IGNORED

HSC14 Round 14: Pogo-a-go-go!

Pogo-a-go-go!

Pogo stick mania...

Pogo stick madness...

Pogo and get on with this round...

Start your engines ladies and gentlemen as it's time to unleash the future where we all travel around on pop sticks, talk about environmentally friendly eh? apart from the bl**dy giant holes everywhere and the trips to hospital, plus there's the parking...

Pogo Joe - this one is good (press return to go through title the screens)

Pogo Man - shudder

PogoTron - (number keys on title screen for starting level)

Sprong - (number keys on title screen for starting level). Is this the same game as PogoTron? Let's find out

Pogo - To round things off a Basic Bonus game! emulator users enable BASIC, post if you need any help. Atarimania has info on the games.

pogo_joe.pngpogoman.pngpogotron.pngsprong.pngpogo.gif

More comments on the games on the next few posts - If you find any other games with a Pogo Stick post and we'll add them in :)

Disk Image: HSC14 R14 - Pogo-a-go-go.atr

couldn't fit Pogo on :mad::-o :-D

Scoring tournament style

Round NOW ends Sunday 27th August 10am UK time (5pm EST)

"Just one more (po)go" :D

Edited by therealbountybob
Added disk with most of the games on it!
  • Like 1

Sport Goofy has a pogo stick element by the looks it.

http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=5060

had a quick go on Sport Goofy's "Pogo Pop" 37,840 [!] - we already have one punishment game "Pogo" but if people want to try this too that is fine. Not sure if it was luck how the tiles moved and I couldn't work out what to do on the other "marathon diving" mode (21,700) seemed to either drown or crash into the pad - was that good perhaps it was? Seems Disney made two bad games into one very bad game but perhaps I'm missing something?!! Way to showcase the 5200 eh?

Joe 30,430 - This is the best game of the bunch. Plays like Topper (not as good though) if anyone wants to come up with a bonus challenge with adjusted settings post away. Be sure to loudly announce each level name so relatives might think you are crazy!

Tron 10,244

Sprong 1,132 looks like the same game but perhaps different levels?

Pogo 590 wait for it to initialise - holpd fire to jump higher, release to get lower. L/R to move on way up or down. Idea is to jump over the objects! Not that bad for a BASIC game really ;)

A bunch of early scores:

Pogo (BASIC) - 540 pts, level 2

I was worried that if I let go of the fire button, I wouldn't be able to bounce high enough to get above the objects, so I spent most of the time high in the air.

Pogo Joe - 23620 pts, reached level 12

Somewhere I've got my old C64 records written down. I think I reached level 15 or so when I was around 13 years old. Maybe I'll get back to that shape again.

Pogoman - 98995 pts

I suppose this one deserves a screenshot:

post-5454-0-48920600-1502741914.jpg

PS: Up to jump high, down to jump low, right to jump normal, left to lenghen the jump - at least it seems to make a difference on the down jumps?

Pogotron - 2883 pts

Sprong - 2451 pts

I have a feeling one of these is a cracked version with modified levels and copyright messages. I don't know which is real and which is fake though. The first three levels are quite similar, but not identical.

Sport Goofy Pogo Pop - 2200 pts

I don't know how TRBB managed 17 times as high score, but I believe two minutes of this game is enough for me.

Nu, Pogodi - 143 pts

This one has nothing to do with pogo sticks, but is something as weird as an Atari remake of a Russian Game & Watch clone where Mickey Mouse is replaced by the wolf from the Soviet era cartoon Nu, Pogodi! about a wolf hunting a hare. As noted by Wikipedia, the cartoon has some similarities with Tom & Jerry but the cartoon creator claims he never got to see Tom & Jerry until ~20 years after the Nu, Pogodi! had been broadcast. You'll find this one on Atarimania as well, and if you want to play it you use keys F - Up Left, J - Up Right, V - Down Left and N - Down Right. Probably we have enough bonus games as it is, but I played it for fun.

post-5454-0-47285800-1502742415.jpg

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

I'M BAAAACK. This time for good. So let's start with...

Pogoman: 217992

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: this is great news. If you want to post scores for the rounds you missed you can catch up a bit too :thumbsup:

Pogo Joe Press Return a couple of times from the title screen to see the high score table. Instructions mention pressing Clr when booting to reset high scores so wonder if the ATR will save them :ponder:

Atarionline.pl have it.

Saw a game called Pogan but it looks like a Polish text adventure. As my Polish is limited to probably about 2 words (probably game over and level) i pressed a few keys and managed this:

post-19705-0-83800800-1502881144.png

I did good :D

• Like 1

OK I'll believe you!

