IGNORED

now my Intellivision is acting up

bradhig1

Can't go anywhere today. Mom's KIA Sorento is having electrical problems. The Alternator and battery were replaced after it died friday night and yesterday it started dying again. It's in the shop right now. Otherwise I would want to go to office depot and look for a new cable.

I got the ribbon cable off the main board except for a small part connected to the metal connector. I don't wanna deal with anymore soldering ,replacing , and repairing it just should work not break. The connector for the ribbon cable is still on the power board.

Easy fix.. Just desolder the pins on both ends, from the motherboard and from the power supply board. I used an old IDE hard drive cable to replace my ribbon cable, which looked just like the frayed one pictured. Somebody on the Intellivision Invasion facebook group replaced his in a very clean, professional way.. It looked awesome, better than factory. Wish I had all the part numbers and whatnot but if you search on there, it should pop up. I'll see if I can find it when I get a lil time to search. ;)

Not easy fix. soldered new wires in place and tried to fix that stupid 12 voltage regulator and nothing. Board around voltage regulator is ruined. I can't repair it. I can't even repair my hit and missile game and its in the trash. Anxiety gets in the way. Stop telling me its an easy fix when it doesn't work.

No it is not. For those of us that have some years of experience working with circuitry and stuff - that looks like little more than a clean-up job. If you aren't skilled in the art of repair (and that's ok) seek someone that is.

I would hope someone steps up to the plate and helps you out. I would, but I am preparing for the eclipse and don't have time to take on a repair.

I screwed up. The first time I tried to solder that voltage regulator the solder got on the iron rather then on the board. I probably screwed up the wires going between the boards. I managed to fix my coleco telstar arcade when a wire came lose on the driving pot. I wanted to fix it myself but it always goes wrong. I didn't even put any of that stuff between the voltage regulators and the heat sinks because I don't have any.

Edited by bradhig1

Not to be blunt or a toughie. Certain skills, tools, and materials are required to fix these old beasties. You either have them or you do not. If you do not, you seek help, or practice and learn and acquire them.

It's the nature of the hobby. Sooner or later all our consoles will need some sort of fixes or maintenance. They're 40 years old already!

It can be very frustrating trying to repair electronics - especially soldering / de-soldering when first learning. Also, having good tools and equipment makes a world of difference.

Way back when, before I had a quality soldering iron and de-solder station, trying to do most anything was an exercise in frustration.

As others have said, the damage you've shown is repairable. But if you don't feel comfortable doing it, that's fine. There are plenty of folks here who can - myself included. Although in my case, I don't have a great deal of free time to do it. But if no one else steps up, and you aren't in a big rush, let me know.

Sent from my Keyboard Component using Jack's Conversational Intelli-talk cassette

• Like 1

Brad...

I've not got as much time as I did when I fixed your H-6er sometime back. But if you want to send it my way, I'm happy to look at it and see what I can do for just the cost of parts and shipping? From there I can give you an idea on what it might cost and if you would rather not then I'm happy to send it back. But I don't believe it will take much to repair it and get it working again and you are only in the next state above me. Actually you're only about 3.5 hours North of me.

Very gently and no alcohol. A cloth and a tactical eraser - an eraser small enough to get in-between the traces. The traces are easily eroded. Then poof! That's that..

From the looks of it the left sheet at the 10 o'clock position looks totally worn away. Depending what's left it may still work. If you do clean them, I suggest practicing on some junk or something first.

Sometimes they can be drawn back in - I've had good luck with a conductive pen. And it took patience. And it was for a keyboard mylar sheet. Heh. First time I tried soldering them - whooops!

---

Those are so incredibly cheap to make there's no convincing companies NOT to use them. It also speaks to the specified design life of 3 years for that console.

---

Your best bet is to find some controllers and cannibalize new flex circuits. that's what they're called.

---

Anyone ever notice that more and more electronics are designed to be stamped together? And that the factory is like this one big-ass 3d-printer that stacks things?

Edited by Keatah

• 5 weeks later...

Wanted to update this that Brad's Intellivision is back in working order. Also looking at the mylar flex from his controller, and while it did clean up nicely, the actual material is cut through and the surface actually rubbed oiff. So..really no way to salvage that.

Wanted to update this that Brad's Intellivision is back in working order. Also looking at the mylar flex from his controller, and while it did clean up nicely, the actual material is cut through and the surface actually rubbed oiff. So..really no way to salvage that.

Did you help him out? You're a fine gentleman if you did.

Yes the conductive material on that mylar insert looks to have been worn through. I'd be interested to see if conductive pen could fix it.

- J