IGNORED

Flying Shark

Asmusr

Awesome!

A question :

- How do I shoot in JS99 ? I cannot find the key

A suggestion:

- Why not adding a smple animation of the tile for sea?

All you need to do is to chanage the tile definition while scrolling. There is no computational overhead nor extra VRAM usage if you take the 8 scrolling steps from 8 animated frames of the waves

;)

tumblr_o4kwyhsrOI1rsgx3eo1_500.gif

Edited by artrag
  • Like 3

A suggestion:

- Why not adding a smple animation of the tile for sea?

All you need to do is to chanage the tile definition while scrolling. There is no computational overhead nor extra VRAM usage if you take the 8 scrolling steps from 8 animated frames of the waves

Yes I will probably do that later, but it requires some changes because I'm currently storing one 8x16 tile for 8 frames instead of 8 8x8 tiles for 8 frames. My current approach only takes 1/4 of the space, but I guess I have enough room on the cartridge.

By "tile" you mean a couple of adjacent characters, do you?

I expect a lot of "tiles" when you have transitions with ground, ships, shadows etc.

Using pointers, you can use the same code for accessing to independent frames and to data within a 16 byte frame

Edited by artrag

By "tile" you mean a couple of adjacent characters, do you?

I expect a lot of "tiles" when you have transitions with ground, ships, shadows etc.

Using pointers, you can use the same code for accessing to independent frames and to data within a 16 byte frame

Yes.

I do maintain a list of addresses (pointing into the ROM bank) of the characters to upload, but I only update the list every 8th frame. In other frames I just add an offset (1-7) to the addresses. It's much more efficient simply to switch to a new ROM bank every frame rather than trying to figure out which characters to treat specially. This means I would have to use a 512K ROM instead of a 256K ROM, but the cost difference of producing a physical cartridge is minimal (if any), and for the FinalGROM it doesn't matter at all.

• Like 1

You are right that there is minimal to no cost difference between the 256K and the 512K chips, @Rasmus (a few cents per chip at most). Sometimes the larger chips actually come out cheaper. . .it all depends on quantity and source availability at the time I need the chips. All other costs would be the same, as they both use identical cartridge parts for everything else.

I have now refactored the whole thing so it's possible to animate each character/pattern/tile in 8 frames as the screen scrolls.

Problem is that the scrolling speed is a bit faster than what's desirable for an animation so it's difficult to make it look good.

In order to make more use of animation than just for the water, I have made a wind animation for the palm trees. Again it's a bit fast, but it does make the background more dynamic. Let me know what you think.

For the water I have struggled to come up with a reasonable animation. I have ended up just scrolling it sideways and changing the colors a bit. Let me know if you have any ideas. The water is currently only one 8x8 tile, but it could possibly be expanded to 4 tile (or 16x16).

I don't think there's more in the current graphics set that it makes sense to animate, but let me know if you have any ideas. Animation is completely free in terms of performance, unless you add new tiles.

The ROM is now 512K with a lot of redundancy and about 160K free.

flying-shark-8.bin

• Like 9

Much better!

I see that the 3rd wave is cycling, this makes the sea look moving to the left.

If you want avoid the effect, you could use just two waves 4 pixels tall, going back and forth. Probably the best would be add a black line under the 3 lines now used for the first two waves.

If you can spend more time and tiles on the issue, the rule more or less would be that the crests of the waves plot a sine wave animated across the sea tiles.

• Like 1