IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2017 (Season 10)

the total number of systems represented only went up by two.

Unless I'm mistaken, we've had a whopping 7 new systems in the past 6 months, so out of the 112 existing systems at the end of last year, 63 of them (56%) have been played this year plus the new ones. I didn't look up how many new entries we had at half time 2016, but it is interesting that despite we have a fixed cut-off at year 2000, we still manage to find new, unique systems from the past which are capable of playing games. And I doubt those 119 systems are entirely inclusive of every possible gaming platform as well, we should probably be able to hit at least 130 in total, perhaps 150 if we dig deep.

• Like 3

Atari 8-bit:

Defender - 19 min.

Famicom:

Galaga - 16 min.

Gradius - 8 min.

Moai Kun - 15 min.

Mega Drive:

Lotus Turbo Challenge - 38 min.

Sord M5:

Jumping Jack - 6 min.

Pooyan - 9 min.

Super Cobra - 14 min.

A mix of Atari HSC, playing some of the games I picked up this spring but haven't got to try before and more. I never got to pick up a PC Engine controller this week, as in order to reach to the storage I would have to pass too many roads filled with American cars that will overheat if they have to brake. Perhaps next week though, when traffic is back to normal.

Moai Kun is a platform puzzle game by Konami only released for the Famicom in 1990, though I noticed repro manufacturers have been putting this on NTSC NES cartridges as well. It is present on some Famicom pirate multicarts under the title Mo.Ay.Jin, but then again most of the titles on those carts are mistyped and sometimes entirely made up.

• Like 4

Atari 2600

Bezerk - 45 min

Carnival - 10 min

Chopper Command - 15 min

Cosmic Ark - 10 min

Demon Attack - 10 min

Atari 7800

Joust - 60 min

Times are approximate this week since I just found this thread. Joust was a new addition to my collection this week, so it got a lot of love. :) Great game, so will likely will be a go to for awhile.

• Like 7

Moai Kun is a platform puzzle game by Konami only released for the Famicom in 1990, though I noticed repro manufacturers have been putting this on NTSC NES cartridges as well.

I played through Moai-Kun earlier this year for the second time (after doing a savestate run in the early 2000s) and had a fun time with it. It'd be nice if it gave out a password every level, but then I suppose it'd be over too quickly. It's kind of a funny cartridge to repro, since language is essentially no barrier.

Times are approximate this week since I just found this thread.

Welcome aboard! :)

• Like 4

Atari 2600:

Kangaroo - 20 minutes

Nintendo 64:

Goldeneye 007 - 600 minutes

Perfect Dark - 350 minutes

Super Mario 64 - 170 minutes

While I didn't get my Activision title times for the tracker, I did get a capture card after nine years of using VHS tapes and giving them to another dude to digitize for capturing footage though so I'm finally catching up to modern technology when it comes to that stuff.

The game of the week is Goldeneye again, as yeah I got that capture card thing and wanted to test it out. The first 150 minutes or so were done using VirtualDub, and that was a pain. Pretty much it would add a good 250ms of input delay and then when you'd play the video back it'd be between 2.66 and 4.5 times slower than it should be - I ended up ditching VirtualDub as that's a load of crap. The next thing I tried was OBS with the recording feature, and while it does work it kept putting my Discord into Streamer mode (dunno if I want to exactly stream, it'd all be old random games but hey maybe there's interest for that) and wouldn't record the audio input to the thing, so that failed. Lastly, following the advice of a big post that dsx made on the elite, I ran with AmaRecTV 3.1 with an addon codec - there's no input delay, it records a smooth 640x480, and the video files work perfectly mind you I have to play them back in VLC as MPC-HC wouldn't take them. So, after I got that set up, I ended up working on my Bunker 1 as I want to see if I can get the tied record for it on Secret Agent.