Played Sprong again (5,798) and was wondering how come I did so much better at Pogotron so I played that again too (12,567) and realised it's much easier (and much more fun to play) ; I guess they re-released it with this in mind :ponder:

Joe 38,290 starting to get some of the Shadow bonuses. You can pop the bubble guys before they hatch, but best avoided.

post-19705-0-88991600-1502911835.jpg

Man 47,815 (round 2) he seems to re-charge and jump further if you wait before jumping ?! Noticed you can wait and the screen will push you along, not sure if this is an intended feature or a cheat!

post-19705-0-11239500-1502911828.jpg

Saw a game called Pogan but it looks like a Polish text adventure. As my Polish is limited to probably about 2 words (probably game over and level) i pressed a few keys and managed this:

attachicon.gifPogan.png

I did good :D

"Obywatel Komandos, Jesteś TRUP" - Citizen Commando, You are corpse" - yes, I think, that is good ending... ;)

• Like 1

TBH, this round hasn't been very exciting for me. Pogo Joe is ok, but the other ones aren't really doing it for me. Having said that, here are my scores so far:

Pogo Joe: 19,400 (What's with the weird names for the levels?)

post-9712-0-16247800-1503150386.png

Pogoman: 75,491 (I actually seem to like this one a little more than the main game.)

post-9712-0-99594200-1503150399.png

Pogotron: 848 (Is this the same as Sprong?)

post-9712-0-36305600-1503150407.png

• Like 1

TBH, this round hasn't been very exciting for me. Pogo Joe is ok, but the other ones aren't really doing it for me. Having said that, here are my scores so far:

Pogo Joe: 19,400 (What's with the weird names for the levels?)

Pogoman: 75,491 (I actually seem to like this one a little more than the main game.)

Pogotron: 848 (Is this the same as Sprong?)

Looks like Sprong was made much easier (and more fun to play ) and re-released as Pogotron.

Yes probably not the best bunch of games but we can tick them off the played list ;)

There are the new games from the "Ironia 2017" party to check out too :thumbsup:

Pac-Mad is very nice 15,740 (level 4) doesn't show at end of go.

I'm starting to question if Pogotron is a real game, or at least if the one dumped on various sites is the game that Artronic Products Ltd once sold.

As one can see on Atarimania, Sprong came out in 1985 and Pogotron was a rerelease from 1989. There even is a cover with screenshots of the C64 and ZX Spectrum versions, and an instruction leaflet to Pogotron that speaks about picking up parts of a rocket to assemble, picking up fuel and escape the planet. That sounds like a partial rip-off of Jet Pac (Ultimate), at least idea wise. I have only played three screens worth of Pogotron so I don't know if the rocket parts are out there to pick up?

The screenshots from the C64 and ZX Spectrum versions are quite similar to eachother, but very different from the Atari version. I looked up a gameplay video on YouTube on the Spectrum version and while the guy bounces on a pogo stick, it is a rather different game than the one we're playing here.

I have two theories:

1. Someone made a pogo based game on the Spectrum that the software house thought was so good that they wanted to release it on multiple formats. They managed to find someone to port it to the C64, but in lack of better options on the Atari 8-bit (which IMHO would've had a rather small market segment in the UK by 1989), they licensed old Sprong, changed the title and modified some levels, knowing it was not the same game at all but better than nothing.

2. There is a real Pogotron for Atari somewhere, but it has not been archived. Instead someone has had fun and hacked up Sprong with a different title screen and modified levels and spread it under the pretense it is the real game.

• Like 1

Improvements

Pogo Joe 51,680 lv24

post-19705-0-48453900-1503331606.jpgpost-19705-0-55014200-1503331574.jpg

PogoMan 130,925 - if you do have the patience to get through level 1 (it is quite short) level 2 has moving ground obstacles and level 3 adds moving flying things that have to be avoided at the same time as the usual things.

post-19705-0-83807300-1503331586.jpg

Pogoton 15,380 a determined effort reached screen 12. I've given up on Sprong. Wonder how many screens there are on these... time to read up!

post-19705-0-99922100-1503331594.jpg

Some sort of tables!

Scoring may change ;)

Combined points from each game / HSC Points

1st therealbountybob 34 12pts
2nd carlsson 29 11pts
3rd RedThunder 16 10pts
4th Dope 14 9pts
5th Deteacher 12 8pts
6th jblenkle 2 7pts

Pogo Joe
1st Dope 79,220 7