IGNORED

HSC14 Round 14: Pogo-a-go-go!

Pogotron 16,812

I wanted to get further but it's just so frustrating

post-19705-0-42582400-1503652485.jpg

I forgot to make the poll public so I can't see who has voted (gotta watch for them infiltrators) but it's currently tied! Round 15 Poll

Do you think it's too late to enter the Pogo Joe contest to win $10,000 ?!!

pub_pgojoe.jpg

Pogoman Video - he didn't reach stage 3!

The Pogo Man Instructions are worth a read - there are only 3 stages to a city - mentions bonus for reaching lampposts with long jump and explains scoring :idea:

Pogo Joe - 33550 pts

Then I played Pogoman for an entire hour, trying to maximize the score but I never managed to beat my old score from when I didn't know how the game works... This game is fun with the first man, after you lost a life it is more or less game over for me, at least if you're trying for the high scores.

Pogotron, Sprong and Pogo BASIC I couldn't bother to play again.

Pogo Joe - 33550 pts

Then I played Pogoman for an entire hour, trying to maximize the score but I never managed to beat my old score from when I didn't know how the game works... This game is fun with the first man, after you lost a life it is more or less game over for me, at least if you're trying for the high scores.

PogoMan

Phase 1 is easy if you are patient(!) with the positioning - I'm not sure if you can get all the lights but certainly about 4 or 5 in a row if you use the left edge scrolling push to line yourself up. Level 2 is tougher but if you forget about the lights you can do this, poisitioning yourself to clear the obstacles and the moving things on the same jump and using the little jump to get over the small critters. Phase 3 is tough, now you need to keep right a lot as the flying things are quite agressive.

I did notice a long jump (pull down) near the end of one of the phases makes a noise as you hit under the low light (2 near each other over the car?) perhaps this does something.

:)

Yeah, I usually reach phase 2 on the first life, about 60-80K points. The problem is that as soon as I lose a life on phase 2, the score for hitting lights resets from those 7-8K per light to 1K. I also wonder about the long jump bonus, is it always 3-4K or does it increase over time? I managed to get the bonus on the very first light, at the expense of losing a life, and tried a few times later in the course with the lower lights but didn't really hit any that way.

Yeah, I usually reach phase 2 on the first life, about 60-80K points. The problem is that as soon as I lose a life on phase 2, the score for hitting lights resets from those 7-8K per light to 1K. I also wonder about the long jump bonus, is it always 3-4K or does it increase over time? I managed to get the bonus on the very first light, at the expense of losing a life, and tried a few times later in the course with the lower lights but didn't really hit any that way.

so is the long jump bonus when you hit the low lights (bulbs) underneath and it makes that odd noise? they stay lit?

Unusually punctual here are the final tables. Overall my assesment for the games including the bonus games , in no particular order: "Much better that first thought", "Not bad for a basic game", "Way Too Hard", "Too Hard", "Good", "Really this is the best you can do?".

Thanks for playing guys, much apprecicated.

final tables!

Scoring did change ;)

Combined points from each game / HSC Points

1st therealbountybob 28 12pts
2nd carlsson 23 11pts
3rd McKong 16 10pts
4th Dope 14 9pts
5th RedThunder 13 8pts
6th Deteacher 10 7pts
7th jblenkle 2 6pts

Pogo Joe
1st Dope 79,220 7
2nd therealbountybob 56,580 6
3rd carlsson 33,550 5
4th Deteacher 19,400 4
5th RedThunder 17,750 3
6th jblenkle 13,370 2
7th McKong 11,920 1

PogoMan
1st Dope 217,992 7
1st Dope 217,992 7
2nd therealbountybob 176,769 6
3rd carlsson 98,995 5
4th McKong 95,104 4
5th Deteacher 75,419 3
6th RedThunder 10,985 2

Pogotron
1st therealbountybob 16,837 7
2nd McKong 5,306 6
3rd carlsson 2,883 5
4th RedThunder 1,747 4
5th Deteacher 848 3

Sprong
1st therealbountybob 11,234 7
2nd carlsson 2,451 6
3rd McKong 2,324 5
4th RedThunder 1,222 4

Bonus games 1pt for playing
Pogo (BAS)
1st therealbountybob 590 1
2nd carlsson 540 1

Sport Goofy's "Pogo Pop"
1st therealbountybob (p) 37,840 1
2nd carlsson 2,200 1

:)

Edited by therealbountybob

so is the long jump bonus when you hit the low lights (bulbs) underneath and it makes that odd noise? they stay lit?

Too late for the HSC but yes that is exactly what it is and how it works. The manual you pointed to states that long jumps will generate bonus instead of closing the lights.

• Like 1