IGNORED

A Disk of Games

etownandy

I'm still working through logistics for the little expo I plan to have in Etown. I wanted to demo some TI games, so I put together a disk image of my favorites. For simplicity, I mostly just picked the best games that would work with an XB EA5 loader. There are sixteen games at the moment, with room for maybe a couple more (any thoughts on that?).

I thought those of us who primarily use emulation might find the disk image handy, so here it is.

The only game that's not strictly EA5 is Road Hunter. Anyway, enjoy.

The games included are:
The Mine

Oh, Mummy

Freddy

Snake Plissken

Midnight Mason

Barrage

Computer War

Ms. Pac-Man

Centipede

Nibbler

Junkman Jr.

Perfect Push

Donkey Kong

Shamus

Demon Attack

Road Hunter

BestGames.dsk

• Like 6

Excellent (only ones that I would add to a "best" disk would be Space Station Pheta, Miner 2049er, and Attack of the Creepers (ESPECIALLY Attack of the Creepers - what a beautiful and kick-ass game that is!! Amazing animation!))

19 sectors free now. :). Shamus and Ms. Pac-Man might be droppable, though, to make room for Creepers.

• Like 2

oh dude! that is awesome.

so... if i was so inclined, could I use this and convert for use on my 'real' TI the same way a person would convert other .dsk images?

would depend whether your controller can handle 360k disks...

for nanoPEB users dsk's like these are da bomb!!

(and yes, I know it's ridiculous for a 62 year old man to use terms like "da bomb" but my co-workers are all young whipper-snappers, so their popular vernacular rubs off.)

• Like 1

don;t you dare drop Shamus (we have one of the better ports of that game)...

...simply plan Creepers (and Pheta and Bounty Bob) for vol.2!!

LOL, fine. I'll put together a second volume. I'll have to go digging to see if I can find Miner 2049er. I know I have Creepers and Space Station Pheta.

Any other requests while I'm at it? Reason I initially went with EA5 games is because they tend to not take up much disk space. D/F80 and games with considerable XB components can really burn through the space. But I quite like the Terr-Ware titles (Blackjack, Poker, and Wheel of Fortune) so they might end up on vol 2.

• Like 2

Space Station Pheta seems to have some very interesting kind of protection. TI Image Tool wouldn't copy two files because they have special characters (periods?) in the file names. Funnelweb's Disk Review copied without complaining, but the resulting disk refuses to load.

The image I was trying to copy from boots, but gets stuck at the "Insert master disk" screen. I'd have gotten this from WHTECH.

If anyone has a copy that works, can you post? Ditto if you have an XB bootable or EA5 loadable copy of Miner 2049er...

there are two space station pheta's...the one you are trying to get to work Is from Tad Woods of T&T software (who also developed the MAC version). It was originally developed in Wycove Forth and distributed with an XB loader, although it does load with E/A 5 (DSK1.FORTH)

I have a version that doesn't generate the master disk error (« SS_PHETA.DSK » 180k attached) but I've never managed to get levels to load sequencially on real iron (it just crashes back to the menu at the end of any selected level (strangely it works perfectly under classic99 though)

What you need is the E/A version by Jeff Bunting, who is on these forums and was nice enough to discuss this game's development a few months ago.(« space station pheta.dsk » 260k attached). It is the version that is available for FR99 & FG99, and it seems is the original.

The levels on each of these versions are completely different, and while I prefer the slower timer countdown on Jeff's version, the Tadd Woods version includes high score saves, selectable level loading, and a level editor, so I would LOVE to see a someone get it to work on a real 4A (an sd-cart version won't do, as the level editor and high scores would not be able to save).

Sad that you can still buy the T & T MAC version online, but I can't find a working copy of their original TI version anywhere.

Anyway, hope the attached dsk's help

SS_PHETA.dsk

Space Station Pheta.dsk

• Like 1

Wow ** ´Perfect Push´ is cool :)

Yup, that one has kept me up until the wee small hours of the morning many times...

Managed to launch the ship 3 times, but that is as far as I've gotten. The clock just gets too fast.

It's kind of like a horizontal scrolling Pengo - but WAY better because of the puzzle element of building the ship!

• Like 1

sPHETA.dsk

T&T Space Station Pheta - Version 1.1

0PHETA0000.dsk

T&T Space Station Pheta - Version 2.1

This version has a funky diskname - you'll need a sector editor like Disk Utilities to correct it.

0c50484554410c0c0c0c - hex - the 0c is FF or formfeed

P H E T A - acsii

You may need to rename this disk to the above for it to work properly.

Both disks are written in Wycove Forth.