Being that I played Goldeneye I had to squeeze in a bit of Perfect Dark... well I was wondering why I couldn't play anything on it, it's because I brought the wrong N64 down to my computer and I didn't have the expansion pak - whoops. So, I fixed that issue up and started a playthrough of the game without trying to use speedrunning strategies the whole time - I ended up beating it after about 240 minutes because I kept getting lost. The rest of the playtime was with dad, and we played the Counter-Operative mode - he's pretty good at screwing me up,

To finish off N64 I played a bit of Super Mario 64 - it almost took me three hours, but I beat it with 120 stars so I was happy with myself. Funnily enough I ended up breaking my last N64 controller on this game at the 112 star mark - I'm pretty hard on the joysticks, and I ended up ruining the stick so I need to get like 10 replacement sticks to repair all of my controllers... I kinda wish I could get something like a metal joystick because of this issue, but since I can't I'll just get more pointer sticks and hopefully they'll last a month or two each.

Atari 2600 got dragged out for a little at the end, some dudes were talking about Kangaroo so I said "hey I have that one" and went off to go play it... because I didn't feel like getting my proper Competition Pro or Slik Stik I ended up getting mad because I'm not a fan of the CX-40 by any means. It's a fun game, but dang I need to play with a better controller next time I try.

So, the Famicom is supposed to be here any time next week according to tracking and there's one game in specific, Daiva, that I got with it which I'm a bit excited for - I own Daiva 1-5 and 7 on the respective personal computers but never owned 6, so if that gets here be like wednesday or thursday then I may do a Daiva series playthrough. Past that, eh not much... the PiDP kits shipped so that'll be good fun, maybe do a bit of Spacewar or something on those when we get them together. I'll probably play more Goldeneye and try to improve on past records which I haven't worked on in forever like Aztec and Egypt.

• Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (July 3rd through 9th)...

Colecovision:

Steamroller - 272 min. in 10 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Red Cell - 2 min.

Sprout - 26 min.

My main game this week was, not for the first time, Steamroller on the Colecovision which I played in several shorter sessions of mostly one game each. I didn't quite manage to reach my target score of 35,000 points (the standard Activision patch score) this time.

Apart from that, I only played online games. In Red Cell you control a green object and have to crash smaller red objects into the outer wall of a cell in which you're acting. This is somewhat similar to the Atari 2600 and Arcade game "Reactor".

Sprout is a bit different, it's kind of a graphic adventure game where you control a sprout which aims to reach the forest at the right edge of the playfield by repeatedly executing certain standard actions like turning into a tree or a rolling ball. Depending on the location you are in, some of the actions don't get you forward at all, and some transport you to other locations. Some also trigger sorts of switches that change where another action will get you, and it's only by that you are able to reach your destination. The game is beautifully drawn and also has authentic ambience sounds.

• Like 5

TIMES TO ADD

Atari 2600:

Copter Commander - 20 minutes

Cosmic Commuter - 135 minutes

Enduro - 22 minutes

Pac-Man - 19 minutes

Atari 5200:

QIX - 6 minutes

EVIDENCES OF THE WEEK (all for 2600 NEW HSC Season 6, Weeks 24-25):

1) Cosmic Commuter Game 1BB - Score 515,000

2) Cosmic Creeps Default - Score 79,700

3) Copter Commander Bonus - Score 1184

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

Sometimes I get very into one system... this time, I played several systems, but then realized I only played two different genres: Shmup and Racing. Oh well...

NES

Lifeforce - 25 min (I got this one off the shelf after trying the TG-16 version. Still a great game. Used the NES Advantage, which is much nicer than trying to use a d-pad like on the emulated TG-16 version.)

TurboGrafx-16/PCE

Daisenpu (emulated) - 11 min (As I said before, there seems to be nothing but ground targets in this one. A fun shmup featuring a Zero-ish type plane, with good music.)

Kyuukyoku Tiger (emulated) - 7 min (This one is pretty tough. I didn't get very far, still, but I have a tendency to reset after a death early on, so that's part of it.)

Salamander (emulated) - 26 min (An excellent version of this game, but still tough. I reset this one a lot. I just kept dying for stupid stuff like running into walls trying to get powerups or whatever...)

SNES

F-Zero (emulated) - 13 min (I haven't really played this one since the SNES was new and my brother-in-law and I rented it. It's okay, but will require practice to get the handling down. I like the Wipeout series on the Playstation better as far as futuristic hover racing goes.)

Dreamcast

Sega GT - 33 min (This game could have been great, but I never feel like I am in control. There are some corners that I feel like I will go off the road no matter how much I slow down, and then, if I make a turn, I fishtail down the entire next straight because I can't get it to go straight again. Reading reviews afterwards, it seems I'm not alone in not liking the controls. Need to get some different racing games for the DC.)

