June 5th through 11th)...

Commodore 64:

Ms. Pac-Man - 33 min.

Online (non-eligible):

Pixelo - 196 min. in 7 sessions

Swarm simulator - 8 min.

My main game this week was, again, Pixelo with its many nonograms. Apart from that, I tried "Swarm simulator" which is an Idle game as you now call it, but it's a bit too dry for me (no graphics!).

Then I replayed the C-64 version of Ms. Pac-Man and topped out at about 27000 points.

• Like 5

My times for the week:

NES:

Super Merio Bros. [hack by monkey] - 2 min.

Super Xevious: Gamp no Nazo - 3 min.

Genesis:

Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble - 5 min.

Gunship - 7 min.

Spirou - 4 min.

Tintin in Tibet - 6 min.

SNES:

International Tennis Tour - 216 min.

Sega 32X:

Night Trap - 796 min.

Beat Night Trap with the best ending (and the help of my wife), and brought my player in International Tennis Tour to #13 in the world.

• Like 5

Looking back at the past couple years of tracker participation I've noticed that every summer right around this time I always get really into the original Wii for a few months, and this year is turning out to be no exception! :lol:

Bv2iQXu.jpg

Ineligible (All played on Nintendo Wii)

DJ Hero 2 - 62 minutes

Ghost Squad - 241 minutes

Mario Kart Wii - 146 minutes

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - 220 minutes

Tomb Raider: Underworld - 180 minutes

Arcade

The House of the Dead 2 (Played on Nintendo Wii) - 121 minutes

PlayStation

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - 248 minutes

Tomb Raider: Chronicles - 106 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
1,324 minutes (22 hours 4 minutes) [475 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Nintendo Wii: 849 minutes

PlayStation: 354 minutes

Arcade: 121 minutes

I'm not sure why exactly it is that every year when the weather starts getting nice I start wanting to play the Wii again, but the Wii has been one of my favorite systems ever since it first came out nearly 11 years ago so I'm not going to question it. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure the Wii is the only home console I've ever owned that has never left my gaming center since I first got it at launch. I've always enjoyed the addition of motion controls to gaming and I think the Wii remote + nunchuck combination pretty much tied with the GameCube controller for the most comfortable gaming control setup I've ever used.

What I really like the most about the Wii though is how versatile the Wii remote is. It's a lovely controller on it's own but there's just so many unique ways to transform it into something else. Put it in a pistol grip and it becomes a pistol, slot it into a steering wheel and it becomes a racing wheel, put it in a turntable and it becomes a DJ mixing station, and so on. You can even turn it into a regular old traditional gamepad by plugging a Classic Controller into it. There's just so much you can do with the Wii remote, and I think I did a little bit of everything this week.

As far as the misses' gaming time for the week goes, she wrapped up her game of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation with full 200.6% completion (the maximum you can get in the game) then played a bit of House of the Dead 2 with me on the Wii. After shooting zombies for a couple days while pondering what to play next she decided on playing through the last Tomb Raider game on the PlayStation that she hadn't played yet, Tomb Raider: Chronicles, most likely due to all the Tomb Raider games she's been watching me play lately.

Speaking of which, I did finish off Tomb Raider: Underworld on the Wii this week. I don't think it was quite as good as the previous game in the series, Tomb Raider: Legend on the GameCube, but the story was still very enjoyable in spite of some serious control and collision detection issues as well as a few game crashing bugs that I encountered along the way. Fortunately the Wii's other Tomb Raider game, Tomb Raider: Anniversary, doesn't seem to suffer from any of the control issues or bugs of Underworld and has been a lot more fun to play. Which is weird considering that Anniversary was released a year prior Underworld, but hey, I'm not going to complain about a game playing and controlling better.

Anyway, I think that about wraps it up for this week! Looking ahead to next week I think it's safe to say that there will be plenty of tomb raiding going on as the misses begins what will no doubt be a fairly lengthy journey through Tomb Raider: Chronicles on the PlayStation and I continue playing through Tomb Raider: Anniversary. I'm still not sure exactly when I'll be resuming my participation in the Atari 2600 High Score Club, but maybe I'll be able to make some time for it next week. Until then, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 4