IGNORED

IntelliXpander module

opcode

86 members have voted

1. 1. What design would work best for the IntelliXpander?

• Make it to match the original Intellivision design
    • Make it to match the Intellivision II design

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

After being on hold for a while, IntelliXpander is moving along again. And we got to the point where we must decide about case design, so we can design the final PCB to fit that.

Unfortunately we can't make multiple versions, that would be insanely expensive. So we must decide if we should go Intv I or Intv II style.

A second question would be about cartridge format. We have both the option to keep using the Intv regular cartridge case or come up with a new cartridge format for the IntelliXpander games. Each has pros and cons. A new format means having two cartridge slots, one for legacy regular games and another for IntelliXpander games. Using the regular Intv cartridge means having a single cartridge slot, for both regular and enhanced games. Since we don't have an easily accessible mold for Intv cartridges, we will have to create one (as I don't want someone dictating me what I can and what I can't release), which means another huge investment. But having a single cartridge shell I can use on both ColecoVision SGM and IntelliXpander games would be a huge money saving and speed up things considerably. In the end it doesn't matter, to run IntelliXpander games you need the IntelliXpander, which would have the new cartridge slot anyways. It is probably more of a purist thing, I am checking if the idea deeply bothers the purist in you.

Your input would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Like 1

Since most peripherals match the II, I vote for that, especially if IntelliVoice is going to be emulated in the expander. That would be super-awesome-deluxe-splendiferous and all of my obsessive- compulsive issues with the original Intellivision Intellivoice not matching everything else would finally be resolved. Huzzah! :)

• Like 5

Since most peripherals match the II, I vote for that, especially if IntelliVoice is going to be emulated in the expander. That would be super-awesome-deluxe-splendiferous and all of my obsessive- compulsive issues with the original Intellivision Intellivoice not matching everything else would finally be resolved. Huzzah! :)

I must agree to match the Inty II, If having two cartridge slots means cost saving for you and in the end cost of new games and expander for us . Then its all good ...

Cheers and thanks for taken this project on..

kylJoy , I have the same issue with the intellivoice ... lol(when not using my inty 1)

Edited by m-crew
  • Like 3

The original Intellivision gets my vote as this is what a real Intellivision looks like.

To me the model two has a cheap look about it although I have never seen one in the flesh as the Australian market bypassed it and went from the original one to the INTV model three.

There is also no problem with the Intellivoice as it is a perfect match.

• Like 1

For something as seriously cool and important as this, the original Intellivision for sure. Model II is an abomination. An aberration. An embarrassment to the platform. Besides the shitty controllers, doesn't even play the entire Intellivision library! :mad: :lol:

Please mold it after the original. It's what most of us legacy Intellivision players use to play to this day. If you must, can always do a small run of the Model II style for collectards to leave in the box. :rolling:

• Like 3

1.) Intellivision II
2.) Regular cart case

The original Intellivision gets my vote as this is what a real Intellivision looks like.

To me the model two has a cheap look about it although I have never seen one in the flesh as the Australian market bypassed it and went from the original one to the INTV model three.

There is also no problem with the Intellivoice as it is a perfect match.

Intellivision II isn't a real Intellivision? :P

As far as durability goes, the II is probably the most reliable of all the Intellivision systems. They have a pretty sturdy feel to them as well, if not as rock-solid as the I/III.

• Like 3

Since all the peripherals, except the System Changer, match the International version of Intellivision I, I have no doubt and voted accordingly.

Let's try to imagine a brown and golden "train" with Master Component as the locomotive, ECS, Intellivoice and IntelliXpander

I want no discord here, yet I owned both forever and yet I love my Intellivision 2 most of all.

That was actually hard to post, yet true!

I had to Edit this because with that being said, I would purchase one either way as I expect most of us probably would.

The true Intellivision lovers here would probably not rule out this great item out either way. :)

Edited by wolfy62
  • Like 2

This is turning into quite the battle royal.

Too bad it can't be as simple as a reversible jacket, so people can flip it one way or the other to suit their design style.

In the first post of the IntelliXpander thread, the ad makes it look like an Intellivoice module.

I never quite liked how the Intellivoice wasn't made to better match the original console's size or shape.

How about if the decision was to go for the original design, then it should be more similar to the PlayCable, so that the size and height more better matches the original console?

playcable.gif

If the decision is to go for the Intv II style, then it should be similar to the ill-fated Intv II Intellivoice module that never saw the light of day?

Voice%201.jpg

Edited by fdr4prez
  • Like 5

I think design wise it should look like the intv ii. And the reason i say this has to do with the ecs. The ecs is available in both brown and gray. You could make a matching xpander that you could use the same mold to produce two colors. Then you could have the best of both worlds.

• Like 7

This is turning into quite the battle royal.

Too bad it can't be as simple as a reversible jacket, so people can flip it one way or the other to suit their design style.

In the first post of the IntelliXpander thread, the ad makes it look like an Intellivoice module.

I never quite liked how the Intellivoice wasn't made to better match the original console's size or shape.

How about if the decision was to go for the original design, then it should be more similar to the PlayCable, so that the size and height more better matches the original console?

playcable.gif

If the decision is to go for the Intv II style, then it should be similar to the ill-fated Intv II Intellivoice module that never saw the light of day?

Voice%201.jpg

The nice thing about the Intellivoice II design is that it looks like two pieces of plastic, and that is a good thing in terms of cost. It isn't just about nice, it needs to be reasonably priced too. And I must confess I have a thing for those boxy designs.

• Like 2