You should copy the disks with a sector copy - I don't think a file by file will work.

Forth Gurus - please chime in on this.

Both disks seem to work fine on both my TI systems - one with a Myarc 80 track card and the other is equipped with a Corcomp.

Pheta_21_DOC.pdf

The formatting is pretty cheesy, but that's the way it was set up

Any problems with the dsk images - let me know.

• Like 1

Both disks are written in Wycove Forth.

You should copy the disks with a sector copy - I don't think a file by file will work.

Forth Gurus - please chime in on this.

Yeah—You will definitely get nowhere with a file-by-file copy. Wycove Forth, like TI Forth, uses sector I/O for block/screen I/O, I think (I have never actually used Wycove Forth). If so, blocks are 4 sectors each, beginning with sector 0. Both of the SSP disks are mixed format in that both programs and legitimate Forth blocks are on the disk. The fact that there is a file labelled “SCRNS” on one disk and “_SCREENS” (‘_’ is 0Ch) on the other matters not one whit to block access. Those filenames merely make the blocks, which happen to be in those files, accessible to the file system. In TI Forth, block-only disks usually were set up with a single file named “SCREENS” that completely filled the disk to show to file access programs that the disk is full. Wycove Forth and TI Forth do not care.

It looks like both of these disks are set up to load an E/A5 program with either E/A, option 5, or XB autoload.

In fbForth 2.0, you can view the disk contents as Forth blocks with TIFVU (available in FBLOCKS—check MENU for block to load). There is, however, not much intelligible information. There is more that is readable on 0PHETA0000.dsk than on the other one. 0PHETA0000.dsk has a message like “ILLEGAL TO COPY”, so I suppose it may be using some kind of copy protection.

...lee

• Like 1

I've never found a copy of Warzone II that worked. It requires the original Warzone, of which I have an image, but I've never managed to get that one going.

For some of these that have an XB loader, I'll have to study what the loaders do. I don't really like the idea of a "loader of loaders". I'd prefer a single DSK1.LOAD that lets me just boot each game directly. Needless to say, that'll take some time. Currently, managerial accounting is kicking my ass, so I have to squeeze this in between study time. :)

etownandy,

Might I suggest using BOOT with an Extended Basic as the module in the slot. You can load 24 games and they can either be E/A option 5 or Extended Basic.

BUT,,, I have found a few games/utilities that do not like BOOT. Thankfully, there are not many.

BOOT is powerful! I have it as the opening menu on ALL my systems, including nanoPEB when plugged in.

• Like 1

ya I like to use boot in combination with the nanopeb and XB2.7 because it is so beautifully integrated...

But I created the MBX load program too, just for the fun of having an dedicated MBX title screen to load all the games from (and the fun of having worked on it of course). Back in the days when the 4A was my only computer
(and probably the only computer on my bock!), I had custom loders for all my disk collections.

etownandy, I think my Warzone II is a E/A 5 version that works fine, I'll check and post it if I'm right,

etownandy,

Might I suggest using BOOT with an Extended Basic as the module in the slot. You can load 24 games and they can either be E/A option 5 or Extended Basic.

BUT,,, I have found a few games/utilities that do not like BOOT. Thankfully, there are not many.

BOOT is powerful! I have it as the opening menu on ALL my systems, including nanoPEB when plugged in.

What is this witchcraft ya'll are talking about? BOOT?

What is this witchcraft ya'll are talking about? BOOT?

This is a copy of boot modded for the F18. (I think it adds an 80 column toggle if I'm not mistaken, but I don;t think it is the same as 9640 menu that Ω mentioned)

There is a non F18 version elsewhere in these forums, but the manual still holds true for either, so reading that will give you an idea what it does. The FR99 and FG99's have made it less of a "must-have", but if your TI activities consists of more than just swapping cartridge images and you still spend time loading programs from disks (especially large format emulated disks or RAMdisks) then BOOT is an absolute joy to use.

BOOT-F18A (Mod).zip

BOOT-Documentation.pdf

• Like 2

I've never found a copy of Warzone II that worked. It requires the original Warzone, of which I have an image, but I've never managed to get that one going.

Here ya go...in e/a 5 it's « DSK1.WZ2 » (in XB the autoload kicks - or just delete it)...

mini rant:

damned Windows 10 anniversary update killed my left ALT key making entering int'l characters (like Ω or « » ) via alt codes a real friggin pain! ARRRRGGGHHH! I hate Windows more every single day! Microsoft hasn't had a completely useable os since XP (hell, DOS 6.0 beats Win10!)

Warzone2.dsk

• Like 1