IGNORED

Season 6 - The New HSC - Weeks 28/29 = Horizontal Shooters

S.BAZ

Today was my first day getting to actually try any of these games, so I started with Super Cobra. My score is nothing great - so far. I'll try the others tomorrow and post some scores for them. Hopefully I'll get better.

(Difficulty B/B)

Super Cobra: 12470

attachicon.giffullsizeoutput_9c6.jpeg

Dude that's a great score. No offence, but I can't stand it when competitors talk about how crappy their scores are when they're twice what I've been able to achieve so far.

• Like 1

Dude that's a great score. No offence, but I can't stand it when competitors talk about how crappy their scores are when they're twice what I've been able to achieve so far.

You know - now that I think about it, I don't like it either when people publicly complain about their video game scores, their appearance, their income, job, etc. when they're actually doing at least OKAY while there are others trying to achieve at least what the complainers have. It strikes me as false modesty on the part of the complainers. So, I apologize for my own use of this type of behavior. At the time I posted the comment I wasn't even considering that it might be received negatively. I only had in mind that my own score at the time (and still BTW) was utterly dwarfed by the top three scores which had thus far been posted.

Thanks for the compliment on the score BTW. I appreciate it.

• Like 4

FYI to all- especially S. Baz: I found some kind of glitch while playing Supra Cobra via Stella, using the ROM I got from AtariAge. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I think I pressed the return key very quickly after I had spent my last life and the Continue option came up. What happened next was that my chopper was not visible on the screen at all, yet the screen continued to scroll and the points continued to accumulate. It looks like you can achieve a max of 22800 this way. It's NOT a legitimate score, of course. As you will notice in the first short video clip I'm including, there is no chopper, but the screen continues to scroll and the points accumulate. The second video is when the score no longer accumulates but the screen still scrolls. (All: Please forgive me if the thing I just described is already common knowledge - it wasn't to me! Oh, I also don't know how to download video other than I did. I just uploaded my iPhone clips from iPhoto.)

(Difficulty B/B)

Super Cobra: (No true score, just an FYI)

IMG_1115.MOV

IMG_1117.TRIM.MOV

Edited by DanielJSorenson
  • Like 1

You know - now that I think about it, I don't like it either when people publicly complain about their video game scores, their appearance, their income, job, etc. when they're actually doing at least OKAY while there are others trying to achieve at least what the complainers have. It strikes me as false modesty on the part of the complainers. So, I apologize for my own use of this type of behavior. At the time I posted the comment I wasn't even considering that it might be received negatively. I only had in mind that my own score at the time (and still BTW) was utterly dwarfed by the top three scores which had thus far been posted.

Thanks for the compliment on the score BTW. I appreciate it.

No problem. I realize now that I've done the same thing in the past; it really is out of personal frustration with one's own personal achievement, not a diss on anyone else's. I hope I didn't come across as harsh. The important thing is to have fun.

Edited by AtariWarlord
  • Like 1

I found some kind of glitch while playing Supra Cobra via Stella, using the ROM I got from AtariAge. I'm not sure exactly what I did, but I think I pressed the return key very quickly after I had spent my last life and the Continue option came up. What happened next was that my chopper was not visible on the screen at all, yet the screen continued to scroll and the points continued to accumulate.

That's right I forgot! sometimes the score will start accumulating during the "attract mode" after your game is finished. Be sure to record your score before that happens.

Tip for Super Cobra: In the stage with the floating fireballs, if you destroy them faster, more and more will appear. So you can press for more points in that stage by timing your shots to destroy as many fireballs as you can.

I don't enjoy Exocet very much. The ship seems TOO responsive and death is too easy. Furthermore, after a certain point the score adds a sixth digit to your score (which makes you think your score is really great) and then it takes that digit away when you die and need to take a screenshot. The game seems a little wacky and unfinished. What is the plot and backstory to the game? What is the object/goal of the game? These are things that might add at least some enjoyment. Well, here's my score (below). I don't know if I'll willingly play this one again.

(Difficulty B/B)

Exocet: 11090

post-47498-0-76531200-1501933494_thumb.jpeg

Super Cobra: 7180

post-9499-0-54517400-1501983802.png

Planet Patrol: 5460

post-9499-0-89540400-1501983820.png

Exocet: 1210

post-9499-0-65323600-1501983845.png

Sorcerer: 1890

post-9499-0-50333200-1501983868.png

I liked Planet Patrol the best of all of these. Aiming shots for proper collision detection was a little iffy, but on the whole, I think it was the best game of the bunch. It is akin to how I prefer to smell horse dung to that of other animal dung. I mean, it's dung, but it's kind of wholesome.

Edited by Piggles