IGNORED

Not sure where to drop this / ataribox

dneedham

https://www.ataribox.com/

It's back up, for better or worse :lol:

BAHAHAHA This is hilarious though, when the marketing video on their front page concludes note some of the thumbnails for related vides :-o :rolling:

This shit writes itself lol.

post-10336-0-53547700-1502904935_thumb.jpg

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 3

Just reminds me how much I am starting to hate youtube. Big ol' FAILED by someone who assumes it has failed without even waiting for more than a tease. Does this individual see a girl wink at him and then yell FAILED before a relationship even starts?

Yeah I really get tired of all the nerd rage and negativity that surrounds pretty much any retro product these days. Not that I have a ton of faith in Atari today, mind you, and I think everyone is somewhat skeptical, but I will wait to see what it is before passing judgment.

• Like 2

https://www.ataribox.com/

It's back up, for better or worse :lol:

BAHAHAHA This is hilarious though, when the marketing video on their front page concludes note some of the thumbnails for related vides :-o :rolling:

This shit writes itself lol.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

My side literally hurts from laughing at this...

• Like 1

I will buy Ataribox and I hope someone will put Linux on it and Atari XE/XL, 2600/5200/7800 and STe/falcon emulator.

Maybe as gaming distro similar to RaspberryPIs with simple IMG to SD method.Also internet as second joystick/player2 for more fun.

So I will put it near my TV and have everything on one place...Probably dual boot to android or what will be inside...

I don't see what's funny. Youtube selects other related videos using its own algorithms and what you see is partly based on content you have watched in the past.

For example, I didn't have the Hulk or the guy in the beret on my screen after I watched the video.

It's funny because the one video explains why Atari Box will fail and the other one is a video of the top six x-rated video games for the 2600.

• Like 1

I will buy Ataribox and I hope someone will put Linux on it and Atari XE/XL, 2600/5200/7800 and STe/falcon emulator.

Maybe as gaming distro similar to RaspberryPIs with simple IMG to SD method.Also internet as second joystick/player2 for more fun.

So I will put it near my TV and have everything on one place...Probably dual boot to android or what will be inside...

Curious, why wouldn't you just find a non-working 2600 and shove either a raspberry pi or a mini-ITx board inside of it and use that as a emulator system. Easy enough to create a retroarch system like you want, hardest part would be to get the parts to fit nicely inside a case and hack it up so it looks nice.

• Like 1

Curious, why wouldn't you just find a non-working 2600 and shove either a raspberry pi or a mini-ITx board inside of it and use that as a emulator system. Easy enough to create a retroarch system like you want, hardest part would be to get the parts to fit nicely inside a case and hack it up so it looks nice.

I think this "hardest part" answers exactly the question of why someone might be interested in buying an Ataribox (assuming it is such a machine as speculated). Some people aren't able to get the parts to fit nicely and keep things from looking like a hacked up mess. Others, that may have the ability, might rather just pay someone to make this type of device for them because of lack of time for or lack of interest in working on such a project or just not having interest in hacked setups.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1

I don't see what's funny. Youtube selects other related videos using its own algorithms and what you see is partly based on content you have watched in the past.

For example, I didn't have the Hulk or the guy in the beret on my screen after I watched the video.

Half the time Youtube recommends me my own stuff, because I'm always that first guy to watch my own video after upload because I tend to critique myself. But because I watch my own shit YT recommends it to me after I've seen it (despite my having high quality originals to watch at my leisure on my hard drive), and I can tell by the publicly accessible view counts my own videos, the algorithm they use isn't recommending them to anyone else... :dunce:

Anyone else get this effect where it recommends stuff you've already seen, or even created yourself? Otherwise I must be famous and just don't know it yet... 8)

I think this "hardest part" answers exactly the question of why someone might be interested in buying an Ataribox (assuming it is such a machine as speculated). Some people aren't able to get the parts to fit nicely and keep things from looking like a hacked up mess. Others, that may have the ability, might rather just pay someone to make this type of device for them because of lack of time for or lack of interest in working on such a project or just not having interest in hacked setups.

I am kind of in the middle. While I don't mind doing the soldering and hacking around on things, when it comes to what sticks out of the case and case mods, I definitely prefer to not hack up the case. I have seen some mods that look absolutely dreadful, while others look like masterpieces, as if it was intentional design from the manufacturer. Then I have seen my Falcon, which currently has wores all over the place because I haven't shortened them... working toward a 3d printer at some point to clean up some of the mess.

Go figure for my 130XE, I just sent it across the pond to get it the full overhaul.... damn import fees are straight up banditry....

Half the time Youtube recommends me my own stuff, because I'm always that first guy to watch my own video after upload because I tend to critique myself. But because I watch my own shit YT recommends it to me after I've seen it (despite my having high quality originals to watch at my leisure on my hard drive), and I can tell by the publicly accessible view counts my own videos, the algorithm they use isn't recommending them to anyone else... :dunce:

Anyone else get this effect where it recommends stuff you've already seen, or even created yourself? Otherwise I must be famous and just don't know it yet... 8)

Usually the videos suggested to me considt of the ones I have already seen, ones similar to others I have already seen, two or three that have some moatly naked chick that isn't actually in the video, and random conspiracy theory videos.... I need a duckduckgo equivalent of youtube... one friend sends you something and forever those type of videos are recommended to you... and I don't even login there 99% of the time, it just tracks IP.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to apologize for starting this thread. I was overly excited about something that isnt realistic. Based on the little info about it, and the people who are designing it. Most likely it will be an overpriced raspberry pi. I was being nostalgic about what the product could be. My apologies again.

I just wanted to apologize for starting this thread. I was overly excited about something that isnt realistic. Based on the little info about it, and the people who are designing it. Most likely it will be an overpriced raspberry pi. I was being nostalgic about what the product could be. My apologies again.

You sound depressed. No reason to give up hope on something just because there is good reason to be highly skeptical. There is still a lot of time between now and when the target delivery window is. A lot can happen in that time. Of course, if you're hoping for a direct competitor to any existing consoles or set top boxes out there rather than something that almost certainly will predominantly be its own thing, you should probably continue to temper that hope.

About 2 weeks ago some more info was posted on the German heise.de newssite (google translate is your friend): https://heise.de/-3843157

AMD processor with integrated graphics, Linux based, price 250-300 USD sounds similar to the Steam Box concept.

The article mentioned that info is based on a press release from Ataribox, but unfortunately it's not linked in the article.

Edit: what's worrying me a bit is they plan to crowdfund it via Indiegogo - that's not the most reputable crowdfunding site...

so long,

Hias

Edited by HiassofT