IGNORED

SIO Wifi modem with esp8266

mozzwald

[My to do list: buy new glasses...]

Thank you...

Stefan

While you are at it, can you please buy some for me as well? And also a new brain would be nice. Who am I kidding, how about a whole new body :)

- Michael

• Like 1

R Verter was a commercial SIO to RS232 converter. Lots of plans for DIY versions available.

Thank you for the explanation.

May you have a look at the website?

http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/atari/rvert.html

Is it the converter you mentioned?

do I need a special handler / driver when using the R Verter, and can I still daisy chain the diskdrive(s) ?

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

There is a driver required. And it's a SIO dead end, unless you add a pass through connection. They are powered through the SIO line as well; if you have a heavily modded system you might overtax the Atari power supply.

Sounds perfect !

Don't worry regarding the PSU. I have a replacement power supply.

2.5 Amps is probably enough.

I just found the schematics for the RVerter.

Guess, I give it a try.

Stefan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I attached a RVerter circuit diagram.

Can somebody confirm, SIO Pin DT.IN

is Pin 3 instead Pin 2 ?

Respectively, what is the correct pin

for P6 on the 74Ls00...

I just want to avoid expensive mistakes...

Thank you

Stefan

Did you get it to work? I like really like this. I was thinking of snagging an 850, but now you got my attention to make a r-verter.

I vaguely remember it , does it install as a true R: handle with a binary?

Using the motor control line, would that toggle the 410 recorder on and off if you have play pressed?

Basically you have half a MIDI mate there.

Hello Stefan

That's why you should come to an Atari 8 bit meeting like the NOMAM* or the Fujiama. You can not imagine the amount of knowledge that comes together at meetings like that. An example: LuckyBuck, the guy that's trying to collect and preserve all software for the Atari 8 bit computer that was written until somewhere in the middle of the 80's, had a fairly long to-do list when he visited the Fujiama for the first time last year. He never would have imagined that he could have checked off all the items on his list by the end of the Fujiama. But by the end of the 3.something day meeting, the list was completely checked off.

Sincerely

Mathy

*: To all others: No, you do not have to remind us that "NOMAM" reminds you of Al Bundy's "NO MA'AM". We know.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had good success with NodeMCU dev boards using Strikelink and Zimodem 3.0 firmwares (links below).

Both firmwares work well. Both have telnet modes. Zimodem has the ability to answer. (EDIT - I haven't tested this aspect).

I'm still playing at this. I didn't add RS232 level conversion. I just connected the boards' TX, RX and GND lines (so far) to SIO. Power is via USB Phone charger.

I've been using the bobverter driver on the Atari but I'm not sure how to add RVerter logic. Since I don't have a real R: interface set up and the device just sits on the SIO bus I can't do disk I/O unless I'm using my internal MyIDE (with SDX 4.49c beta).

Links

DIY C64 Wifi Modem

Zimodem 3.0

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

Thank you for your message.

It is the same firmware already running

on my C64.

So that is the next thing I will test. For a short moment, let's forget about RS232 Level shifting and tell me how the RVerter works.

At least with an ESP -12 it must be possible

to use just another (ESP)pin for a "software"

solution, instead the RVerter.

I guess the RVerter is "triggered" by another

SIO pin, if the information of the SIO bus line

belongs to the modem?

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

post-38469-0-40096000-1515424674_thumb.jpg

What does Pin 9 and Pin 13 ?

Both are inputs, aren't they?

post-38469-0-91773300-1515424681_thumb.jpg

Pin 13 isn´t in use at all here...

why? It is the "newer version" of the RVerter, isn´t it?

Whatever the program/firmware of the ESP-Chip does...

If I change all the funktions reading / writing at Tx / Rx

into something like this

if ((old funktion) && (Pin 8))

[where pin 8 is in fact a free GiPo pin of our choice

connected to motor pin 8]

it should replace the RVerter device ?!

Any help appreciated !

Stefan

Edited by Stefan Both

Sorry Stefan, I don't have any answers to your questions.

To change the subject, I got Altirra to talk to my 800XL with the 'Zimodem'. I'm running ICE-T at both ends and only sent a few characters but I'm happy. The Zimodem is in some monitor mode so it's not 2-way communication but I must be close.

I also updated the Zimodem firmware (to 3.3) live. It's a nice convenience.

Edited by a8isa1

• 2 months later...

I've had good success with NodeMCU dev boards using Strikelink and Zimodem 3.0 firmwares (links below).

Both firmwares work well. Both have telnet modes. Zimodem has the ability to answer. (EDIT - I haven't tested this aspect).

I'm still playing at this. I didn't add RS232 level conversion. I just connected the boards' TX, RX and GND lines (so far) to SIO. Power is via USB Phone charger.

I've been using the bobverter driver on the Atari but I'm not sure how to add RVerter logic. Since I don't have a real R: interface set up and the device just sits on the SIO bus I can't do disk I/O unless I'm using my internal MyIDE (with SDX 4.49c beta).

Links

DIY C64 Wifi Modem

Zimodem 3.0

"I just connected the boards' TX, RX and GND lines (so far) to SIO"

Is your NodeMCU still working?

My understanding is the ESP8266 module is not 5V tolerant. But the Atari SIO TX circuit is an open drain output with a 4.7k pull up resistor and 100 ohm series resistor - that would limit current into the device. So perhaps things are fine because there's limited current (maybe a couple hundred microamps) being shunted by the internal ESD protection circuit.

Thoughts?

"I just connected the boards' TX, RX and GND lines (so far) to SIO"

Is your NodeMCU still working?

My understanding is the ESP8266 module is not 5V tolerant. But the Atari SIO TX circuit is an open drain output with a 4.7k pull up resistor and 100 ohm series resistor - that would limit current into the device. So perhaps things are fine because there's limited current (maybe a couple hundred microamps) being shunted by the internal ESD protection circuit.

Thoughts?

Sounds reasonable but it's probably obvious that I don't know hardware.

Yep, both NodeMCUs have been working these past nine months. I can't say I use them very often on the Atari. I still haven't repaired my svideo cable and ICE-T is virtually unusable via composite video. I'll be more inclined to get it done if someone can patch The Learning Phone binary to work with the R-Verter driver. Currently an 850 is required and I don't own one any longer.

• Like 1