Ineligible

Wii

Mario Kart Wii - 142 min (Finally played it after getting it almost a year ago. Played for a couple hours straight and won all the 50cc Grand Prix races/trophies. Didn't get "A" ratings on all of them, but still never lost a race. Pretty fun, but the Wii is on the main TV in the living room, so I don't know when/if I'll be able to put much more time into it.)

Xbox One

Song of the Deep - 87 min (Played this after seeing several good reviews of it online. I had liked the look of it and when I saw it was only $5, I went for it. It is a pretty fun game and I'll be working on this one more this week for sure.)

• Like 5

My times for the week:

Genesis:
California Games - 25 min.
SNES:
Andre Agassi Tennis - 95 min.
No Escape - 4 min.
Nintendo 64:
Bomberman 64 (JPN, trans. to English by Zoinkity) - 331 min.
Dezaemon 3D - 3 min.
Ms. Pac-Man: Maze Madness - 10 min.
Most of my gaming this week was spent on the Japanese-exclusive Bomberman 64, which is a completely different game from the US Bomberman 64 (known as Baku Bomberman in Japan), and is sometimes unofficially called "Bomberman 64: Arcade Edition". It's a fun, unpretentious little number that plays and looks like an SNES game, which is fine by me, and the fan translation is well done and feels like the real deal. So far I've completed the main game several times, though I haven't completed every route, and have 29 of 30 medals from the "Bomberman Park" mode.
Otherwise I nosed around in a few games and beat Andre Agassi Tennis on the SNES (again).
  • Like 5

Is this week going to be a stand-up fight, sir, or another bug hunt? :P

vbZ4ybL.jpg

Ineligible

Ghost Squad (Nintendo Wii) - 118 minutes

The Pinball Arcade (Android) - 4 minutes

Tomb Raider: Anniversary (Nintendo Wii) - 104 minutes

Game Boy

Boggle Plus - 7 minutes

Metroid II: Return of Samus - 338 minutes

PlayStation

Final Doom - 312 minutes

Total Play Time This Week
883 minutes (14 hours 43 minutes) [657 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week

Game Boy: 345 minutes

PlayStation: 312 minutes

Nintendo Wii: 222 minutes

Android: 4 minutes

The answer is: Both! This week was a 100% stand-up fight for the misses, who spent all week engrossed in the TNT and Plutonia Experiment chapters of Final Doom on the PlayStation, while I went on a long and thoroughly enjoyable bug hunt in the Game Boy classic Metroid II: Return of Samus. In terms of overall gaming time this week was quite a bit smaller than usual for us with just shy of 15 hours logged, but we did make up for it by logging a fair bit more tracker eligible gaming time than we have as of late.

At this point I think my yearly summer fling with the Wii is starting to wane, and I'm once again finding myself drawn back into playing what have long been my favorite systems to play and collect for: The Game Boy and Game Boy Color. It started with a short game of Boggle Plus on a bus ride (which quickly reminded me of how much I've always liked the Game Boy) then before long I found myself doing a complete play through of Metroid II: Return of Samus. I ended up playing through 3 additional games on the Game Boy Color this morning as well, but for the purposes of the tracker I set my own personal cut off time for each week to Sunday night at 11:59 PM; so those 3 GBC games will find their way into next week's tracker post. I've got another longer GBC game lined to play through next week as well.

I think that about covers everything for this week! Until next time, happy gaming and I hope you're all having a great summer with lots of fun in the sun! :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Don't know if this will count for last week or if I am just the first poster for this week.

Been out of the loop a while, so here is what I have been doing lately (not much)

TI-99/4A:

Dark Maze (120 minutes)

Lemonade Stand (160 minutes) *

NeverLander (120 minutes)

Snake Plissken (50 minutes)

TI Trek (40 minutes)

Tunnels of Doom (480 minutes)

Wizard's Doom (240 minutes)

DOS:

Magic Candle (90 minutes)

Ultima IV (150 minutes)

Classic Mac:

Sim City 2000 (120 minutes)

Game Boy:

Super Mario Land (30 minutes)

Baseball (180 minutes)

Game Boy Color:

DK Country (75 minutes)

TRS-80:

Dungeons of Daggorath (40 minutes)

*Reworking code for new release

Edited by Opry99er
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 27, running from July 3 - 9. We logged 6378 minutes of eligible play, playing 60 games on a total of 19 systems.

Top 10:

1. Phantasy Star IV (Genesis) - 660

2. GoldenEye 007 (N64) - 600

3. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 480

4. Perfect Dark (N64) - 350

5. Metroid II: Return of Samus (Game Boy) - 338

6. Bomberman 64 (JPN, Eng. trans. by Zoinkity) [aka Arcade Edition] (N64) - 331

7. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 324

8. Final Doom (PlayStation) - 312

9. SteamRoller (ColecoVision) - 272

10. Wizard's Doom (TI-99/4A) - 240

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Tunnels of Doom [Quest of the King] (TI-99/4A) - 480

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 324

3. SteamRoller (ColecoVision) - 272

4. Wizard's Doom (TI-99/4A) - 240

5. Cosmic Creeps (Atari 2600) - 210

6. Cosmic Commuter (Atari 2600) - 201

7. Lemonade Stand (TI-99/4A) - 160

8. Dark Maze (TI-99/4A) - 120

8. Never-Lander (TI-99/4A) - 120

10. Joust (Atari 7800) - 60

Top 10 systems:

1. N64 (1464)

2. TI-99/4A (1210)

3. Atari 2600 (955)

4. Genesis (723)

5. Game Boy (555)

6. PlayStation (312)

7. ColecoVision (272)

8. PC (DOS) (240)

9. Mac OS Classic (120)

10. SNES (112)

In a robust Week 27, a game that originally cost 100 bucks sneaks past one that brings you 007, as Phantasy Star IV takes the #1 spot. However the Nintendo 64 still grabs the top system crown, while the top pre-NES game is Tunnels of Doom on the TI-99/4A, so it's a "three wins, three systems" kinda week.

Meanwhile spot #291 in the 1000-minute club goes to Final Doom and its 1151 minutes logged to date.

(Hmmm, this week the Top 10 had Final Doom, Kaboom, Tunnels of Doom, Wizard's Doom...doom, boom, doom, doom...what is this, the Mines of Moria?)

• Like 5

Atari 2600:

Atari Climber - 31 min.

Bowling - 6 min.

Save Mary - 18 min.

Shield Shifter - 4 min.

Waterworld - 3 min.

Yar's Revenge - 5 min.

Atari 8-bit:

Shamus Case II - 25 min.

Shamus is of course due to HSC.

All the 2600 action was on my Flashback Portable, which I brought to a day trip to Drammen, Norway. I spent a good part of the day walking in the woods (!) through uphills that I thought never would end, and much questionable signs pointing in all sorts of directions with an increasing distance to the goal the longer you moved into that direction. But the view once I got to the top was great and well worth the walk.

mOKteDF.jpg

GuoXDUW.jpg

Eventually I took a train back to Oslo and spent a few hours walking in the city too, in the sea of people who were enjoying a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. If there is one tag I would give to Oslo, it is #modest-luxury - it is beautiful and expensive without being overly flashy.

• Like 5

ATARI 2600 - only Activision games!

Barnstorming - 4 minutes

Beamrider - 25 minutes

Chopper Command - 3 minutes

Cosmic Commuter - 10 minutes

Crackpots - 28 minutes

Dolphin - 23 minutes

Dragster - 5 minutes

Freeway - 5 minutes

Frostbite - 10 minutes

H.E.R.O. - 8 minutes

Megamania - 8 minutes

OINK! - 10 minutes

Pitfall! - 8 minutes

Pitfall II: Lost Caverns - 12 minutes

Plaque Attack - 10 minutes

Pressure Cooker - 10 minutes

River Raid - 5 minutes

Seaquest - 10 minutes

Spider Fighter - 10 minutes

Stampede - 6 minutes

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

Here are my times for this past week (July 10th through 16th)...

Channel F:

Pac-Man - 223 min. in 6 sessions

Colecovision:

Centipede - 21 min.

Frantic - 114 min.

