IGNORED

HSC14 Round 12: Shamus: Case II

Always looking for a new game to keep things interesting I often ask myself "What is best game never played in the HSC before?"... perhaps it's...

Shamus: Case II

shamus_2_synapse_k7.jpgshamus_case_ii.png

hope you enjoy this one, it's a crazy mix of Shamus with automatic mapping plus some downright weirdness. I've always wanted to complete it so HSCers are you up for the challenge?

Download XEX from fandal. Atarimania has info, be sure to read the story before playing!! Also has a lot of comments that we should probably digest during this round :ponder:

My old transdisked copy requires the OSA translator utility.

Post if you need help getting it working

Play on Novice?

The antic podcast interview with the author of the Shami... Shamusses... both Shamus games "William Mataga" is a good listen and talks about this game.

Scoring: 1pt for playing, +1pt for 10K, 30K. 1pt each for a key collected or a door opened. More will be added as we discover things :)

Round now ends Tuesday 25th 10am UK time

Join in and post a score!

trbb

Ok, I'll start off with a placeholder score:

Shamus: Case II - 7075 pts

post-5454-0-09408600-1499633737.jpg

For the record, I downloaded the XEX from Fandal's site. At first it seemed to load but lock up on my 130XE, so I was halfways towards Googling for OSA Translator, when all of a sudden it had finished unpacking and the game started. Thus if it seems nothing happens, wait perhaps 15-20 seconds and see if something changes.

I don't know if it is unique to me, but Shamus automatically runs downwards on all ladders. However in the grey area zones, I can move in all directions individually. As noted in the instructions, shoot the cyan bird thrice to turn it into a fireball that wipes out a lot of baddies for you.

I don't know if it is unique to me, but Shamus automatically runs downwards on all ladders. However in the grey area zones, I can move in all directions individually. As noted in the instructions, shoot the cyan bird thrice to turn it into a fireball that wipes out a lot of baddies for you.

Same here on Atari800MacX, I think that's just how the controls work on the screens with ladders.

• Like 3

Took me several attempts to clear the "third room up" just to drop back to the second room. Need to look for another exit from the ladders above and to the left.

Shamus skills don't really transfer here, I am afraid.

post-4219-0-07400200-1499721177.png

An old AA thread with links to maps is available here.

Edited by slx
  • Like 1

I suppose Devwebcl will post a good score on this one, if he once mapped it out. After taking a sneak peek, I see there is a lot of moving back and forth between the rooms, almost like that Zorro game so it is not as linear as it first would look.

In the mean time, I touched up my score to 8460 pts which still is close to nothing.

Edit: That equals to finding the 1st key but never got to use it. I'll see if I spend any more time playing this game later this week to improve this progress.

Edited by carlsson

Oops forgot to pin this post, glad to see a few of you have found it. I'm just updating the current standings with the last two rounds...

We'll keep it low key for this round, but does someone want to come up with an idea for the next round? Perhaps a couple of you have an idea and we can put them on the next poll for us all to pick from?

Playing this for the first time. Visited a few rooms and found a key but didnt get to use it!

18k ish

It's years since I played this but also found the key and... did use it!! 20,230 :)

Got quite a bit further 31740. Not sure the score is neccesarily the best indicator to progress.

Found two keys and opened two doors

Space bar reveals the map i found out. I'll read the instructions tomorrow!

I agree, how about we post maps and look for achievements... or this round can just be for the fun of it, it's a really creepy game - in the pod cast the author didn't seem to rate it but I'm already finding it to immediately have that 'atmosphere' though it is about midnight and probably not one to be played before bedtime :-o I'm not going to look at the on-line maps or any hints and see how I get on.

Map show goal top right and start bottom left, plus white flashing square is current location. Wouldn't it be great if someone updated the original Shamus with the automated mapping 8)

post-19705-0-11622500-1499812124.jpg

"fort apocalypse" you guys :-D

• Like 1

I suppose Devwebcl will post a good score on this one, if he once mapped it out. After taking a sneak peek, I see there is a lot of moving back and forth between the rooms, almost like that Zorro game so it is not as linear as it first would look.

In the mean time, I touched up my score to 8460 pts which still is close to nothing.

hehe, I hope so. I used to play a lot this game in the 80s then I made the map years ago...

• Like 3

Tables will be based on be based on keys and doors: e.g. on my go I had unlocked 1 door and had 1 other key so that's 3 things so 3 pts. Plus some score based points I'll add something to the first post :)

Now that I've figured out how to drop through the floors I'm playing again...

So 2 keys, 2 keyholes by new reckoning (lost three lives right next to the last keyhole moving up and down a ladder :mad:). Hate the "auto-down" on the ladders which makes those levels unnecessarily twitchy and not being able to go down ladders that don't border on a wall/obstacle intuitively without fiddling doesn't help either.

had a bunch of goes today but not reached the 3rd key (though I did find it on a previous go), not figured out how sometimes you can ascend without shooting 2 rounds of stuff - possibly the top things have something to do with this :ponder:

McKong - Might be able to jump onto the ladders also - I keep losing a life on the first screen :mad: :-D

pussakat/anyone else newish to the HSC, is there anything you would like to nominate for play next?

I'm nearly giving up on getting artwork/my game Space Fortress Omega boxed so we might just be playing it here next week :party: