IGNORED

A Disk of Games

etownandy

etownandy,

Might I suggest using BOOT with an Extended Basic as the module in the slot. You can load 24 games and they can either be E/A option 5 or Extended Basic.

BUT,,, I have found a few games/utilities that do not like BOOT. Thankfully, there are not many.

BOOT is powerful! I have it as the opening menu on ALL my systems, including nanoPEB when plugged in.

I love BOOT. Only problem is that it's about 48 sectors (24 each for files BOOT and BOOU). My LOAD program is 10 sectors. The first collection has 19 sectors free, so I'd have to drop a game to make BOOT fit.

Here ya go...in e/a 5 it's « DSK1.WZ2 » (in XB the autoload kicks - or just delete it)...

mini rant:

damned Windows 10 anniversary update killed my left ALT key making entering int'l characters (like Ω or « » ) via alt codes a real friggin pain! ARRRRGGGHHH! I hate Windows more every single day! Microsoft hasn't had a completely useable os since XP (hell, DOS 6.0 beats Win10!)

Well, then I suppose there's something about WZ2 that MAME doesn't like. WZ1 plays just fine, but WZ2 hangs after the title screen.

And yeah, Win10 killed compatibility with most of my GOG games. And it's a pain in the neck to have to roll back the update every time (because even though I've hacked my registry, the Content Creator update still gets downloaded).

Lee

Yes sir , I did.

Not being a programmer at all, I have never really looked into any flavor of Forth. Probably should, huh?

I remember one member of VAST was deep into it - Rene' LeBlanc.

Well, I am a bit prejudiced when it comes to programming languages on the TI-99/4A. I think you would enjoy it. And, with no programming experience, it should be easier to learn than for folks used to other high-level languages.

...lee

• Like 1

Sparkdrummer, once again you've helped me get something working that I had simply written off as unplayable using the nanoPEB !

« □PHETA□□□□ » mounted perfectly to a CF volume and loaded/played without a hitch!. etownandy is probably better to stick with the Jeff Bunting version for his custom disks projects, but thanks for making this dedicated disk image available.

This version2 of the game, with very nice character animation certainly makes it easier not to die accidentally... Pressing "jump" sends you jumping in the last direction you were facing, so in the Jeff Bunting and earlier T&T versions you had to be careful to remember what direction you were last facing since the character was in a locked position, giving the player no visual queues. The clock is still too fast for a puzzle game, so Jeff's version is still preferred in that regard, but if T&T set out to make more of an action arcade game, speeding up the clock was probably the right decision. I also prefer Jeff's level designs. They just seem more clever, and his decision to a new puzzle element to each level, meant you never know what the next screen will introduce.

Most disappointing on this T&T version though, is that it does not save high score as it's predecessor did. Once you've made it to higher levels, it is quite easy to have spent an hour or more playing, and not having even a single high score saved it just unforgivable on a disk based game (high scores saves were a major consideration to my upgrading to a disk drive decades ago (along with faster and non-sequential loading and saving of data of course)).

BUT, I had tried every copy I could find of the T&T versions without success, so your post of a working copy of one of my favourite TI platformers is VERY appreciated, and as I said, this is not the first time you've been helpful to me getting things working (or working as well as can be on my recently very wonky nanoPEB (think I need a new power adapter - or maybe I'll just wait for the expected next iteration of the nano itself).

And Lee, you are absolutely correct! I have been absolutely blown away by the speed and capabilities of the various Forths on the TI (I acquired a turboforth eprom just so I could play Darkstar!), but have found that my knowledge of BASIC and C really got in my way when trying to teach myself (old dog/new tricks syndrome). Retirement is fast approaching, affording more time for such things, and learning Forth is one of those deferred projects that I'd like to tackle before the old synapses give out completely.

• Like 1

Good surprise!