Steamroller - 198 min. in 5 sessions

Online (non-eligible):

Elephant Quest - 11 min.

At first I continued to play Steamroller until I managed to reach my target score of 35,000 points (the typical Activision patch score). Then I continued my streak of Pac-Man variants by taking a deeper look at the Channel F homebrew version of Pac-Man.which I find to be pretty challenging. It's also got a somewhat increasing difficulty, most notably, from Round 4 on all the ghosts immediately leave the ghost house at the start of each round while before that they only leave one by one. Oh, and the blue time gets shorter. The game is also a bit incalculable in that if you eat a power pill, the ghosts sometimes, but not always reverse direction. I didn't manage to get beyond Round 6.

After "beating" Steamroller, I also replayed two other Colecovision games, Frantic and Centipede. Centipede is notable for having very fluid animation, unlike the C-64 version (Centpede Arcade anyone?). I got to the 2nd level in Frantic, but some screens on it start out very dangerous in that it's instant death if you start out with a wrong move..

Finally, today I tried an online game called Elephant Quest where you play an elephant running and jumping around in underground caves, destroying enemies and going through doors while collecting various objects. You can also employ a laser (!) against enemies.

• Like 5

Nintendo 64:

Goldeneye 007 - 300 minutes

PDP-8

Adventure - 74 minutes

Hammurabi - 30 minutes

Spacewar - 20 minutes

Well, no Famicom so no Daiva playthrough but hey it's shipping from Japan, usually it takes two months - would've been surprising if it was only three weeks as I didn't pay for EMS.

So, while Goldeneye may have had the most playtime it was by no means the staple of this week for me - that belongs to my little PDP-8 replica. These came in super fast from being shipped from Europe - all of three days to show up after it was sent out - and Dad and I started on putting these together that night. It wasn't a hard kit by any means - it's all through-hole soldering, with the only point of frustration being lining up the switches. I can't say that it's completely done yet - I need to file down the edge of the case a bit so the acrylic can sit flush with the case instead of bowing out slightly at the bottom, and I need to get a little piece of wood to put behind the upper-left corner so that the board sits flat in the case.

So, gaming wasn't the main priority on the PDP, but it was a thing. One thing that's cool about these kits is that depending on how you set the IF switches you can boot the system into OS/8 via DECTape or a hard disk cartridge, the RIM loader, TSS/8, Spacewar, and a few other bits. So, most of this was screwing with OS/8.

Adventure is always a classic, so it was the first I played - I've beat this on the Apple II before under the title "Colossal Cave Adventure" but that was a while back. The lights look really cool when the thing is playing the game which is a bonus.

post-39575-0-18797500-1500248156.gif

After Adventure, I screwed around with FORTRAN for a bit (I need to learn Fortran now...) and then moved on to attempting to load Focal '69 - eventually after many attempts and realizing that my Focal image wasn't very good and getting another, I got into Focal. So, gaming with Focal means Hamurabi - it's a simple little management game from '68, but it was a good bit of fun to screw with.

Finally, games-wise, I got around to messing with Spacewar. After doing this, I realized that I kinda want to make something like the original controllers - big wood boxes with four buttons - as it could be cool to screw with. I played dad for a while and then I ended up finding a friend and having them connect to the PDP through the internet and played them - it was a lot of fun.

So yeah, the eventual goal is going to be to get this thing mounted properly and then Dad said he was going to find some old computer hardware - apparently he knows a few people with some old X/Y displays, paper tape readers, etc. laying around - so that we could get these things decked out. Someone has a video of using theirs with a Teletype which is really cool, but even if I was able to find a Teletype I don't know how open I'd be to trying to maintain that beast as it would be a mess.

Past all of that, well yeah Goldeneye. I worked on Egypt, but not for all that long compared to the usual as the PDP was more interesting. I honestly can't remember much other than almost throwing a controller because I kept missing the first shot on the Baron.

So yeah, that was a lot of fun. Next week will probably be a little more PDP depending on what I can find - I love this little box. Whenever the Famicom comes in you'll see a bunch of old Japanese computers from me again as Daiva will be brought out, so that'll be anytime within the next two months as long as Customs isn't holding my stuff up for stupid reasons like they usually do.

Edited by BurritoBeans
  • Like 6