IGNORED

CX-10 Joystick Hex Disc dimensions

adamchevy

I am going to try and make my own Hex Discs for my cx-10 joysticks. I can measure the inside of the top with calipers and use some radius gauges to get close to the original dimensions, but I am struggling with how to come up with the thickness of the Discs. If someone would be so kind as to share the dimensions of the original Hex discs I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning on making them out of aluminum and then getting them anodized. After anodizing I am going to do the Atari lettering. The current ebay prices are $100 per disc, so I think its worth my time. Thanks again for any help!

post-36990-0-10993900-1504928029.jpg

• Like 1

Bump, if somebody needs to borrow some calipers I will happily mail them to you. I also have quite a collection of micrometers. Nows your chance to finally help someone become rich and famous on ebay . [emoji16]. I'll happily mail a set to any atariage member for the cost of shipping once I get these figured out. And honestly I don't plan on selling these for very much if I decide to.

Edited by adamchevy

No love for the sears version?icon_winking.gif

If I had to guess thickness - 22 or 24ga sheet metal.

But I'm just going by the pics on this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Sears-Tele-Games-HEX-DISK-for-Heavy-Sixer-CX-10-Joystick-Atari-2600-/172845559039?hash=item283e65ecff:g:AhYAAOSwc-tY4bGV

I really do like the Sears Version, but for some reason having the Word Atari on my controller appeals more to me. I am going to work on the Sears Version as well. Their are a couple controllers for sale on eBay with discs in them. I might pick one of them up if I can let go of $150 for one. Edited by adamchevy

Put a drinking straw in the indent then mark it where the top of the ridge is. All the CX-10s I have seen have the disk level with that ridge.

Also, I would be interested in a repo disk, my CX-10 is just for display, and not playable.

That's good to know! I will make sure to get you a set. I'm going to start working on them tomorrow. I think I can make a die to punch them out of aluminum . Or possibly turn them on my 5th axis lathe. I'll probably try turning them first. I have a lot of different types of metals to try. I think I'll try 7075 aluminum and titanium first.

There was a guy selling repro cx10 disks a few years ago. Was kinda happy to see them gone off the market as they where too close to the originals.

I have been thinking a lot about this. I might do some kind of unique Hex discs instead. Possibly popular arcade game characters or colored lettering to set them apart. I wouldn't like people using them to sell like counterfeits. To me it would be nice to have the space filled with some type of Hex Disc rather than nothing. Definitely something to give some thought.

As long as you could stamp your initials or business moniker into the discs, they would never be confused as counterfeits. If someone were to file off the letters, this would weaken the metal and be obvious to a collector. This monogram could be stamped into the back of the discs.

That's a good idea, I will include something like that on the back. Problem Solved.

Not sure if you meant that to be as sarcastic as it sounds, but if those are all original, how did you get so many?

I assume it's because he's been an Atari collector for a long time. There's probably quite a few people on the forums that have some. If CX10's were sold with every Heavy Sixer then discs would have been plentiful at some point. Edited by adamchevy

I assume it's because he's been an Atari collector for a long time. There's probably quite a few people on the forums that have some. If CX10's were sold with every Heavy Sixer then discs would have been plentiful at some point.

Not sure if I would say that. I've been collecting Atari since '91 and in all my years of searching thrifts, garage sales, etc. I've come across exactly one stick with the hex. I don't think they have been common in all my years of searching.

Edited by Atari_Bill
  • Like 1

Not sure if I would say that. I've been collecting Atari since '91 and in all my years of searching thrifts, garage sales, etc. I've come across exactly one stick with the hex. I don't think they have been common in all my years of searching.

That's good to know. I guess one should never assume unless one really knows.

Started collecting in 1999?

That's the year I graduated from High School. I wish I would have started collecting in 1999. I was to interested in girls and computers back then. I guess the girls thing never really goes away. It could have been girls and Atari though. Edited by adamchevy