IGNORED

Homebrews No Longer Obtainable?

PFL

Not a homebrew, but I wish I hadn't missed out on the short run of Pink Panther & Power Lords.

Would have liked Evil Magician Returns. I hope that gets a re-release if part II ever gets a cart. If it came with two nice boxes that would be epic.

A year ago Byte Knight mentioned Emr II getting ready to go someone was possibly working on art and manual. Meaning it was ready for the store. I guess Al would have to confirm AS it wasn't in the list of new games.

No, the "Atari Jerks" all constantly follow me around making the same sort of troll posts to show off how they are ignoring me while not actually ignoring me and recruiting others to join in instead of talking shop; they look like drama queens with PMS when they do that. I always prefer to talk shop which is clear from all of the threads they follow me on and I'm not going to keep linking examples, I did it once and now you'll have to use the search function.

You know, it is comments like this, by you, that only throws fuel on the fire. And I can't help it. I always click the "view post anyway." It's like a disease... :dunce:

He made the ROM available. I don't recall if it was only available for Kickstarter backers or everyone.

Just backers I believe, unless someone "leaked" them online. I missed out on that Kickstarter, unfortunately, as it ended right before I jumped on the Atari scene. The flashing LED lights were definitely cool and I would have loved to have owned one and compared it to the AA release. Also the fact he programmed the entire game with 8k assembly, like a bitd release, is impressive, rather than a 32Kb DPC+ homebrew like the on in the AA store.

• Like 2

That's fricken hilarious - we've tried talking shop before, it just doesn't work with somebody who makes shit up all the time.

LOL Spice, because I compared running a gameloop on the ARM to using a SuperComputer? I think it certainly would be in 1983, I'd like to hear an argument to the contrary.

Just backers I believe, unless someone "leaked" them online. I missed out on that Kickstarter, unfortunately, as it ended right before I jumped on the Atari scene. The flashing LED lights were definitely cool and I would have loved to have owned one and compared it to the AA release. Also the fact he programmed the entire game with 8k assembly, like a bitd release, is impressive, rather than a 32Kb DPC+ homebrew like the on in the AA store.

And it runs on the portable Atari because of that, which is pretty cool :)

[...] rather than a 32Kb DPC+ homebrew like the on in the AA store.

Star Castle arcade doesn't use DPC+, but an extended version of the CBS RAMPLUS scheme (the one used in Omega Race, Tunnel Runner and Mountain King) .

Here is the description from the Stella source:

This is an extended version of the CBS RAM Plus bankswitching scheme

supported by the Harmony cartridge.

There are six (or seven) 4K banks and 256 bytes of RAM. The 256 bytes

of RAM can be loaded/saved to Harmony cart flash, which is emulated by

storing in a file.

For 29K versions of the scheme, the first 1K is ARM code

(implements actual bankswitching on the Harmony cart), which is

completely ignored by the emulator.

@author Chris D. Walton

• Like 4

It's not DPC+, but a modified CBS scheme with seven 4k banks (instead of three of the original scheme), so 28k total. It has 256 bytes of extra RAM, which are also part of the historic CBS scheme. The game is 100% 6502, no ARM involved, the only extension is the ability to save the highscore in cartridge flash. Imho, these enhancements over 8k plain make the game no less of a technical achievement ;)

EDIT: Seems Alex beat me to it :)

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 3

The VCS is a supercomputer. heh

Well you'd have KIT in the cartridge if you could transport an ARM back to 1983 considering the main frame on a chip 68030 hadn't been designed yet and doesn't come close to matching it. Not that it's not cool, it's just very powerful. Someone should use the power of the ARM to complete the Night Rider Project.

Cool that the other Star Castle is CBS RAM variant with extra ROM, has anyone tried running it on the Portable?

CBS RAM is compatible with the portable and so is varying the number of ROM banks. Flashback BASIC utilize only two ROM banks to maintain close cross compatibility with the SuperCharger so that you can recompile the games for either format.

imo regarding the vintage Atari formats the SuperCharger has an edge in one respect with the ability to allocate more RAM while CBS RAM has the advantage of more ROM. Flashback BASIC has the VIC-20 edge from bitd, 5K is available for the compiled BASIC program compared to 4K for the SuperCharger version (the other 2K ROM holds the BASIC runtime).

post-30777-0-57971000-1498274882.jpg

Cool that the other Star Castle is CBS RAM variant with extra ROM, has anyone tried running it on the Portable?

Yeah., this guy said it works:

And it runs on the portable Atari because of that, which is pretty cool :)

Oh, wait...

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 2

Nope - he publicly released the ROM (and everything else).

Hey, thanks. I had forgotten about this. Downloading the ISO now. :grin: :thumbsup:

Star Castle arcade doesn't use DPC+, but an extended version of the CBS RAMPLUS scheme (the one used in Omega Race, Tunnel Runner and Mountain King) .

Here is the description from the Stella source:

Okay, sorry, I thought flash saving required ARM code. I also seemed to confuse DPC+ with "Melody Enhanced" or assume all Melody games use it. :dunce:

Do you ever flip yourself off in the mirror? :ponder:

Says the guy with the homer-j-simpson-gives-middle-finger avatar! :lol: :lolblue:

I know you're just replying to the post above yours (that I unfortunately clicked the "view anyway" link, again :roll: ) but I couldn't resist the irony!

Yeah., this guy said it works:

Oh, wait...

I believe you are onto something. SQL has invented a brand new type of logical fallacy here that is beyond description.

DOES NOT COMPUTE!

Marvin-TV-3.jpg

(this is the part where SQL provides random statement to robot and it initiates the self destruct sequence causing the robot's head to spontaneously explode)

Okay, sorry, I thought flash saving required ARM code. I also seemed to confuse DPC+ with "Melody Enhanced" or assume all Melody games use it. :dunce:

:) To clarify, saving to flash indeed requires a call to ARM code; however, no parts of the actual game run or rely on the ARM, and it would work perfectly fine without any ARM calls if the flash storage part was removed (of course, you'd still need to replace the ARM with a discrete logic version of the banking scheme in order to get fully rid of it). DPC+ is another banking type that makes more agressive use of the ARM: it uses it to implement enhanced versions of the DPC datafetchers (used by Pitfall II), and it supports running parts of the game as custom code on the ARM.

Afaik all games that are published via the AA store currently run on melody boards (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but only games that make use the melody ARM beyond emulating a banking scheme carry the label "Melody Enhanced".

Edited by DirtyHairy
  • Like 1