IGNORED

Tho Oregon Trail for TI-99/4

TheTIGuy

• 2 weeks later...

Feel free to add my optimizations in post 43. I do believe they will not change the behavior of the game but save a few bytes of program length, which might be beneficial. Also remember that PRINT takes single colon to print multiple lines, a TI BASIC special as far as I understand it. Possibly it will squeeze some more bytes, in case that is what you're looking for in order to improve other areas of the program.

Hello again!

So I'm working on v5.0, and guess what?

This one will finally have 99/4a enhancements! i should be done by Friday, but I'm not sure, and if it goes past Tuesday, it may be quite some time away, sadly.

As I said, try to use a memory module, if at all possible.

• Like 2

I do not pretend to know what i'm talking about, but would a compiled-basic version save much memory?

And just how would we do that? It would be a good idea, but this is a late 70s BASIC powered computer, so there are issues with the very being of this statement sadly/

At this point, if you need to use memory expansion, you'd have to use Extended BASIC at least to use it anyway, so then the memory optimization techniques that you can apply there (multiple statement lines, etc) come into play.

I don't know how to use XB...

Extended BASIC looks and feels and works pretty much exactly like TI BASIC does - it just resides on a cartridge that plugs into the TI. Your entire program, as written, will run as is in Extended BASIC with no changes (I tried it). It just has the advantage of being able to use the memory expansion unit, that TI BASIC built into the computer does not have. It gives you many more additional features - the ability to have multiple statement lines (you can put an entire FOR-NEXT loop on one line, separated by :: symbols for example), screen formatting control that is difficult at best to replicate in TI BASIC (you can display text anywhere you want). But my main point in this response was just to inform you that if you are in danger of running out of memory in TI BASIC, the only solution is to use Extended BASIC or remove code, because TI BASIC will not use a memory expansion unit even if it is attached to the console.

• Like 3

OK, i see where we are going here.

So i will have a Extended Basic (XB) version, and a sightly condensed standard version.

EDIT: Although for now it seems that the XB version will just be a Memory Expanded Version (M-E-V), so someone with

any kind of extra memory can play it.

Edited by TheTIGuy

And just how would we do that? It would be a good idea, but this is a late 70s BASIC powered computer, so there are issues with the very being of this statement sadly/

All i know is there is a tool here on the forum that takes tibasic and compiles it.

I just thought by using it you may squeak out a bit of memory?

OK, 2 versions (The compact/stock version is a bit behind...)

HI-MEM (Memory Expanded Version/MEV)

MAJOR UPDATE v5.00/BUILD 29

The Oregon Trail for TI-99 BUILD v5.00-BUILD 29 (USE WITH MEMOREY MODULE).txt

LO-MEM (Compact/Stock System Version C/SSV

MINOR UPDATE v4.9/BUILD28

The Oregon Trail for TI-99 v4.9 (Build28).txt

(v4.90,(build 27) the HI-MEM version of v4.9, was never and never will be released, as it was not much better than the compact version)

Strangely enough, they can both be run on stock TI, it seems. However, this will not be the case soon.

EDIT: I never thought the intro/credits would take up like 15 KB jeez...

Edited by TheTIGuy
  • Like 4

As of 00:00 To-Night, all versions before 4.0x will no longer have 1st party support, will no longer receive updates, patches, or anything of the sort. As an omen to the most ground-braking (Well, 2nd most) version/edition of TOTTI99, i will release the last 3.x build to-night at 23:45 or sooner. This version will also go through the life cycle as the current versions do, with support

terminating on or before 01-01-2018.

edit/update: i will also release a new LO-MEM-VER

Edited by TheTIGuy

Version 3.9 (Minor update, EOL release) NON-ESR. *The ESR version was removed 01:45 on the 2nd of September.*

(N/A, End of life update (3.9)

The Oregon Trail for TI-99 v3.9 (build31A)---NON ESR..txt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 4.9.1 (Minor update, LO-MEM-VER (4.x series)

The Oregon Trail for TI-99 v4.9.1 (Build30-LO-MEM-VER).txt (LO-MEM-VER (4.9.1)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry, no new EXtended Memory Version at this moment.

Please hold until we figure out a way to make our programs better. (EXMV---N/A)

The Oregon Trail for TI-99 v3.9 (build31).txt

Edited by TheTIGuy

END OF LIFE NOTICE:

All versions before 5.x will no longer have support as of 00:00 (Midnight) on Tuesday, the 5th of September, 2017.

All non- EXtended Memory Version editions (L-M-V,U-C-V,AE/E,ESR,ect.) will no longer have support as of 00:00

on Tuesday, the 5th of September, 2017.

END OF LIFE NOTICE:

This project will no longer be actively developed unless a new version (by any party) is released by

00:00, Wednsday, Spetember 6th, 2017.

END OF LIFE NOTICE:

This project will no longer be supported unless there is a new version (by any party) released by

00:00, Wednsday, September 6th, 2017.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, because the re-post seems to be dying too, here is the link to the new topic. IT IS ABOUT THE SAME THING.

It is also a version archive:http://atariage.com/forums/topic/270078-the-oregon-trail-for-ti-99-continuation-and-archive/?do=findComment&comment=3852376