IGNORED

Atari Hometax, Medit, and Forms disks—archived?

electronizer

Hi electronizer!

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!

They are even not listed in the Wiki!!!!!!!!!

Big found! :-)))

Serial => Atari internal eyes only! Not for the public... Have stickers of those!

Would you share this with the community?

It may be the:

Atari Editor CX8105 (maybe replaced by the Atari Program Text Editor?)

the lost to believe one...

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Rarity%2010

WOW!

• Like 2

Okay, I tried to copy a few of these disks tonight. I'm probably not using the best method to do this; I'm just using DOS 2.5 on an 800XL with a stock 1050 and the duplicate disk option to copy the disks to blank images on an SD card via SIO2SD.

The copy of "Medit and Forms" seemed to go okay:

Medit and Forms.atr

I also found this on archive.org:

The copies of "Hometax (program disk)" and "Hometax (screen disk)" also seemed to go okay:
However, I am not able to run either of these disks. The Hometax Program Disk beeps for a while, then freezes on an empty screen. The Hometax Screen Disk just gives boot errors.
I was unable to copy the "Hometax Demo" disk. I eventually get an error 144. I did try to boot this disk directly in my 1050; it beeped for a while and eventually gave a blank screen. When the disk stopped booting, a screeching sound started coming out of the speaker that sounded like a fax machine transferring data.
I did cover up the write protect notches on all of the original disks, just to make sure I didn't accidentally write over them. I also have an extra demo disk, and original copies of the program and screen disks that I haven't touched yet. Anyone have any advice for what to try next?
  • Like 4

The Hometax program disk loads up in Altirra with "400/800" set as system type and stock 1050 drive emulation. It gives you a welcome message and tells you to insert the Screen disk. When you do, it beeps for awhile and then Altirra crashes; the emulated system displays "Bad screen number".

post-30400-0-50052300-1505056127_thumb.png

post-30400-0-30735200-1505056136_thumb.png

Okay, I tried to copy a few of these disks tonight. I'm probably not using the best method to do this; I'm just using DOS 2.5 on an 800XL with a stock 1050 and the duplicate disk option to copy the disks to blank images on an SD card via SIO2SD.

The copy of "Medit and Forms" seemed to go okay:

attachicon.gifMedit and Forms.atr

I also found this on archive.org:

The copies of "Hometax (program disk)" and "Hometax (screen disk)" also seemed to go okay:
However, I am not able to run either of these disks. The Hometax Program Disk beeps for a while, then freezes on an empty screen. The Hometax Screen Disk just gives boot errors.
I was unable to copy the "Hometax Demo" disk. I eventually get an error 144. I did try to boot this disk directly in my 1050; it beeped for a while and eventually gave a blank screen. When the disk stopped booting, a screeching sound started coming out of the speaker that sounded like a fax machine transferring data.
I did cover up the write protect notches on all of the original disks, just to make sure I didn't accidentally write over them. I also have an extra demo disk, and original copies of the program and screen disks that I haven't touched yet. Anyone have any advice for what to try next?

There are a few people here that are good at recovering disks that have errors. Plus the few of us that have a Kryoflux could try copying it.

Allan

@luckybuck yes, I noticed the strange directory listings! Where it says "#MEDIT & FORMS 42" (42 is the serial number printed on the disk label), I was wondering how they did that...

Busy week but I'm hoping to have time to try again soon. Will probably clean the head on my 1050 and see if I can copy the backup of the screen disk.

• 2 months later...

Yesterday I tried to archive the backup screen disk:

post-43315-0-72493500-1510593485_thumb.jpg

Same thing--when I boot the program disk and then switch the image to the screen disk, it says "bad screen number."

Both the original and the backup screen disk seem to "skip" when copying in DOS 2.5. I hear "beep beep beep (pause) beep beep beep," rather than the long, continuous string of beeps between head movements when I copy a normal disk. Does this indicate any kind of copy protection? Is there a better copying tool I should try? I've used Disk Wizard before to create real floppies from atr images, so maybe I'll try that next.

also be aware the 1050 was introduced in 1983 for the most part... the software might want strict 810.... not usually the case but a possibility

if you have a pile of these do the serial numbers match up ie program serial 10 screen serial 10 etc...

Edited by _The Doctor__

also be aware the 1050 was introduced in 1983 for the most part... the software might want strict 810.... not usually the case but a possibility

if you have a pile of these do the serial numbers match up ie program serial 10 screen serial 10 etc...

Good points! I recall hearing that the 1050 firmware needed an upgrade in order to boot some of the earlier copy protected disks. However, would it make a difference if I'm just trying to copy disks? I am trying to get one of my 800s shipped out so I can actually try booting the disk; it won't boot on my 800XL (although I suppose I could try booting with an 810 connected to the 800XL).

I included pictures of most of the disks in the first post. The serial numbers don't match up between the program and screen disk. I do have a backup program disk, so I'll try archiving that as well. Maybe the backup program and screen disks are a match.

Is there an easy way to examine the code in the screen disk atr I posted earlier and determine if it has gaps/errors due to the way I copied it?

you need to run the fixxl or one of the translation disks I have uploaded here on AA first, that will replace the OS in your XL with Atari 800 OS, and yes some software required a real 810 to load, there were timing and other issues involved..

Here's a translate kit thread

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229218-two-versions-of-translator-disk/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3108494