I also bitched too soon. Version 2.1 would not save my high score, because I had not beaten the default high score (stupid me did not see it hiding in plain sight on the title screen). Once I beat that, it did indeed ask me to enter my name, and a reboot confirmed that it saved. It also has a much more lengthy string for high scores than most games of the time allowing me to enter PEBO 18.09.17 with several characters to spare (that would of course be PEBO 09.18.17 in the U.S. (which I admit works much better when date stamping folders))

So that's two great games - the disk version of Warzone II and the T&T versions of SSPheta with permanent high scores! Can anyone think of others? (I guess ALL the Moonbeam games could be easily tweaked to save out to disk (or cassette if you make sure not to rewind after loading a game)) I've thought about adding a saved leaderboard to Par Fore Golf after finding any type of ending sequence absent in that otherwise great golf game (the game literally just ends.)

I just found yet another Wycove Forth version of Spacestation Pheta. It came with 2 disk sides - side one was the game and side two was how to play - both load and run in Forth. I think this could have been the first release - there is no version noted.

PHETAGAME.DSK

You will need to sector copy this disk.

PHETAINSTS.DSK

This disk didn't seem to give a shit if it was sector copied or not.

PhetaDoc.pdf

This was the d/v80 file on the disk - I converted to pdf.

• Like 1

Well, then I suppose there's something about WZ2 that MAME doesn't like.

Runs for me. I just tried, and I could select all functions with the joystick and also start the game. Are you sure that the game does not just wait for you to move the joystick up? (Remember to release Alpha Lock.)

Runs for me. I just tried, and I could select all functions with the joystick and also start the game. Are you sure that the game does not just wait for you to move the joystick up? (Remember to release Alpha Lock.)

Yeah...I get the black title screen, disk activity, then the screen clears (to black) with a flash of a blue bar in the bottom third or so of the screen and nothing beyond. Other games work fine (as does my joystick emulation from the keyboard, including "up").

I hadn't updated MAME since the changes with the ioport. So I did that, and (of course) now I can't figure out how to get my disk drives to show up. BWG is inserted in slot 8, but the drop downs for the drives no longer appear in QMC2. Is there a command line you could send me so I can check against that?

Edited by etownandy

mame64 ti99_4a -cart exbasic -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Warzone2.dsk

You have to use the internal 32K mem expansion, not the peripheral card 32K mem. I don't know why it fails with the external memory.

To activate the internal mod, press ScrlLock, Tab, go to "Machine configuration" and activate the internal memory. Remove the external 32kmem in command lines.

mame64 ti99_4a -cart exbasic -ioport peb -ioport:peb:slot8 bwg -flop1 Warzone2.dsk

You have to use the internal 32K mem expansion, not the peripheral card 32K mem. I don't know why it fails with the external memory.

To activate the internal mod, press ScrlLock, Tab, go to "Machine configuration" and activate the internal memory. Remove the external 32kmem in command lines.

OK, that worked. Must have been a problem in an older version of MAME. I've got a ticket opened with the QMC folks on the missing disk drive drop-downs (ahhh...alliteration....)

I've got a ticket opened with the QMC folks on the missing disk drive drop-downs (ahhh...alliteration....)

Hmm ... it seems to me as if QMC2 does not update its slot list when a slot selection has been done. In particular, by plugging in the PEB you should get seven more slots. I posted a comment on the QMC2 forum; let's see what they make of it.

Hmm ... it seems to me as if QMC2 does not update its slot list when a slot selection has been done. In particular, by plugging in the PEB you should get seven more slots. I posted a comment on the QMC2 forum; let's see what they make of it.

On the Mac version, at least, I get the 8 slots, but not the "sub slots" for the disk drives. Weird. Sorry...I should have sent this to a new thread. :)

Getting back to the subject...a few of the suggestions for a "second volume" would actually span several disks (maybe two games per...so it enters "what's the point" territory for me). Miner 2049er is a great fit - 3 EA 5 files. The Comprodine stuff is all fantastic - Warzone, Backstein, Living Tomb - but they look to be too big. I'll poke around my collection for other EA5 titles, but keep suggestions coming.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...