IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So, it's a... case? A dead sexy little case, but what exactly is going on in there? Do you have to bring your own Raspberry Pi?

You mean like a kit? You buy the case, and you install your own hardware? Not likely. This is a plug-n-play subscription console made for non-techies.

Why? Facebook is a far larger and more important audience. It's real social media as opposed to a BBS-style message forum. Reaching thousands and millions more. Otherwise.. well.. they'd have come here.

Why not do both? It would be a smart move on their part to chat with the enthusiasts here, and with the people that have kept the brand alive.

Why not do both? It would be a smart move on their part to chat with the enthusiasts here, and with the people that have kept the brand alive.

Well yes it would. I would tend to guess that each enthusiast here has 10x the knowledge of a facebooker. As far as keeping the brand alive.. The new atari would prefer to continue believing they are doing it.

And another reason, we may be too critical and that could cause a downward spiral in a product. Not wholly unlike the Coleco Chameleon. If there were no time limits and no constraints would it eventually have come to fruition? Somehow?

• Like 2

They know about this thread and others out there.

You aren't missing much....just picture a modern router/modem, slightly pyramid in nature, with a woodgrain sticker along the front panel.

Wouldn't be great if it was actual wood and not a sticker or laminated plastic...

Seems like bluetooth would be an easy thing to add...

• Like 1

They don't have a product.

They have a rendering of a vague idea.

I think that's likely.

I wonder if these photos are of an actual item, or if they are photo-shopped?

That and the crowdfunding thing make me feel that this will never actually come out.

They should just give the Atari license to Al & AA. He could do so much better with it.

Maybe it's a console that only exists in a VR world?

That would be kinda innovative! :P There is a VR app on Gear VR that lets you play old arcade machines.

I have RetroArcade on my HTC Vive, and while exploring through some of the pre-made arcades, I know there is a NES you can pick up cartridges and put in for games, but I'm sure someone could add old Atari systems to it as well, since it just uses the libretro libraries.

Well...I gotta say that I will lean towards the woodgrain design as people will look at it and say, "That's an Atari!" The red & black design looks more modern but comes off as too "Jaguar-ish" for my taste.

If this will be Android based, even with a x86 SOC, then I would love to be able to run Moonlight on it and use it to stream my PC games along side using emulators as well. I'm sorry but I've always fantasized about having a modern console made by Atari even if I had to customize it myself...

• Like 1

I think I would buy one unless for one reason... if they do something foolish like lock down the boot loader and put Windows 10 S on it, then hope to sell all their games through the Windows Store.... otherwise if it's a PC in a cool case, I may have reason to buy such a thing.

Heres my wishlist for the AtariBox:

1. Plays all old carts from 2600, 7800, atari 8-bit, etc

2. Has stella built in and Plays roms off an sd card slot

3. Has virtual console type digital store to buy new games

4. Will grant me 3 wishes on command.

Rub the wood grain and a Genie pops out?

What would be nice is a SteamOS that is customized with a skin and launchers for all the emulators (hatari, atari800, stella, etc). Though I think I've looked around and couldn't find a Linux emulator for the 7800, except for libretro library.

• Like 1

So, it's a... case? A dead sexy little case, but what exactly is going on in there? Do you have to bring your own Raspberry Pi?

It's all in the lighting. Everything's sexy in the dark.

Reminds me of a US robotics modem!

This is the AtariBox in the harsh light of day.

post-2410-0-29763300-1500311965.jpg

• Like 5