IGNORED

Store Reviews: Why so few?

Thomas Jentzsch

I did leave some, they haven't been approved. For instance LEM, at the top it says 2 reviews but only 1 is visible to the public

Whoops, I missed a few reviews, they have all been approved. Thanks for commenting on that. The primary reason I have to approve the reviews is to prevent spammers and trolls from leaving "reviews". And that bug where it says there are, say, two reviews and only one is visible is something I'm going to go look at and fix right now, as that's annoying.

There has been a steady flow of reviews in the past week -- I've been including a nice flyer with orders inviting people to leave reviews in the store, so I think that's helping a bit. As well as this thread. :)

..Al

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with that, Video. As long as you describe your thoughts like that. IMO you don't need any score then. Scores are for people who are too lazy to read and understand reviews. :)

E.g. Jammed was definitely not designed to look or sound outstanding. It was an attempt to squeeze in as many puzzles (600) into 4K with an adequate UI. So its perfect from a programmers perspective, but probably not that good for players.

Holy crap! I thought I was nearing the end too. Man I still have a LONG ways to go on this one (not quiet hit 100 yet)

Holy crap! I thought I was nearing the end too. Man I still have a LONG ways to go on this one (not quiet hit 100 yet)

Oh, you are playing them one by one? Then be prepared that the puzzles are getting more and more difficult. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 1

Are the puzzles in Jammed randomized or do they appear in an order? Is there a way to skip to the 100th or 200th puzzles? icon_smile.gif

Everything of that. icon_smile.gif

PLAYING THE GAME

Jammed consists of 600 puzzles which are organized in 6 difficulty levels

of 100 puzzles each. With the joystick you can move the cursor and the

firebutton moves the selected car in the indicated direction.

SWITCHES

RESET = restart puzzle

SELECT = select level

FIRE+SELECT = select random puzzle in current level

LEFT DIFFICULTY = cursor mode

RIGHT DIFFICULTY = switch between NTSC and PAL settings

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

The Qb box is very cool! I have boxes for some Xype games: Gunfight, Crazy Balloon, Seawolf, Star Fire. They are the regular cardboard kind. I would love to see standard boxes for Qb, Space Instigators, and Climber 5 :) The Xype games deserve it!

Jammed is a great game and a tremendous value. This one needs a box, too :)

All 600 in just one day? icon_eek.gif

I want to say yes. I was young and had no children, so free time abounded. Some of the early ones are pretty straightforward, but later ones took some doing. Maybe not all 600. Dammit Thomas, now I have to go and play it all over again.

• Like 3

Yeah, I play all the levels and when I go back I practice by replaying the earlier levels, so I'm slowly getting through it. If it saved or password, it probably wouldn't help as I tend to play till I get stuck LOL, so I'd just be perpetually stuck if it did that. Haven't mucked with the switches, might try level skip sometime and get really stuck on a level :D

• 4 weeks later...

Store reviews? Why so few? changing demographics.Something I watch casually from the sidelines.

Care to explain your changing demographics statement or are you just pulling that out of your butt? There is no significant change in the frequency of reviews. If anything, it's gone up recently (before Thomas' post) as reviews are more visible in the store as of an update I did several months ago.

..Al

Al, it's observation. Not hard numbers done in the style of a door-to-door census. Representative of the whole? Maybe. Maybe not. It's what I see. I fear..

1- More people are getting into systems that were popular in the 1986-1996 timeframe.

2- A lot of time is spent speculating on kickstarters, and arguing about what a product should be. It's a vaporware bashfest!

3- More discussion on the history and politics of the gaming industry is consuming rec time.

4- I feel there is too much "new retro" coming into the scene.

5- The old guard is moving beyond button mashing and grinding through levels.

6- One game after another after another after another, overload.

7- Interest is building in vintage PC (pre-Prentium III era), heck, the talk has got me riled up.

8- Interest in smartphones, tablets, and social media. It all consumes time.

9- Uninformed youtubers consuming your time.

10- Real life can be intruding and either a bitch or a godsend. Either way, it costs time.

11- Recent pushes to downsize collections.

12- Increased interest in buying/selling/trading of games and systems.

13- Renewed interest in classic 8/16 bit computing (Atari, Commodore, Apple)

14- Absurd amount of interest in mini-"things".

All of that is eating into playing and enjoying the games as we did as kids in the 70's and 80's. We're being spread too thin. In times past we didn't have all those distractions. We did BBS'es, EGM, and schoolyard buddy discussions, plus the standard fare of TV advertising. That's it! And those activities were limited and left plenty of time for hands-on gaming.

And another thing, a lot of folks are downsizing their collections. They're also trading and selling systems with not as much thought as I'd like to see. There are topics on this.. And while I like the idea of billions of games, they must be relevant and nostalgic and mean something to you personally.

There's a lot more of the "absolutely must gotta have this OMG take my money NOW!" attitude being applied to any one product or thing, and then burnout happens, interest dies off, then the gamer moves to the next promising thing. And that cycle is getting shorter and shorter. Attention spans are growing too short. Flighty..

Writing reviews is bound to be at the bottom of the barrel in all things videogames.

---

My Apple II backlog of material to be scanned and archived is ridiculous..

The box of classic videogame and arcade photographs is still sitting in the corner..

I have 3 classic PC's I kinda want to rebuild/restore..

I'm struggling with optimizing and sorting and paring down Apple II material..

I have this awesome vintage cordless phone I need to spiff up..

As a matter of fact, the wife may actually be playing more games than me.

So much to do, so little time. So I'm not writing reviews. And as I write THIS I'm doing 2 other tasks on the PC. Hope that explains the state of affairs.

I love the site and the AA store. I always thought there were so few reviews because of the forums. When I want to the get the lowdown on a game, I search the forums. On the forums you can see a game's WIP stage, and you can interact with other users. Every time I start writing a review, I feel like I am talking to myself. On the forums, you can shoot the crap & participate in a discussion. :)

Every time I feel like reviewing a game, I know its only a matter of time before someone like Trebor or Nathan come along and blow away what Id be able to write as a super-casual gamer anymore. :)

Btw: apostrophes are not working ever since I updated my iPad to 11.0.1 - its not me, I swear! I see them as I type, but as soon as I submit, they vanish. sigh

I love the site and the AA store. I always thought there were so few reviews because of the forums. When I want to the get the lowdown on a game, I search the forums. On the forums you can see a game's WIP stage, and you can interact with other users. Every time I start writing a review, I feel like I am talking to myself. On the forums, you can shoot the crap & participate in a discussion. :)

Think that's a lot of it there. Forums baby! I can watch a new game grow in the forum if I have interest, give feedback, heck even sometimes make suggestions for how to make it (and sometimes even see it implemented) so that's a thing.

My main reason for no reviews is I don't really buy anything any more. Maybe some day, and since they have reviews now I'd probably make some.